• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, DavidM said:

You play York at home though don’t you , so there’s a chance to gain an advantage 

Indeed, and we've already beaten them away, so whilst York are a very good side and the score was very close at their place, we'll probably start favourites. But, of course, if the favourites always won I could have given up the day job years ago and made a comfortable living playing the horses...

To be honest, it's far too early in the season to be obsessing about points difference - it's more likely to be won and lost on match points anyway and, whichever way it goes, I suspect that will be the case this season. The one thing which is a worry though is a guy I heard this morning, he has a fair way to travel from the midlands to Odsal and  most likely won't bother for our game against West Wales this weekend - all because of the York result.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

14 hours ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I'm very surprised no one has mentioned Yorks other record - the victory in the Challenge Cup v Northumbria University.

I was there for that,as well. - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/9417043.stm

The jolly good news is,since then,coached by the current Thunder coach,Northumbria University have enjoyed some success

http://www.rugby-league.com/leagues__competitions/national_conference_league/article/39649/northumbria-crowned-national-university-champions

...and probably a bit more.

West Wales had another complete change of personnel.4or 5,possibly 6 of the 6 midweek signings were in the 17.

The 2 joint captains were missing - Morgan Evans and Connor Parker and the debuting half back had his knee and surrounding area heavily strapped.One forward was supended and there is a plethora of injuries and absentees.

The York side contained Keiron Moss - parent club Hull Kr and I believe Mick Gledhill and fellow Bradford fans voted his try v Sheffield in The Championship as try of that season.He can run a bit.

Jake Butler Fleming - was Hull KR,went to full-time Championship club Toronto - another Australian,that's them what you know,can't and shouldn't be allowed to play for those horrid expansion clubs in London or Bridgend.Thus spake the heartland fans - and a coach who signs players from higher leagues to get out of the league his side may be in.

Anyway,our side hadn't introduced themselves to each other - James Ford has been the longest coach at a side in League 1 - even if Martin Offiah,Linford Christie and Mo whoever,had been stuck in a coach from west/south Wales and travelled on the day of the game/run they wouldn't be at their best.

West Wales weren't at their best.The League 1 experienced side - with their additions and their experience at a higher level - mullered the extremely depleted League 1 virgins.

Do clubs where a lot of expense has been invested not think that they should?  

Must praise the York player Connor Robinson - not so much for what he did on the field during play - but immediately at the sound of the siren/hooter went to the bench of the West Wales Raiders side and shook the hands of all 4 players not so much to console but intent to lift their spirits.Top man - as of course was head coach James Ford.

Our centres and wingers have never been together thus far in the season.Our last line of defence was on his debut.

It was painful but I got to see some top quality rugby league at a fair price 

The best side forced the goal line drop out....Thank You!

You omitted to mention that several of the clubs best players from last season moved on.. Emmanueli, Bateman and Vitalini to Coventry..........and what has happened to Connor Farrer ?

Wonder what real incentive there is for some of the 'amateur' RL players down there to go to West Wales as a club ? Remember seeing a rangy fullback called Davies playing in a 'pre' game at Blackwood a few seasons back - he looked a very good player

47 minutes ago, andyacko said:

You omitted to mention that several of the clubs best players from last season moved on.. Emmanueli, Bateman and Vitalini to Coventry..........and what has happened to Connor Farrer ?

Wonder what real incentive there is for some of the 'amateur' RL players down there to go to West Wales as a club ? Remember seeing a rangy fullback called Davies playing in a 'pre' game at Blackwood a few seasons back - he looked a very good player

And very grateful Coventry are for them too. All cracking players. The Bears have a handful of Welsh player now who are all fantastic. 

West Wales are effectively a new club (especially since Merthyr and Llanelli are not exactly close together) so it was always going to be difficult to keep existing south Wales players. 

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:03 PM, Wellsy4HullFC said:

But before SL there wasn't a club in Wales anyway (not one that did well if there was one) so can't exactly blame them.

There have been several RL clubs in Wales prior to Super League. I went to Ninian park to watch Salford play Cardiff Blue Dragons in 1981. The Welsh clubs are not exactly doing well now are they? Some people seem to think I'm ant-expansion but I travelled from Salford to watch all of Celtic Crusaders home games (When they existed) apart from about 4, and John Deveroux presented me with the supporter of the year trophy on the pitch. I also watched all but 1 of South Wales Scorpions home games in their first season. I have visited nearly all of the Welsh amateur clubs and have been to many other amateur and semi-pro sides from Durham City Tigers to Ipswich Rhinos and Devon Sharks. A lot of people in South Wales have favourite RL teams but they are traditionalists and RU will always come first. A lot of good work is going on in schools in South Wales and they have always produced great RL players but they will be snapped up by Supert Greed clubs in the North because Welsh clubs can't afford to keep them. Somebody in a earlier reply asked what this thread has to do with Super League? Rugby League is not a wealthy sport and cannot afford Super clubs. If Sky pulled out tomorrow SL would die in days. The money that does come into RL is not distributed fairly and it is slowly killing the clubs below SL off. It hurts me to see this happening. As I have mentioned on another post I will probably ban myself from these forums after today because it winds me up too much.

Deary me , I’m not sure Wayne Bennett assisted by Craig Bellamy would have a chance . Coach has took the rap and the people above him admitted didn’t they it was their mistakes 

52 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

West Wales Raiders have parted company with their head coach.

I bet Bradford Bulls are worried about the game this weekend when the famous

" new coach effect" kicks in?

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

48 minutes ago, AB Knight said:

West Wales Raiders have parted company with their head coach.

There were dual head coaches at the start of the campaign.

Both Jon Ellis,who has been involved in development,and Phil Carleton,who was the head coach at South Wales Scorpions/Ironmen.

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

He’s probably the one who’s brought in sub standard players, maybe they’re thinking a different coach can attract the right ones in

How do you conclude there are/they are sub-standard players?  The young hooker at York,the game to which the thread head relates,( please be gone,soonest! ) was in the squad at the start of the season and was probably 4th choice behind Connor Farrer,Steve Parry and Dean Higgs,all of whom are older and more experienced.

Because of unavailability,many due to injury,the side on Sunday was not the first choice.Whoever the coach may have been.

Having 2 head coaches has not worked elsewhere and has not worked in other sports.

Reading the club statement it would seem the future of Phil Carleton is not assured.

This,the parting of Jon Ellis,the future of Phil Carleton,and the vortex of vitriol from the idiot writing in the York Press,and other experts from outside the club,have made it extraordinarily difficult for the players,whoever they might be,when they turn out at Odsal.

Thank goodness for the calming and sage rugby league man,and gentleman,that is John Kear,the Welsh coach. 

Let's hope more than Archie Snook can impress him

Get me to Odsal....the shouts of forward will be an oasis of calm after the celebratory try music at York.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

I know a lad who was recruited from NWML Division Three - previously he had never been anywhere near a pro club - that is sub standard for even a League One club.

I’m sure there are good enough players there but when “fillers in” are being recruited like above, it’s not a surprise what happened with the scoreline last week.

I don't think anyone is putting down the efforts of the Raiders players who did take the field on Sunday and not trying to make things difficult for them ahead of the trip to Odsal - they didn't slow the game down, no cheap shots, and didn't just roll over unlike a few weeks previously when a London Skolars player got the ball and straight away fell in front of the tackler, clearly he didn't want to be tackled. Also James Ford shaking the Raiders players hands and Connor Robinson doing the same to the bench.

The criticism on the whole is levelled at the way its being run so far. Loan players and a DR should have been in place before the season began. You have a situation where the press release says they were concentrating on off field matters too much, yet for whatever reason a doctor wasn't in place for the opening match. Then today's statement says head coach Ellis is released, yet it also states 'although Mr Ellis is not directly involved in the first team' so why is he head coach and what kind of structure do they have in place to determine a head coach isn't directly involved in the 1st team? And if he's not directly involved why has he been dismissed for the 1st team result? Its bizarre! 

I want to see West Wales succeed. The handful of Raiders fans I spoke to on Sunday were knowledgeable, decent people who'd had one hell of a trip up which you have to admire. Likewise last season South Wales brought a good vocal number to York. I'm looking forward to the return trip to West Wales.

But its clear they need help, because the season has only just started and on and off the field things are not looking or sounding good. They need advice and support. And simply saying we are making it difficult for the inexperienced players isn't true. Some of the decisions made by the club have made it difficult for the players, not the comments of a handful of totalrl posters and a York Press reporter.

I agree the try scoring music got annoying after a while on Sunday though!

Best of luck for the rest of the season and I look forward to attending Stebonheath Park in August :-)

On 30/04/2018 at 2:28 PM, TrueBull said:

I don't think York have been to Cumbria yet either.....

no but we have been to Oldham , Donny and Thunder.

....and played Swinton on a neutral ground in the cup.

Archived