Super League Structure Sorted Within Next Fortnight

35 minutes ago, Krzzystuff said:

Possible solution for 2021 but right now they are just scrapping the 8's and duct taping the leaky raft to make it to 2021. it won't be pretty and most won't be happy but no one wants to sink so we will ride the leaky raft to 2021 and look for a new vessel at that point.

They have said many times now that any promotions and relegation's are binding this year so no one will be saved/blocked.

I'm not sure how DJB coming back to Leigh will be beneficial as he clearly isn't that wealthy and he's not the best at making great business decisions. Would any leighthers want him back?

Firstly Krzzy its Leyther's, I am sure our name will pop up on these pages in the very near future, whether it will be good our bad depends on the attitude towards the Leigh club by the individual, the correction given if you care to use that name in comment again.

Secondly, your question, DJB made some horrendous mistakes which are well documented but most people learn by those mistakes, his heart is at the club he has been attending standing on the terraces since he was a young boy, yes I would have him back, his biggest cardinal sins were the employment of 2 individuals who showed promise but did not aspire to the level required, if he got that right we would never have been relegated from SL in the first place, but he employed tgem with the best of intentions, it backfired. 

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’d like to introduce you to “League XIII”, the brand new Super League 2.0. It will consist of a thirteen team “Super League” that has a bye weekend incorporated into the season and it’s participants are decided by a licencing system based on a number of criteria. 

The league is won by the winner of a Grand Final and the play-off system is the top five. There is no relegation from League XIII, though teams must either re-submit or submit new applications on a three year cycle. 

The Challenge Cup Final is moved to May. The league is 24 games long with a standard home and away set of fixtures before the play-off’s kick off. 

And therein your problems begin.

1 hour ago, Colliwobble said:

When you say every sport in the land, you mean Football!

Rugby Union has a play off, as does Basketball, Netball, Ice Hockey, T20 Cricket and the NFL (ok, not in the UK but very popular here and growing in interest).

Fed up of everyone trying to turn Rugby League into a carbon-copy of the Football season with the excuse 'it's how we used to do it'.

Check your history, from the start of the 20th century up until 1973, Champions were decided by a play-off (barring 2 seasons in the early 60's) and there was no relegation (Lancashire and Yorkshire Leagues with inter-league fixtures going towards top 4 play off).

We need to go with what works and what will attract new fans and corporate interest in the game! 

Transporting the structure back to 1980 won't solve the game's woes!

You misunderstood what I said. My opinion was and is that in ANY sport be it tiddlywinks to football, I see whoever has finished top of their respective leagues over the course of a season to be the 'champions'. It may be a minority view, it may be old fashioned, but proving yourself over a season for me deserves more recognition than a few knockout games at the end of a season. 

4 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Looks like the two tens logical way forward is going to happen at last supported by an increased sky offering for more games. We have 12 FT clubs in SL and the T6 in the championship had 1 point between 2nd and 6th, that's 18 competitive clubs plus Bradford and another French club for me.

Funding has always been simple but the increased money for the Sunday 5.30pm game to add to Toronto and France games on Saturday enables all SL2 clubs to spend the 1.8m and SL1 to go to 2.5m - we must ensure its spent though and reserves are a must.

Top SL2 goes up bottom SL1 goes down, then 4 clubs play off to stay/win a SL spot, 1V4 and 2V3 to decide Grand Finalists. 27 fixtures before play offs.

Every club with current ambition would be in those 20, 3 year licence and look to expand not shrink the 20.

Leigh are saved and Beaumont returns

IF this was the road we ended up going down it would be interesting to see how many posters complaining about super league being a 12 team closed shop would change their opinions if it became a 20 team closed shop, as long as their team had made the cut into the 20?! For me, as a Fev fan, ANY structure that cut off and cast adrift ANY team would not get my support. There must be a clear, unambiguous pathway from the bottom to the top that would allow any team a passage through the system to fulfil their ambitions. Even West Wales Raiders must have, if they so choose, the ability to go as far as they can. No closed shops for me, whether my team is in one or outside one.

We live in a brand new world whether we like it or not. What are the two biggest money makers in the world? 1.Tourism and 2.Sport. Banks, governments and industry all rely to a huge extent on the above. I'll destroy any argument that says otherwise. So what has that got to do with RL? Simple. SKY have been getting our sport on the cheap for years. Not only that, they have been running our sport for years. If we are insignificant why did SKY and Premier get involved in the first place? It's time our 'leaders' got some balls and demand double, at least, the money we receive  now. How we would spend that is another argument. Man up SL and RFL (but that's another argument) and demand the respect this great game deserves.

7 hours ago, The Blues Ox said:

I were going to post similar but you put it far better. Building the championship up to the point where you could have maybe 6 teams ready to step in to SL is really a no brainer. Cut their funding and that will drop off to the point where there are no teams capable of stepping up and then the knock on effect from that will be certain teams in SL getting weaker and eventually diluting the competition with no real hope of ever expanding it. The rich get rich and the poor get poorer the only difference then will be that that the ones getting poorer will be the lower SL clubs rather than the Championship clubs.

We are getting there now with the current system to be fair.

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah

7 minutes ago, TMF said:

We live in a brand new world whether we like it or not. What are the two biggest money makers in the world? 1.Tourism and 2.Sport. Banks, governments and industry all rely to a huge extent on the above. I'll destroy any argument that says otherwise. So what has that got to do with RL? Simple. SKY have been getting our sport on the cheap for years. Not only that, they have been running our sport for years. If we are insignificant why did SKY and Premier get involved in the first place? It's time our 'leaders' got some balls and demand double, at least, the money we receive  now. How we would spend that is another argument. Man up SL and RFL (but that's another argument) and demand the respect this great game deserves.

I'd be interested in your sources for your argument that Tourism nd Sport are "...the two biggest money makers in the world".  And how you define "money-makers"? You must be totally confident of your facts, to assert that you would "destroy any argument that says otherwise" -  strange language for a forum like this, but no matter.

Regardless, though, I'm not sure what world you are living in?  Not the real commercial world, I suggest, if you think we can demand double the current deal of Sky?

Sky's business model is under very severe threat - same as every other "traditional" broadcaster's is.  Not least from the US streaming giants. As an example, when I was in NZ earlier this year I learned that Sky had lost a massive number of subscribers over the previous year.  This coincided with ultrafast broadband being rolled out across the country, and massive migration to Netflix. Folk I spoke to said the sport was too expensive, and that they were paying for stuff they were not interested in. Across all channels, not just sport.

I chucked Sky a couple of years ago, then was tempted back.  But no way will I pay for the sports.  And I'm just about to finally chuck them again and subscribe to Netflix (already have Amazon).  For the same reasons as folk in NZ were telling us.

In NZ, Sky have had to dramatically reduce their charges, to try and arrest the severe haemorrhaging of its subscriber base. I can see that happening here, as the streaming services become more widely used.

Against this (global) background, why do you think Sky would pay more..."at least DOUBLE"?  Where is the competition?  We had BT in the wings last time.  Now, BT has chucked in the towel and is taking Sky content and not bidding against them for major sports.  Who else is waiting there to pay loads more than now?  And why is the SL product so much better now than it was then? When most objective observers - and me - feel it has at best stagnated.

And again, most objective commentators (and me) expect Sky's next offer to be less, not more than last time.  Absent some massive change in the RL offering to justify a shedload more If the RL negotiators pitched in with a  demand for more than double, as you urge them to do, IMO they will be laughed out of the building as the bluff is called big-time.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts.

Bury your memories; bury your friends. Leave it alone for a year or two.  Till the stories grow hazy, and the legends come true.  Then do it again - some things never end.

Just listened to radio Manchester and the two reporters interviewed were adamant that the word from lenegan and Elstone is the announcement will confirm that the eights will not be in the next season. 

No eights next season.

12 team SL with loop fixtures.

One up, one down plus a £1M game between 11th in SL and 2nd in Championship.

14 team Championship - one down, three up this season.

Sounds like fun!

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Just now, Blind side johnny said:

No eights next season.

12 team SL with loop fixtures.

One up, one down plus a £1M game between 11th in SL and 2nd in Championship.

14 team Championship - one down, three up this season.

Sounds like fun!

Is that your opinion, or what has been announced?

I'd take that.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

According to Mascord, as much as that means, It is confirmed that that Toronto will be promoted if they qualify (Somebody keep an eye on Parky and tell him everything will be ok, stroke his hair, get him some warm milk and hold him close while he cries himself to sleep)

Also they will start the season away while Toronto warms up which is obviously sensible. They should go one further and play all their home games in the summer so we have extra content to sell to sky while the football isnt on.

Where is this info? I'm trying to find it.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Just now, scotchy1 said:

Twitter, wont let me embedd the tweet for some reason.

In relation to a couple of “golden points” being raised on @SkySportsRL my understanding is a) The Wolfpack did get the expected written guarantee that they will be admitted to Super League if they earn it and b) they’ll take early home games on the road until Toronto warms up.

This is it for Toronto then...the door is open, time to go in or it might close....what an opportunity and only in Year 2!  If we can beat Hull we are in a great position.

3 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

This is it for Toronto then...the door is open, time to go in or it might close....what an opportunity and only in Year 2!  If we can beat Hull we are in a great position.

Anybody can, and often do, beat Hull Kman. It’s nothing to write home about believe me.

rldfsignature.jpg

Just now, deluded pom? said:

Anybody can, and often do, beat Hull Kman. It’s nothing to write home about believe me.

Well it will be for us if we can do it....might be the breakthrough in the Toronto sporting scene we have been waiting for....would be big news over here I think.  I think this might very well be the biggest game so far for us.

4 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I think this might very well be the biggest game so far for us.

It definitely is, it's the first time a SL team has played in Toronto...the first of many.

4 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Well it will be for us if we can do it....might be the breakthrough in the Toronto sporting scene we have been waiting for....would be big news over here I think.  I think this might very well be the biggest game so far for us.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Kman. Next RL lesson. You are not playing Hull on Saturday. You are playing Rovers. Hull are the ones who play in black and white and aren’t playing for SL survival.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

But they’re not. Just get the job done Krzzy. Half of Hull will be TWP fans on Saturday. Don’t let us down.

You have the retro themed Wolfpack kit? looks Hullish

Just now, Krzzystuff said:

You have the retro themed Wolfpack kit? looks Hullish

Retro!!! You’ve only been going five minutes. All I’ve seen TWP play in is an all black shirt with shadow print wolf head or an all white shirt with shadow print wolf head. Nothing like Hull.

rldfsignature.jpg

10 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Retro!!! You’ve only been going five minutes. All I’ve seen TWP play in is an all black shirt with shadow print wolf head or an all white shirt with shadow print wolf head. Nothing like Hull.

image.png.ca3ccb01cf2ebb108c21e7d24c3fce31.png

We have a short history but is sure is full of W's isn't it? 2 years old (almost) and 3 RFL ashtrays in the bag baby!!! next year we want a trophy!! We will settle for the SL monstrosity but its the CC beauty we want.

Archived