Batley at home.

spanishknight

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, spanishknight said:

We play Rochdale next week, it was postponed because of wind a few weeks ago.

Ah yes, my mistake. Aren't Shef a game behind too??

A valuable two points. Well done. Batley were a tough side so you can see why they have finished well above the Championship safety line year after year. It was always going to be much closer that the bookies claimed. Now up to fifth. Rochdale, who got taken apart at home to a Fev are up next.

Beer and York Knights. Proof the God loves us and wants us to be happy. 🍺🏉

Good game today  , knights stuck to the game plan despite Batley trying to frustrate at the ruck , another 2 points and were still marching on.

Up the resilient kneets???

Another two points. Now up to fifth. Batley were a tough side but we all knew that. We showed resilience to stick in there when they came at us in the last quarter. Well done to all concerned. Next up Rochdale at windy old Spotland. Talking of wind, Fev blew them away today on their own patch. I’d settle for another two points to consolidate our position in the play off zone. Up the Knights.

Two posts from me. I thought the one above hadn’t posted.

We do struggle on the right wing, Mazive was out of line a few times today and left us wide open .

3 scores up with 20 mins to go, We should have been home and dry but sloppy defence let them back in.

Need to tighten defence a bit and protect the wing . Widnes away in a few weeks and fev in 2 weeks we need to be taking points in these games to keep pressure on other teams around us .

53 minutes ago, trig said:

We do struggle on the right wing, Mazive was out of line a few times today and left us wide open .

3 scores up with 20 mins to go, We should have been home and dry but sloppy defence let them back in.

Need to tighten defence a bit and protect the wing . Widnes away in a few weeks and fev in 2 weeks we need to be taking points in these games to keep pressure on other teams around us .

Loss of two men for a good deal of the match and very tired bodies from last week meant it was always going to be tough going into the final quarter. The guys did a great job to hold on.

Well said Jon. 

There aren’t many teams who wouldn't miss Ash Robson, Matt Chilton, Ben Cockayne, Sam Scott, Harry Carter and Joe Porter. Then losing Jack Teanby and Graeme Horne early today didn't help. On top of that the return to parent clubs of a Joe Batchelor and Nick Rawsthorne. After the tough Easter we had, to come up with two wins out of five (including today’s game) is a great achievement, particularly when you look who we were up against! Don’t forget Widnes (who we played twice) were two divisions above us last year. Take a bow York City Knights. You are doing us very proud!

Well said Jon and WK. It might not be good for the ticker but i’d much rather have games like this, which are a real test, than some of the one-sided games we had last year. We have to truly earn the points! And those were two hard earned and deserved points today. Up the Knights.

Tough game today and just about deserved the win,but the post match interview with Radio York sounded like he was a frustrated person with certain things with what the asparations are for the Knights for the rest of the season.It came across he wanted John Flatman to back him in getting more signings in or the Knights settling for finishing midtable,but what I don't want the Knights to do is overspend and end up like Widnes or Leigh and having to start again as we have come a long way in a short space of time.

Didn't expect anything different today, Batley are a good team and losing Horne was a big blow. Good crowd of 1978 to say so far Batley have brought the smallest following (I thought Swinton brought a few more), can't fault the backing they gave their players though. Batley's centre (no 24) to say he looked nearly 7ft tall was pushed towards the touchline everytime, would've expected him to have a bit more power. We took our chances and have another vital 2 points, that'll do me.

Effort and resilience got us through today as it often does! I thought Batley played some very good rugby today, I'm surprised they havnt won more games this year on that showing, really stuck to the task and finished best. Also surprised they have such a small traveling crowd. 

I didn't think we were bad defensively today, late on we tired, but in this league with such a hard fixture list and the size of our squad at this time of year its always going to be a hard slog. When our backs were against the wall in the final 10mins we dug in and ground out the win.

Well done stars to connor and bassie who again had crackers and the two loan players had massive games. I do think the club needs to put its hand in its pocket n back up this tremendous start with some fresh legs. We can not keep going to the same well week after week, eventually it will run dry. 

Interesting to hear fordy say on radio york that he needs more players urgently. hopefully we can find the cash n the players!

Just now, paul said:

Tough game today and just about deserved the win,but the post match interview with Radio York sounded like he was a frustrated person with certain things with what the asparations are for the Knights for the rest of the season.It came across he wanted John Flatman to back him in getting more signings in or the Knights settling for finishing midtable,but what I don't want the Knights to do is overspend and end up like Widnes or Leigh and having to start again as we have come a long way in a short space of time.

Interesting reading the latest Chairman’s notes, Jon finished by saying ‘I would like to also urge each and everyone to continue to support the club in every way possible.’ I suspect the two are linked. It’s not rocket science that the more financial support a club gets the better equipped it is to grow. I too don’t want boom and bust, but instead sustained growth. 2,000 today against a mid table side with a modest away following was absolutely brilliant and shows just how far the club has come. But we all know we need to keep growing income streams to be able to move forward. Bigger crowds, increased sponsorship and fundraising are perhaps the most obvious areas. I do think the community stadium will help in that respect, but not until next season. Answers on a post card please.

3 hours ago, spanishknight said:

As the saying goes, a wins a win, glad we kept our cool when the niggling started from them.

Or as the Rochdale saying goes, John, a winds a wind !

This years objective was to guarantee championship football for next season , let's build and grow responsibly , Toronto will be in superleague next season , then our chance will come to spend some cash .

Up the patient kneets???

28 minutes ago, Fenton Knight said:

Interesting reading the latest Chairman’s notes, Jon finished by saying ‘I would like to also urge each and everyone to continue to support the club in every way possible.’ I suspect the two are linked. It’s not rocket science that the more financial support a club gets the better equipped it is to grow. I too don’t want boom and bust, but instead sustained growth. 2,000 today against a mid table side with a modest away following was absolutely brilliant and shows just how far the club has come. But we all know we need to keep growing income streams to be able to move forward. Bigger crowds, increased sponsorship and fundraising are perhaps the most obvious areas. I do think the community stadium will help in that respect, but not until next season. Answers on a post card please.

We can all help with that by trying to raise the profile of the club in the local area simply by talking about the match day experience with the Knights on social media and the like. Interaction with BBC RY by text or tweet about the Knights, particularly during our sports coverage, may persuade uncommitted listeners to turn up on a Sunday to see what it's all about.

Same goes for The Press, Facebook, Twitter etc etc.

Shout about our fabulous team, tell anyone and everyone and, with luck, the gates and income will rise and bring in those players we need.

You can help.

1 hour ago, andyacko said:

We can all help with that by trying to raise the profile of the club in the local area simply by talking about the match day experience with the Knights on social media and the like. Interaction with BBC RY by text or tweet about the Knights, particularly during our sports coverage, may persuade uncommitted listeners to turn up on a Sunday to see what it's all about.

Shout about our fabulous team, tell anyone and everyone and, with luck, the gates and income will rise and bring in those players we need.

You can help.

this post nails it..we have 7 WP season ticket holders in our family group...for our Lamport opener against Swinton I urged them all to bring along 2-3 friends who had never been to a game and we ended up at 34 or almost 4 to one...all raved about it and we will get a bunch of returnees for certain. Our game against the Kneets on Aug 10th is close enough to my birthday to take the place of a party and we are using this in a push to replicate the Swinton number. Gotta admit I'm shameless and relentless about getting numbers out to games..don't take NO for an answer..your team deserves no less! 

41 minutes ago, andyacko said:

You can help.

Andy, I managed to get the last copy of your book from the club shop prior to the game! Looking forward to it.

Regarding the game today, I can't remember any other game this season where we have  made less line breaks and had the opposition scrambling back to cover. The break for Ronan's try, and a half break from Perry in the first half was about it. We were playing on adrenaline at the end. We have a small squad, 27, and 6 or 7 of them are injured,  we do need reinforcements from somewhere to bolster the squad and give some of them a breather. Some tough games on the horizon, any more injuries, and we may struggle to get 17 on the pitch. For what it is worth, I think we probably are already safe from relegation, but we've had a great first half of the season, let us hope we can keep this fantastic run going. 

Archived