Uninteresting Trivial Facts

Hooray got to speak with someone after an hour on hold.

Apparently when I started my new job earlier this year their system assumes I will also continue to receive the previous salary too so they based the tax code on that....sadly my previous employer stopped paying me when I stopped working for them. Is that not normal...?

So HMRC assume when you change job you get paid by both companies moving forward......makes perfect sense....

Hooray got to speak with someone after an hour on hold.

Apparently when I started my new job earlier this year their system assumes I will also continue to receive the previous salary too so they based the tax code on that....sadly my previous employer stopped paying me when I stopped working for them. Is that not normal...?

So HMRC assume when you change job you get paid by both companies moving forward......makes perfect sense....

That's your old company's fault for not closing you down on PAYE.  New live PAYE system is confusing a lot of people, including some of the biggest companies in the UK.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

That's your old company's fault for not closing you down on PAYE.  New live PAYE system is confusing a lot of people, including some of the biggest companies in the UK.

That would make sense as despite being a reasonable sized company the payroll folk were mostly trained chimps who were only there because it was warm and there was free unlimited coffee.

In theory:

Recycling is a financial con on the respectable public. People spend at least £1 on petrol and spend an hour to load and deliver recyclable waste with a value of  50p to a household waste site. Then they see disrespectable traders dumping commercial waste in the skips to avoid paying the correct disposal fee.

In practice:

Most of those members of the respectable public, particularly the retirees, actually love going there. It gives them a feeling of being a good citizen and is something of a social outing. They all talk among themselves about the dodgy traders and meet up with people they haven't seen for yonks.

Recycling is a con. It is the easy face of joe public environmentalism. Very much down on the scale of responsible environmental solutions.

Low Moor Railway Station will open next year. It will be a one-mile walk from there to the mighty Odsal Stadium.

Wolers, any plans for a real ale pub on the station, or nearby to attract the users of the Caldervale line including rugby supporters?

Two real ale pubs right opposite the station: The George and the Black Horse.

One real ale pub right opposite the ground: The Top House

One halfway to the ground, but it doesn't sell real ale ... the Chapel House

One next to the ground, but it doesn't sell real ale ... the Cue Gardens

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Two real ale pubs right opposite the station: The George and the Black Horse.

One real ale pub right opposite the ground: The Top House

One halfway to the ground, but it doesn't sell real ale ... the Chapel House

One next to the ground, but it doesn't sell real ale ... the Cue Gardens

Should be enough for the thirsty wanderer, provided the quality is good.

6743386-3x2-700x467.jpg

This sheep was found yesterday on the outskirts of Canberra and yielded 40.45kg of wool. The previous world record was a NZ sheep found wild in the bush named Shrek, which yielded 27kg.

6743386-3x2-700x467.jpg

This sheep was found yesterday on the outskirts of Canberra and yielded 40.45kg of wool. The previous world record was a NZ sheep found wild in the bush named Shrek, which yielded 27kg.

Shrek even made it into the news in the UK.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

My car passed its MOT today.  No advisories.

Are you still driving an Audi, Craig? And did you sort out the problem you had a year or two ago?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

Are you still driving an Audi, Craig? And did you sort out the problem you had a year or two ago?

Yes, but a different one, I have an A6 now.  Old one has gone to the great car maker in the sky, gearbox spectacularly dead and beyond any economic repair or replacement.  Car scrapper paid me a very good price for the car as broken down for 2nd hand parts it still had a good few thousand pounds of value.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I got the ABC to change one of their stories. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-09/tassie-devils-unveiled/6761688

Originally the second paragraph said, "Located at an altitude of just over 13,000 metres......"  I sent them an email asking how they'd managed to defeat gravity to keep this facility running and how the Devils managed to breathe at that altitude.

Going by my Facebook feed today, there are some very religious people who are going to be terribly disappointed if there really is a heaven as they'll be turned away for spectacularly missing the point.

"Apple with its latest operating system is about to open up a new front in the war against online ads," software developer Dr David Glance said."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-17/apple-enables-ad-blocking-on-new-ios-9-software-update/6783246

ORLY? SRSLY? Surely they can't be announcing the invention of Ad Blocker?