spuggies and jackdaws and hedgehogs and frogs

9 hours ago, DavidM said:

Bird of prey landed in my garden this morning . I presume it was aforementioned sparrow hawk but I noticed it had white spots or blotches on its back so I don’t know if that’s normal 

A seagull had been cadging a lift and $h!t on its back.

• Haha 2

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Holy peregrines!  It's that time of year again.

The religiously oriented peregrine breeding that I know of seems to be going like this.

Wakefield Cathedral - i egg so far (new female, as old one died last Autumn)

Lincoln Cathedral - has peregrines, but I know no more (other than that one of the birds is from a Wakefield Cathedral brood)

Norwich Cathedral - 1 egg so far

Chichester Cathedral - 1 so far

Winchester cathedral - 3 so far (very experienced female; may lay a fourth as in one or two previous years)

Salisbury Cathedral - 4 eggs and that will be it.

St John's Church, Bath - 2 so far

St Mary's Church, Andover - 2 so far

Most of the above have live webcams. 

Does anybody know of peregrines elsewhere?

Edited by Wiltshire Warrior Dragon
typing errors

2 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Holy peregrines!  It's that time of year again.

The religiously oriented peregrine breeding that I know of seems to be going like this.

Wakefield Cathedral - i egg so far (new female, as old one died last Autumn)

Lincoln Cathedral - has peregrines, but I know no more (other than that one of the birds is from a Wakefield Cathedral brood)

Norwich Cathedral - 1 egg so far

Chichester Cathedral - 1 so far

Winchester cathedral - 3 so far (very experienced female; may lay a fourth as in one or two previous years)

Salisbury Cathedral - 4 eggs and that will be it.

St John's Church, Bath - 2 so far

St Mary's Church, Andover - 2 so far

Most of the above have live webcams. 

Does anybody know of peregrines elsewhere?

Not peregrines but Poole Harbour Osprey nest cam can be found here  

https://www.birdsofpooleharbour.co.uk/osprey/osprey-webcams/

Birds returned yesterday - not great timing given the oil spill

Still from this morning

FsN2VnkXwAIkHbF?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Thanks 1

This is my kind of news article 

A pet tortoise was saved by firefighters who gave it a midget-sized oxygen face mask to breathe.

The animal was found in a smoke-filled upstairs bedroom by 999 crews tackling the blaze at a house 

22 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Plenty of Skylarks filling the air with song last week while we were walking in Patterdale. Not much other animal activity of note although there were a couple of male of Goosanders on Lanty's Tarn, which was much fuller than I've seen it for a while.

I'm jealous of where you live 🙂

Back at home in Leeds 17, greenfinches are on the feeders for the first time in a number of years and sparrows are nesting for the very first time since we moved here 22 years ago.

Lots of interested flocks of goldfinch, but the best thing is that two enormous carrion crows have set up shop in a silver birch and are constantly chasing away the wood pigeons and magpies.

I don't mind them at all, they seem really smart. If you throw out-dated hot cross buns into the garden, they will pick them up and dip them in one of the bird baths for easy digestion. 

I know you shouldn't interfere with nature but the RSPB positively encourages feeding them.

We even had a ring ouzel stop by last year for 2 days, so it's obviously a good service station. 

• Like 3

On 17/04/2023 at 00:48, Leeds Wire said:

First house martins of the year skimming the water of Yeadon Tarn next to Leeds-Bradford Airport this weekend. 

I'm jealous!  Not a swallow or martin seen in the New Forest by me so far.  Other birdwatchers are also hearing cuckoos now, but I haven't so far.

I saw a Moorhen on the way to the bus stop earlier this afternoon. Haven't seen one for a while.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

21 hours ago, Futtocks said:

I saw a Moorhen on the way to the bus stop earlier this afternoon. Haven't seen one for a while.

A pair always nest on a little stream near Workington Town Centre , produced 8 young last year.........was out at Loweswater last night and first Pied Flycatcher has arrived .

• Like 1