Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

47 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I was spectacularly impressed by my Outlander in the snow, considering it is only really a “soft roader” with normal road tyres it was brilliant. I didn’t have a single problem in the snow. I drove round for the two days it was tricky as smug as lord smug when the latest shipment of smug berries has just been delivered.

It shows what a serious advantage 4 wheel drive is in adverse conditions.

Do they sell all wheel drives over there too instead of 4 wheel drives?

54 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I was spectacularly impressed by my Outlander in the snow, considering it is only really a “soft roader” with normal road tyres it was brilliant. I didn’t have a single problem in the snow. I drove round for the two days it was tricky as smug as lord smug when the latest shipment of smug berries has just been delivered.

It shows what a serious advantage 4 wheel drive is in adverse conditions.

The 4 wheel drive thing is a massive difference, I notice the difference with my current car which isn't 4wd.  The best car I've ever driven in the snow was my old Audi TT, huge fat winter tyres (kept on all year round!) with 4wd and a 3.2l engine.  It just gripped everything and its light weight meant that it didn't suffer from the inertia problems of heavy vehicles.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

34 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Do they sell all wheel drives over there too instead of 4 wheel drives?

No, it's 4 wheel drive. 

And it's maths and colour and axe.

Edit:

And you walk on a pavement and the metal with the atomic number 13 is Aluminium that may get worked on in a Laboratory.

I know all this to be true because the language is English which means the version spoken in England must be correct.

Edited by Shadow
Education of colonials
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

No, it's 4 wheel drive. 

And it's maths and colour and axe.

Edit:

And you walk on a pavement and the metal with the atomic number 13 is Aluminium that may get worked on in a Laboratory.

I know all this to be true because the language is English which means the version spoken in England must be correct.

What about chains, anyone using chains with their tires in the snow...now Shadow I mean chains as for putting on a tire, not as a form of distance measuring in England...you still using chains over there to measure distance  or have you graduated to inches, feet and yards (imperial type I hope), and gallons, you still selling gas in gallons?

In Canada we have progressed to the metric system...you should try it some time.  We've also improved the English language in a form we call  Canadian, you should try it some time eh?...its a certain improvement to the old archaic ways....call it progress over here.   Its 2018.

1 hour ago, ckn said:

The 4 wheel drive thing is a massive difference, I notice the difference with my current car which isn't 4wd.  The best car I've ever driven in the snow was my old Audi TT, huge fat winter tyres (kept on all year round!) with 4wd and a 3.2l engine.  It just gripped everything and its light weight meant that it didn't suffer from the inertia problems of heavy vehicles.

I don't just drive a 4wd, I drive a Land Rover. :P

I've currently got a Discovery 3 which I use for my business; the floor space in the back is 6'x4', big enough for most of my materials and I can fit 3m lengths of timber in if I fold down the passenger seat. It's really a van that is also a 7 seat luxury saloon. They really are incredible machines. I've driven mine in deep snow and off road through thigh deep water and up muddy tracks that you would have had difficulty walking up without dropping to your hands and knees. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

53 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

I don't just drive a 4wd, I drive a Land Rover. :P

I've currently got a Discovery 3 which I use for my business; the floor space in the back is 6'x4', big enough for most of my materials and I can fit 3m lengths of timber in if I fold down the passenger seat. It's really a van that is also a 7 seat luxury saloon. They really are incredible machines. I've driven mine in deep snow and off road through thigh deep water and up muddy tracks that you would have had difficulty walking up without dropping to your hands and knees. 

We have them over here also....ride has improved alot over the years from the older models....was rough suspension.  Hummer has alot more muscle.

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

What about chains, anyone using chains with their tires in the snow...now Shadow I mean chains as for putting on a tire, not as a form of distance measuring in England...you still using chains over there to measure distance  or have you graduated to inches, feet and yards (imperial type I hope), and gallons, you still selling gas in gallons?

In Canada we have progressed to the metric system...you should try it some time.  We've also improved the English language in a form we call  Canadian, you should try it some time eh?...its a certain improvement to the old archaic ways....call it progress over here.   Its 2018.

I thought they spoke french in Canadia?

We sell Gas in Kilowatt Hours or in green canisters for barbecues.

Petrol is sold by the litre.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Do most people buy all season radial tires for their cars or just summer tires....do they even sell snow tires? 

My sister lives on top of a hill at the edge of the North York Moors, and puts on winter tyres at this time of year, because she really needs them. People who live by main roads in the area can mostly get by without them, if they drive carefully, but the road my sister lives on is always the last to get a visit from the snow ploughs (or bulldozers/JCBs, if the snow is heavy).

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

I thought they spoke french in Canadia?

We sell Gas in Kilowatt Hours or in green canisters for barbecues.

Petrol is sold by the litre.

You got some funny old habits,sayings, spellings etc. and odd idiosyncrasies over there my friend ....just asking buy why green canisters for propane?  Who came up with that?

We do speak French in Canada (country is officially bilingual)...most do not realize that Canada is the most multicultural nation on earth, all languages are spoken here.

But no one answered my question...do they sell all wheel drives also...an all wheel drive is not a4 wheel drive....they are different.  And chains, do people use tire chains over there in the high passes when it snows or if they need traction...studded tires are also an option but they are illegal in most areas here because they chew up a roads...great traction though.

4330884287_f9df186dd2.jpg

You might need to qualify what the difference is, in Canadian, between all-wheel and 4-wheel drive.

As for tyre chains and tyre socks, yes you can buy them in the UK, but they are not widely needed.

And an Ice Speedway rider might look at that picture and say (Crocodile Dundee-style) "those aren't spikes, mate; these are spikes".

340px-Eisspeedway_Maschine_05.JPG

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

By the time you have put chains on here the snow has gone.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

50 minutes ago, Padge said:

By the time you have put chains on here the snow has gone.

They have new chains that don't take near as long to put on or take off now.

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

You might need to qualify what the difference is, in Canadian, between all-wheel and 4-wheel drive.

As for tyre chains and tyre socks, yes you can buy them in the UK, but they are not widely needed.

And an Ice Speedway rider might look at that picture and say (Crocodile Dundee-style) "those aren't spikes, mate; these are spikes".

340px-Eisspeedway_Maschine_05.JPG

All-wheel drive is in some ways similar to the full-time 4WD system in that it also sends torque to all four wheels constantly. However, most modern AWD systems don't offer drivers the option to operate in two-wheel drive and, unlike the 4WD systems, the differential between the front and rear axles cannot be locked.Jan 25, 2017

Despite what Audi might have you believe, 4WD isn't all that new...

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

59 minutes ago, Kayakman said:
All-wheel drive is in some ways similar to the full-time 4WD system in that it also sends torque to all four wheels constantly. However, most modern AWD systems don't offer drivers the option to operate in two-wheel drive and, unlike the 4WD systems, the differential between the front and rear axles cannot be locked.Jan 25, 2017

DSC_0014.thumb.JPG.bcbe293aabad411e06354f52970c4697.JPG

This is my Outlander Hybrid, it has a permanent 4wd system with an electronic diff lock equivalent. As you can see it can handle even the most rugged of conditions and the deepest snow imaginable.

I will be changing it shortly, probably for a Ford Ranger WIldcat Pickup that also comes with 4wd but this is selectable between 2 & 4wd.

Previously I owned a Subaru Forester that was also a permanent 4wd and had a selectable High or Low range gear box but no diff lock.

We drive mainly European or Far Eastern cars over here, most of which google reveals to be available in Canadia as well so I would imagine any variant available there is available here.

• Like 1

I’ve got an AWD Volvo XC60. It’s a great car and despite having no winter tyres on it, it’s absoltuely fine in a decent amount of snow, even on reasonably steep hills. If I was permanently at the house in Cumbria, I’d fit it out with winter tyres every year.

63D394BF-B2A5-405E-AC51-8873BC80CD31.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shadow said:

This is my Outlander Hybrid, it has a permanent 4wd system with an electronic diff lock equivalent. As you can see it can handle even the most rugged of conditions and the deepest snow imaginable.

I will be changing it shortly, probably for a Ford Ranger WIldcat Pickup that also comes with 4wd but this is selectable between 2 & 4wd.

Previously I owned a Subaru Forester that was also a permanent 4wd and had a selectable High or Low range gear box but no diff lock.

We drive mainly European or Far Eastern cars over here, most of which google reveals to be available in Canadia as well so I would imagine any variant available there is available here.

We would call this an all wheel drive...some Rangers are good in the snow and some not.   I had a Ford Ranger for years  and it was literally God awful in the snow unless you put weight in the back.

Now my neighbour up the way also has a Ranger but his is alot better in the snow, alot better, and man oh man can it move fast in deep snow....the best I've seen.

230e1ef7-0bb2-5dea-a923-293d382a0b6a.image.jpg

12 hours ago, Kayakman said:

They have new chains that don't take near as long to put on or take off now.

By the time you have put chains on here the snow has gone.  :biggrin:

• Haha 1

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

10 hours ago, Shadow said:

3 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

I’ve got an AWD Volvo XC60. It’s a great car and despite having no winter tyres on it, it’s absoltuely fine in a decent amount of snow, even on reasonably steep hills. If I was permanently at the house in Cumbria, I’d fit it out with winter tyres every year.

63D394BF-B2A5-405E-AC51-8873BC80CD31.jpeg

I have an 11 year old BMW 5 series that is like Bambi on ice if someone merely mentions snow :P

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

48 minutes ago, Padge said:

By the time you have put chains on here the snow has gone.  :biggrin:

Now quit it...you're making me jealous again....I'm looking out the window right now and it is snowing again!

When will this all end?