The TV Thread

2 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Recorded a couple of Laurel & Hardy shorts today, thanks to the marvellous Talking Pictures TV channel.

I have just watched 'County Hospital' and am looking forward to 'The Music Box' (the one where they try to deliver a piano) later this evening. :smile:

Classics,very very funny.Hard boiled eggs and nuts!!

5 minutes ago, mickhornet said:

Classics,very very funny.Hard boiled eggs and nuts!!

I remember when I was a kid watching the one where Ollie is wheeling and carrying Stan around when there’s nothing wrong with him . He even stands up then he carries him again . And Stan just goes with it . Had me in stitches 

27 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

I actually have the DVD box set, but still record and watch when they are broadcast. God knows why, but I do. Pure joy.

I know what you mean. Still seems a treat when they pop up on TV.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Unbelievably the aforementioned Indoor League is now on sky 431...engrossing table football championships with a hotshot from Doncaster involved . The tension is quite literally unbearable . I really need some friends 

Edited by DavidM

I'll admit to being biased because it's set in the streets where I grew up and have spent most of my life (as well as the fact that the sister of the main protagonist Steve was my daughter's bezzie mate at primary school) but I think Sean McAllister's A Northern Soul on BBC2 at 10:05 tonight is well worth a look.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

On 11/15/2018 at 12:02 AM, Johnoco said:

They are a bit more 'professional' these days but many Damned gigs were either brilliant or total chaos - and I didn't even see them in their really crazy days.. They are a lot more organised today and should both turn up with all members and not cause mayhem.

Possibly.

Only seen them once when they were supporting Motorhead.

They were very well behaved and a fine time was had by all.

New series on The Last Kingdom is on Netflix.  First 2 were on BBC2, will be interesting to see any changes in production values.  I probably learnt more about this period of history from this than I ever did at school.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On 11/21/2018 at 2:45 AM, Bedford Roughyed said:

New series on The Last Kingdom is on Netflix.  First 2 were on BBC2, will be interesting to see any changes in production values.  I probably learnt more about this period of history from this than I ever did at school.  

Well I binge watched the series, and I really liked it.  10 episode this season, up from the usual 8.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:45 AM, Bedford Roughyed said:

the reason I cant watch stuff like this is because I am so jealous of the hair stylists, make up artists and general style gurus that they obviously had in those days, the gyms, dentists  and nutrition advice must have been far superior to modern day too, 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

23 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

the reason I cant watch stuff like this is because I am so jealous of the hair stylists, make up artists and general style gurus that they obviously had in those days, the gyms, dentists  and nutrition advice must have been far superior to modern day too, 

Ha I know where you’re coming from . I know it’s called ‘ artistic licence ‘ but  I struggle at times with how everyone in ancient or olden times was a total supermodel or hunk with perfect clothes teeth and make up and there’s no mess or dirt anywhere . It is history but not as we know it . But it’s telly and you’re meant to go with it . You can if it’s really good , and then there’s stuff like The Tudors..

Edited by DavidM

37 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Apparently, TV shows like 'Spartacus' and 'Vikings' have been a real commercial shot in the arm to the merkin industry.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Apparently, TV shows like 'Spartacus' and 'Vikings' have been a real commercial shot in the arm to the merkin industry.

They’ve discussed this before in history magazine and the consensus seems to be any kind of promoting and teaching history , however broadbrush , is a positive . Its always been my thing so I understand that. At times it seems , certainly from talking to my nieces n nephews , it’s a less important subject academically than it was , when it should be central . Should always know your history to see where you are and how you got here 

downloaded a few of the tennant dr whos out of curiosity and high recommendation, to be fair I realy realy enjoyed them, the ones that are on now seem dreadful in comparison in all areas, acting, writing, filming no wonder the viewing figures are going through the floor.

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Vic & Bob's Big Night Out returned last night on BBC4. Hit and miss, just like the original, but I laughed a lot.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 11/29/2018 at 7:15 PM, Futtocks said:

Vic & Bob's Big Night Out returned last night on BBC4. Hit and miss, just like the original, but I laughed a lot.

So did I, out loud and repeatedly.

17 minutes ago, Ullman said:

So did I, out loud and repeatedly.

I re-watched it, and enjoyed a few details I'd missed the first time. With 30 more years' experience under their belts, there are more hits than misses this time around. I hope this isn't a one-off series.

Now I have to eat some corned beef...

• Haha 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On BBC4 right now, the documentary Secrets of British Animation. It is even more ace than Cas Vegas!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

Did anyone else think Stacey had forgotten her underwear? ? 

She was trying to cause heart attacks in the older folk who might vote for the other dancers :D

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Last night on iPlayer I watched the documentary on Sheikh Mohammed’s daughter trying to flee Dubai . Very very sad story . We live in one age and they seem to live in another in places like this . She just wanted to live a life and got so close . I’m a racing nut and they bow and scrape to the uber wealthy like the Sheikh and then you see the issues many people experience  outside that created image and facade , and it’s quite  a reality check 

Edited by DavidM