The TV Thread

On 18/12/2023 at 07:35, The Hallucinating Goose said:

From what I've seen, the BBC are saying they aren't necessarily cancelling Q of S for good but are just shelving it for the foreseeable future and so aren't giving up their rights to the copyright, in which case another channel couldn't simply put on a new version of Q of S and would have to create their own sports quiz. 

Can they shelve Sports Personality of the year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mary Earps deserved winner of SPOTY,  she was outstanding in the WC , and in a year of not too many brilliant individual performances,  she gets my vote. Reluctantly the FA eventually put a replica shirt on the market after complaints from fans that her shirt unlike the outfield players wasn't available, and it has sold like hot cakes.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/news/13028554/mary-earps-replica-england-goalkeeper-shirt-sells-out-within-hours-again

Edited by HawkMan
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Mary Earps deserved winner of SPOTY,  she was outstanding in the WC , and in a year of not too many brilliant individual performances,  she gets my vote. Reluctantly the FA eventually put a replica shirt on the market after complaints from fans that her shirt unlike the outfield players wasn't available, and it has sold like hot cakes.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/news/13028554/mary-earps-replica-england-goalkeeper-shirt-sells-out-within-hours-again

Much rage online from people who love to use the word "woke" a lot without ever wondering what it means.

Good.

I voted for KJT without really expecting her to win, but third place is nice.

• Like 2

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

58 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Much rage online from people who love to use the word "woke" a lot without ever wondering what it means.

Good.

I voted for KJT without really expecting her to win, but third place is nice.

Piers Moron wanging on about how three female winners in a row means it's unfair on men.

Men won the previous 15.

It was also a public vote and about 20m people saw Earps save a penalty in a World Cup final and then try and lift her team. Plus she is also a personality.

Honestly ...

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

12 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Piers Moron wanging on about how three female winners in a row means it's unfair on men.

Men won the previous 15.

It was also a public vote and about 20m people saw Earps save a penalty in a World Cup final and then try and lift her team. Plus she is also a personality.

Honestly ...

It's the public vote awards that always anger people like that - remember the brouhaha when St Helens denied some golfists of their divine right to the team award?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

It's the public vote awards that always anger people like that - remember the brouhaha when St Helens denied some golfists of their divine right to the team award?

I do - and now the team award isn't a public vote!

EDIT

Although my favourite bit about that is that the Ryder Cup team actually came third, not second.

Edited by gingerjon
  • Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Men won the previous 15.

Honestly ...

Detest the way people like Morgan carry on,horrible person,as for the awards i will say she was as deserving as anyone else, well done she has inspired a lot of young women 

• Like 2

the word personality gets banded about almost as freely as legend - what does anyone know about someone on a football pitch been viewed through a glass screen on a personal basis?  no one knows anything about these peoples personalities apart from close friends and family - the odd exception such as Ronnie O Sullivan or John Mcenroe may give you a glimpse in to their real personality by laying things bare out in public- I don't even know half these supposed personality's if they walked past me in Tesco 

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

the word personality gets banded about almost as freely as legend - what does anyone know about someone on a football pitch been viewed through a glass screen on a personal basis?  no one knows anything about these peoples personalities apart from close friends and family - the odd exception such as Ronnie O Sullivan or John Mcenroe may give you a glimpse in to their real personality by laying things bare out in public- I don't even know half these supposed personality's if they walked past me in Tesco 

Most people probably get to know their personalities through various interviews they may do, as well as social media like Twitter. 

No offence Johnny, but with knowing what you post on here it isn't at all surprising you wouldn't recognise a woman footballer or various other sportsmen/women as you're not interested in the sports they play. I would assume/hope that you may recognise Sam Tomkins or a similar RL personality, if they walked past you in Tesco.

6 minutes ago, Click said:

Most people probably get to know their personalities through various interviews they may do, as well as social media like Twitter. 

No offence Johnny, but with knowing what you post on here it isn't at all surprising you wouldn't recognise a woman footballer or various other sportsmen/women as you're not interested in the sports they play. I would assume/hope that you may recognise Sam Tomkins or a similar RL personality, if they walked past you in Tesco.

I would recognise  Sam and lots of others if they walked past me in Tesco (other supermarkets are available) but as for knowing their personality - personal traits, behaviours, moods , feelings and thoughts  and other combinations of qualities good and bad  then I don't know their personalities - the word is banded about too freely 

1 hour ago, graveyard johnny said:

I would recognise  Sam and lots of others if they walked past me in Tesco (other supermarkets are available) but as for knowing their personality - personal traits, behaviours, moods , feelings and thoughts  and other combinations of qualities good and bad  then I don't know their personalities - the word is banded about too freely 

If Nigel Mansell can win a personality contest then anyone can.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Andy Murray?

When you've had to hide from a mass murderers bullets, I give you a pass on the personality side of things.

He come across pretty well. I like the anti English jokes. All of the Scottish should crack them.

Just now, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

And when Mansell won in 1986 he didn't win the World Championship, Greg Rusedski was US Open Runner up when he won in 1997 and there were many more winners who didn't win in their respective sports.

I'd forgotten Rusedski had won. Nice bloke and all that but ...

9 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

Andy Murray?

Murray was a phenomenal tennis player and one of the most deserving winners, when he won for the third time in 2016, he was Wimbledon Champion, Olympic Champion, World Tour Final Champion and year end number 1, and he really should have won it for a 4th time in 2012 when he was US Open Champion and Olympic Champion.

1 minute ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

Murray was a phenomenal tennis player and one of the most deserving winners, when he won for the third time in 2016, he was Wimbledon Champion, Olympic Champion, World Tour Final Champion and year end number 1, and he really should have won it for a 4th time in 2012 when he was US Open Champion and Olympic Champion.

still dont have any insight to his personality - maybe it should just be called sports person of the year or maybe just scrapped altogether - its worn out just like QOS 

4 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

still dont have any insight to his personality - maybe it should just be called sports person of the year or maybe just scrapped altogether - its worn out just like QOS 

As you well know, the award has nothing to do with personality, its to do with achievement and should a TV show be cancelled because you don't like it, TV doesn't work like that.

11 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

An accepted OED definition of 'personality'

a celebrity or famous person.
"an official opening by a famous personality"

Anyway I have no problem with Earps winning but personally, I don't think anybody who participates in a team sport unless the do something extra extra ordinary, I personally voted for KJT.

Another thing, its criminal that yet again Djokovic hasn't won overseas personality, same with Serena Williams, I mean Haaland, he scored a lot of goals in a team that created a lot of chances for him.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

and should a TV show be cancelled because you don't like it, TV doesn't work like that.

I thought shows got cancelled due to poor ratings? poor ratings because the public don't like them? how does tv work then?

4 minutes ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

They do but not because Graveyard Johnny doesn't like them.

I think I am a member of the viewing public who counts in the figures? no?