The TV Thread

22 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

you would of course keep the giant foam hands for the crowd though?

Of course , it’ll sell out Wembley in minutes if they did it . Genuine Gladiatorial combat with the authentic roles like Murmillo , Retiarius , Thraex etc all played out . People who are adrenaline junkies , people with a death wish , lifers with a chance of getting out of jail , all kinds could get involved in fighting to the death . Even illegal immigrants , if they win they stay and if they get killed they get sent back . Good old fashioned Saturday evening entertainment , presented by Davina McCall with special comments by Luke Littler 

A bit more modern than gladiatorial, but this sort of thing really goes on...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Obviously a spin off series would be recreating historic battles , like Agincourt and Towton . Educating informing and entertaining in the Reithian tradition 

Some silly fun.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Steven Knight, the man behind Peaky Blinders and SAS: Rogue Heroes has a new BBC show in the pipeline. It is set in 1981 and looks like the story is based in the Two-Tone scene.

"This Town tells the story of an extended family and four young people who are drawn into an explosive and iconic music scene".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/2023/this-town-first-look-picutures

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

walsh and his son are now on the talentless macityre thing- fekking dreadful

The programme has McIntyre's name in it - a clear and unambiguous warning which I appreciate while I peruse the EPG.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

9 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The programme has McIntyre's name in it - a clear and unambiguous warning which I appreciate while I peruse the EPG.

i was only flicking - how come we are making these dreadful people rich by tv licence direct debit by uk law when I cant stand the sight of them - its perverse

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

i was only flicking - how come we are making these dreadful people rich by tv licence direct debit by uk law when I cant stand the sight of them - its perverse

The viewing figures show he's very popular with a large number of licence fee-payers. Not you or me, but the Beeb has to have a broader remit than most.

See also Mrs Brown's Boys, a programme I can't stand but which is the creation of a person I've found to be very funny and likeable in other contexts. It puzzles me, but it's a living for him, I suppose.

At least we have more alternative channels to choose (even before we get to streaming and catch-up), unlike the good old days.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

You keep tuning in 😜

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Me too.  A very necessary warning. Can't stand the guy as he appears on TV. However, I find the actual show quite watchable in a lightweight and casual way. The Bradley Walsh segment last night was one of the best ..... it's must take a huge amount of self control not to punch McIntyre's lights out when woken by him from a deep sleep.

8 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

walsh and his son are now on the talentless macityre thing- fekking dreadful

Don't watch it, then, but don't deny others the opportunity. However, I do find it annoying that all TV companies insist on featuring people and shows that I don't like, without asking me first. If only they would ask, it would save to world from having to see such delights as Charlie Stayt, Kay Burley, Paul Hudson, Jimmy Carr, Gary Lineker, .....I'm sure their mothers love them but,..well...er....

Edited by JohnM

48 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Don't watch it, then, but don't deny others the opportunity. However, I do find it annoying that all TV companies insist on featuring people and shows that I don't like, without asking me first. If only they would ask, it would save to world from having to see such delights as Charlie Stayt, Kay Burley, Paul Hudson, Jimmy Carr, Gary Lineker, .....I'm sure their mothers love them but,..well...er....

Whats wrong with Paul Hudson? 

4 hours ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Whats wrong with Paul Hudson? 

shall we start another thread for that?

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

my beef is that we are forced by law to pay without choice to make these individuals very rich indeed

31 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

my beef is that we are forced by law to pay without choice to make these individuals very rich indeed

You are not forced by law to pay without choice. Don’t use it and you don’t have to pay. It’s like saying I am forced by law to pay for my shopping at Asda. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

You are not forced by law to pay without choice. Don’t use it and you don’t have to pay. It’s like saying I am forced by law to pay for my shopping at Asda. 

thats the kind of reasoning and logic that all those "stars" on the BBC rich list must love

• Haha 1

On 21/01/2024 at 09:11, graveyard johnny said:

shall we start another thread for that?

Start another thread (in the politics sub forum) for discussion about the merits or otherwise of the TV licence.

This thread - as you've been on here long enough to know - is to discuss TV shows, not argue about how they are paid for.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

Start another thread (in the politics sub forum) for discussion about the merits or otherwise of the TV licence.

This thread - as you've been on here long enough to know - is to discuss TV shows, not argue about how they are paid for.

it was a jokey comment about Paul Hudson - nothing to do with tv licence

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

ITV seem to have run out of patience with the government. Hot on the heels of "Mr Bates", we have "Breathless".

GErZQbWXIAACw9t?format=jpg&name=large

Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 hours ago, Futtocks said:

ITV seem to have run out of patience with the government. Hot on the heels of "Mr Bates", we have "Breathless".

GErZQbWXIAACw9t?format=jpg&name=large

I'd be willing to bet there are a lot of former BBC folk who are finding their ways blocked by the definitely-not-government-lackeys on the board there who are, in their freelance way, drifting over to ITV and elsewhere.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)