Jump to content

Football


Recommended Posts

Well done Forest , but I’m staggered Hudds didn’t get a penalty . At least two angles there were totally blatant … you could tell from the defenders face he knew . Leaves a sour taste that , you must be getting those right with those stakes 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


11 hours ago, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

How are points awarded ? I take it that Rochdale , Oldham , Tranmere , Rotherham and Bradford are awarded 1 point each for reaching the League Cup final .

I'm sorry I don't always answer as quickly as I'd like but being the other side of the world means I'm often asleep while someone makes a comment about something I've posted..

From the 1960/61 season, points for the League are 6,3,2,1. FA Cup 4,2. League Cup 3,1. That's 22 points in total per season. European comps has a similar system. Rochdale were the losing side in the 1962 League Cup final. Oldham and Tranmere the same but in 1976 and 1990. Rotherham 1961 and Bradford 2013. Oxford United won it in 1986. The league Cup has given some clubs the chance for a finals appearance which is surely prized by those clubs. 

  • Like 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/05/2022 at 16:05, Sidi Fidi Gold said:

At ding donger of a match in the National League play offs with Grimsby winning 5 - 4 at Wrexham after ET . Grimsby are now through to the final and will play either Solihull Moor or Chesterfield .

What a game and what a win for GTFC. McAtee’s goal was a cracker, his brother plays for Man City (only 2 games so far), and his dad played a few games for St Helens but he never made it. A great win for Solihull Moors, Chesterfield must’ve felt confident after winning at Halifax on Tuesday. Chesterfield know that getting  out of the NL is hell, although if the Mariners beat Moors they’ll bounce straight backup which would be amazing after the slump they had mid season. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, RayCee said:

I'm sorry I don't always answer as quickly as I'd like but being the other side of the world means I'm often asleep while someone makes a comment about something I've posted..

From the 1960/61 season, points for the League are 6,3,2,1. FA Cup 4,2. League Cup 3,1. That's 22 points in total per season. European comps has a similar system. Rochdale were the losing side in the 1962 League Cup final. Oldham and Tranmere the same but in 1976 and 1990. Rotherham 1961 and Bradford 2013. Oxford United won it in 1986. The league Cup has given some clubs the chance for a finals appearance which is surely prized by those clubs. 

Didn't you fancy doing it from 1889 onwards 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Josef K said:

Michael Owen saying Liverpool are the best team in Europe. He’s always been entertaining with mic in hand has Michael. 

If one does a points tally of clubs in the top five nations in Europe according to my long standing method for domestic and European, the following results (minimum 5 points):

14 points: Liverpool, Real Madrid. 

8 points: Man City.

7 points: Inter Milan.

6 points: AC Milan, Bayern M, PSG, Eintracht Frankfurt.

5 points: Chelsea.

Of course, points are not a perfect way. Not every nation above has a league cup comp.

It's generally accepted that the English season is the most punishing. Every game is a fight in the PL. Someone with experience in both the Bundesliga and the EPL was recently asked what the difference was. They said (for a top side) half the games in the BL were a real contest but every game in the EPL was. 

Had Liverpool won the Champions League, no one would have questioned his comment. Losing that put them second IMO. Man City will feel they should have been up there with the top two. Pep will be on a mission to rectify that next season. 

Edited by RayCee

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, DavidM said:

Well done Forest , but I’m staggered Hudds didn’t get a penalty . At least two angles there were totally blatant … you could tell from the defenders face he knew . Leaves a sour taste that , you must be getting those right with those stakes 

Yes I agree. I can't think how Var didn't at least ask the referee to look again. 

The only reasonable explanation I can think of is that the referree is retiring and becoming the Head of Referees next year. Maybe the Var ref didn't feel comfortable highlighting potential mistakes? 

I think this raises 2 points. One that the referree operating VAR should be senior or equal to the referee in terms of position or standing. Secondly, that Var can ask the referee to take a second look without implying the decision is necessary incorrect. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Niels said:

Yes I agree. I can't think how Var didn't at least ask the referee to look again. 

The only reasonable explanation I can think of is that the referree is retiring and becoming the Head of Referees next year. Maybe the Var ref didn't feel comfortable highlighting potential mistakes? 

I think this raises 2 points. One that the referree operating VAR should be senior or equal to the referee in terms of position or standing. Secondly, that Var can ask the referee to take a second look without implying the decision is necessary incorrect. 

Maybe he couldn't see the wood for the trees, or as Americans say couldn't see the forest for the trees. 

  • Like 1

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have done my bets for the 22/23 season. I have gone £5 each way on each club Wigan 25/1 in the championship. League 1 - Posh 12/1, Oxford 16/1 (i was tempted to go for the Gas 33/1 but decided not too). League2   Mansfield T 12/1. 
There are no odds on the National League yet with the final still to be played, and there are no odds out for the NL North. They’re the other two leagues i have a bet on, but next season i will not be putting any cash on Gloucester City like i did for 21/22.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/05/2022 at 13:57, Josef K said:

I have done my bets for the 22/23 season. I have gone £5 each way on each club Wigan 25/1 in the championship. League 1 - Posh 12/1, Oxford 16/1 (i was tempted to go for the Gas 33/1 but decided not too). League2   Mansfield T 12/1. 
There are no odds on the National League yet with the final still to be played, and there are no odds out for the NL North. They’re the other two leagues i have a bet on, but next season i will not be putting any cash on Gloucester City like i did for 21/22.

I have a £10 free bet left.

Could I put it on an accumilator or do a Yankee or something for next year?

The other option is to bet on a rugby league game to win a small amount. But the results are never sttaightforward.

I placed a £10 free bet on Emily Upjohn in the Oaks today but she was left far too much to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Niels said:

I have a £10 free bet left.

Could I put it on an accumilator or do a Yankee or something for next year?

The other option is to bet on a rugby league game to win a small amount. But the results are never sttaightforward.

I placed a £10 free bet on Emily Upjohn in the Oaks today but she was left far too much to do.

Niels i wish i could help you on that but i only know the basics when it comes to betting. Yankees, Monkeys and all the other stuff i haven’t a clue about. It’s like these new slot machines i wouldn’t even know were to put the cash or start the bloody things. The 2p & 5p slots i could just about manage but i don’t know if they’re still around. I can tell you how to lose money on bets, i am very good at that. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Josef K said:

Niels i wish i could help you on that but i only know the basics when it comes to betting. Yankees, Monkeys and all the other stuff i haven’t a clue about. It’s like these new slot machines i wouldn’t even know were to put the cash or start the bloody things. The 2p & 5p slots i could just about manage but i don’t know if they’re still around. I can tell you how to lose money on bets, i am very good at that. 

Thanks Josef. 

I am finding it is hard to win. I had been tempted to back Warrington tonight so I am still lucky to have it😊

Edited by Niels
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Niels said:

Thanks Josef. 

I am finding it is hard to win. I had been tempted to back Warrington tonight so I am still lucky to have it😊

Good move Niels not putting the bet on. Who would put cash on Wire anyway, you’d  have to be clueless about the game.
Well I am Mr Clueless as i put £5 each way on Wire to win the GF with the odds of 12/1. I put that bet on in April. 
Last Saturday i put a fiver on there being scored more than 72pts in the CC Final at 40/1 😄

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Josef K said:

Good move Niels not putting the bet on. Who would put cash on Wire anyway, you’d  have to be clueless about the game.
Well I am Mr Clueless as i put £5 each way on Wire to win the GF with the odds of 12/1. I put that bet on in April. 
Last Saturday i put a fiver on there being scored more than 72pts in the CC Final at 40/1 😄

Thanks.

I put it on Desert Crown for the Derby so won £26 which I am delighted about.

I going to put it on England but the odds were poor.

I will have a look at the divisional bets as you do.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Niels said:

Thanks.

I put it on Desert Crown for the Derby so won £26 which I am delighted about.

I going to put it on England but the odds were poor.

I will have a look at the divisional bets as you do.

Did you get 3/1 Niels ?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Given up with the England vs Hungary game after 30 minutes,  dross, however much the Nations League is hyped up it's still pretty pointless. Back to the cricket for me.

Sorry C4 you did have great sport on today, it was at Castleford. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Niels said:

I think it was 5/2 David, slightly more. It is Sportsbook and has decimal odds. 

Well done , looked big odds from about 3 furlongs out 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, HawkMan said:

Given up with the England vs Hungary game after 30 minutes,  dross, however much the Nations League is hyped up it's still pretty pointless. Back to the cricket for me.

Sorry C4 you did have great sport on today, it was at Castleford. 

What is this Nations League all about. I watched a few seconds of it and the only thing i noticed was plenty of empty seats. There is a far more important game today  at 3pm Solihull Moors vs Grimsby Town

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Josef K said:

What is this Nations League all about. I watched a few seconds of it and the only thing i noticed was plenty of empty seats. There is a far more important game today  at 3pm Solihull Moors vs Grimsby Town

Technically Hungary had a stadium ban hence the empty seats. Kids were given tickets as i understand it.

I like the Nations League. For England particularly I think it is perfect; for nearly all my lifetime we would stroll through qualification against Andorra etc. muddle our way out of a group stage and then look pretty poor against decent opponents in the Quarter finals where we would be knocked out. Finally we can now play top level competitive matches against top European nations without the pressure of a tournament knock out game.

It has replaced meaningless friendlies with matches against genuinely competitive national teams. I think it will be good for England to test where we are against top quality sides before a tournament.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very typical of England under Southgate yesterday. 5 at the back, possession dominant, but little in the way of attacking threat and creativity.

It seems again that England's chances at Qatar will be based on the defence giving nothing away, and hoping for chances up front to be taken. A back 5 plus Rice and Philips is overboard imo, and misses how a key benefit of Rice and/or Philips is that they can do the defensive work of a 3rd centre back whilst allowing another midfielder onto the pitch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Very typical of England under Southgate yesterday. 5 at the back, possession dominant, but little in the way of attacking threat and creativity.

It seems again that England's chances at Qatar will be based on the defence giving nothing away, and hoping for chances up front to be taken. A back 5 plus Rice and Philips is overboard imo, and misses how a key benefit of Rice and/or Philips is that they can do the defensive work of a 3rd centre back whilst allowing another midfielder onto the pitch.

I'm a fully paid up England supporter, always have been, but also a realist. It may seem negative but I really don't think England are as good as everyone seems to think.

In 2018 WC let's face it they were in the easier half of the draw, and stumbled against the first decent opposition in Croatia. 

In the Euros they did well, but did have home advantage,  IIRC except one game, beating a well passed their use by date Germany and lost to Italy who couldn't qualify for Qatar. In this year's WC I expect them to get out of an easyish group,  Ukraine if they qualify today likely to be the toughest opposition.

After that I fear an early last 16 exit.

Apparently England are second favourites with the bookies, that doesn't seem right, I would put Brazil, Argentina,  Germany, France and Spain all ahead of them.

BTW I have Premier sports and their presentation of RL is far superior to their Nations League coverage,  it's really cheap with minimal effort.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...