The never-ending League Restructure debate (Many merged threads)

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark Aston thinks there's only 10 clubs maximum viable for any SL2 even if SL1 is 12 in number.

I'd agree with that. The big problem with licensing is that there aren't enough clubs good enough for a licence. It's why you get Championship clubs moaning that they're as good as, if not better than, teams like Salford, Cas or London. But it doesn't make those clubs good enough for $uperleague.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

I saw this mentioned somewhere else. I'd be surprised as, although the name is not unique, most sports fans immediately associate 'Super League' with rugby league.

I do hope that the RFL/the clubs have a really clear rationale if they do choose to ditch a successful 'brand'

Unfortunately plenty of 'fans' have tainted the brand - it is difficult to go onto a forum or twitter without mention of:

Sooper Dooper League

Pooper League

$uper League

No-so-super League

and so on. Who needs enemies?

I think Super League missed it's chance and won't be missed if dropped by all but a few die hards.

So would you categorise the past 17 years of elite level rugby league in the northern hemisphere as a failed experiment that we need to distance ourselves from?

Unfortunately plenty of 'fans' have tainted the brand - it is difficult to go onto a forum or twitter without mention of:

Sooper Dooper League

Pooper League

$uper League

No-so-super League

and so on. Who needs enemies?

Are these the same shining wits who 'hilariously' renamed Salford's owner Pookash, Cashcow, Kockrash etc.

Maybe Marwan needs a rebrand too.

Edited by Pottsy

So would you categorise the past 17 years of elite level rugby league in the northern hemisphere as a failed experiment that we need to distance ourselves from?

No.

For fear of repeating myself, if you can't make the generic description describe the sport, don't use a generic. Super League describes a variety of other elite competitions not just ours and in time, the way the female soccer game is going, it won't get a look-in if we don't change now.

Are these the same shining wits who 'hilariously' renamed Salford's own Pookash, Cashcow, Kockrash etc.

Maybe Marwan needs a rebrand too.

Hey - I backed one of his horses yesterday. I won't have a word said against him.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

No.

For fear of repeating myself, if you can't make the generic description describe the sport, don't use a generic. Super League describes a variety of other elite competitions not just ours and in time, the way the female soccer game is going, it won't get a look-in if we don't change now.

So by the same logic, the Barclays Premiership (football), the Aviva Premiership (rugby union) and the LV County Championship ( cricket), to name but three, are all for the chop then, no?

So by the same logic, the Barclays Premiership (football), the Aviva Premiership (rugby union) and the LV County Championship ( cricket), to name but three, are all for the chop then, no?

Indeed, there are only so many different names that can be used, ones that are currently in use in this country include:

Premiership

Premier League

Championship

Champions League

Elite League

Super League

1st Division

2nd Division

Europa League

There aren't many gaps or places to go without going with something like the Rugby Football League 1 and 2, but then that isn't accurate, it would possibly need to be the Rugby Football League League.

Indeed, there are only so many different names that can be used, ones that are currently in use in this country include:

Premiership

Premier League

Championship

Champions League

Elite League

Super League

1st Division

2nd Division

Europa League

There aren't many gaps or places to go without going with something like the Rugby Football League 1 and 2, but then that isn't accurate, it would possibly need to be the Rugby Football League League.

That's basically the point I'm making.

If we're going to run scared of a women's football comp that has hardly set the world alight then I'd suggest we really are at panic stations.

If there is overwhelming evidence that the Super League brand is at the root of our problems then clearly we need to change. But this particular issue looks more like a case of fiddling while Rome burns.

That's basically the point I'm making.

If we're going to run scared of a women's football comp that has hardly set the world alight then I'd suggest we really are at panic stations.

If there is overwhelming evidence that the Super League brand is at the root of our problems then clearly we need to change. But this particular issue looks more like a case of fiddling while Rome burns.

Well your point isn't well made. The Premier League is known world wide, a generic description for the FA's elite competition that sits alongside the others like IPOD, or coke, or whatever (other brands exist!) as universal icons.

As for the rest of UK's minor sports, we've followed this tack thinking it's sexy without actually thinking about why. Aping soccer's achievement's without the budget.

RL has a low profile, so call it what it is not something generic that gets lost in a sea of generic descriptions trying to sell completely different things.

I don't want to patronise but the "fiddling while Rome's burning" comment merely enhances your lack of understanding on the subject.

How do small enterprises compete with big business? Well firstly they don't ape them, the name of the company often say's what it does, and often are more nimble to change. They tend not to worry about branding but service, they tend to protect their assets (good people) and invest in them. 

The game of RL needs to firstly accept where it is and embrace it. It is an SME on the UK and world stage of sport so it needs to build it's profile without removing it's assets from the public domain.

An example is the Challenge Cup? Well I'm sick of hearing commentators twittering on about Super League to an audience who probably only watch RL on the BBC at Challenge Cup time. We've created a situation where the casual observer is exposed to confusing messages.

Therefore it is not running scared to ask whether SL adds or detracts from the Rugby League message under these circumstances. 

Well your point isn't well made. The Premier League is known world wide, a generic description for the FA's elite competition that sits alongside the others like IPOD, or coke, or whatever (other brands exist!) as universal icons.

As for the rest of UK's minor sports, we've followed this tack thinking it's sexy without actually thinking about why. Aping soccer's achievement's without the budget.

RL has a low profile, so call it what it is not something generic that gets lost in a sea of generic descriptions trying to sell completely different things.

I don't want to patronise but the "fiddling while Rome's burning" comment merely enhances your lack of understanding on the subject.

How do small enterprises compete with big business? Well firstly they don't ape them, the name of the company often say's what it does, and often are more nimble to change. They tend not to worry about branding but service, they tend to protect their assets (good people) and invest in them.

The game of RL needs to firstly accept where it is and embrace it. It is an SME on the UK and world stage of sport so it needs to build it's profile without removing it's assets from the public domain.

An example is the Challenge Cup? Well I'm sick of hearing commentators twittering on about Super League to an audience who probably only watch RL on the BBC at Challenge Cup time. We've created a situation where the casual observer is exposed to confusing messages.

Therefore it is not running scared to ask whether SL adds or detracts from the Rugby League message under these circumstances.

Don't worry, you're not patronising anyone; you're merely stating various opinions as facts, without being able to back any of them up with a shred of hard evidence.

To be blunt about it, if you're interested in rugby league, you'll know that Super League is rugby league.  If you're introduced to the sport by someone else then you'll know it's rugby league.  If you're watching the Challenge Cup on telly and they're going on about the same players playing in Super League then you're not going to be thinking they're hermaphrodites playing women's football in their weeks off.  You'd really have to be a bit slow not to get that they're on about a regular league version of the same sport.

Just out of interest, I did a generic search for "Super League" in Google and Bing, the first two pages are full of rugby league Super League except for uncommon foreign sport links.  Twitter is the same beyond a few different sports hidden among the mass of rugby league tweets.

Super League is an established brand in its own right for rugby league.  Abandoning it would be just daft and reactionary.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

tons of comps are called Superleague Netball & 750Bhp motor racing ,  so what , League is by far the most high profile after 18 seasons

Maybe we should go back to being called Northern Union?, reading the Sean Fagan Book the Aus comp turn pro in 1908 and called the game...NSW( Rugby Football League) , urging the Northern Union to do likewise to distance themselves from the public school boys, it took until 1922 for the English to catch on. so common sense has never been a strong suite since it's inception. 

we could call the SL  play offs  the premiership....

the only thing wrong with Super League as a tiltle comp is the addition of a multi-national company - brand or financial institution as a prefix and some cash changing hands as part of the deal .

( Barclays ) Super League 

( Nationwide )  Super League

( Powergen ) Super League

see here

RYANAIR LAUNCHES AIRCRAFT LIVERY ADVERTISING

SHARE YOUR BRAND WITH MILLIONS OF EUROPEAN PASSENGERS

Ryanair, Europe’s only ultra-low cost carrier (ULCC), today (17 July) offered businesses across the world the chance to advertise their brand on its fleet of 303 Boeing 737-800 aircraft and reach millions of European passengers through Europe’s largest and cheapest outdoor advertising medium.

Ryanair operates over 1,600 flights per day, connecting 180 destinations in 29 countries, through over 1,600 routes and will carry more international passengers this year (81.5m) than any other airline in the world.

Companies can have their brand featured on four different locations on the Ryanair aircraft, including on the inner and outer winglets, front fuselage and rear fuselage, for a 12-month period, for a fraction of the price of a newspaper advert.

Edited by JohnM

Follow the rfl twitter feed- all being revealed!

PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/article/8790/join-team-wales-for-2013

Predictions for the future -

Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG

Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT

Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG

Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/

http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!

http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx