Book thread: what are you reading?

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

You mean the courage !?

The size of it makes it a daunting task.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Currently working my way through the happy-go-lucky fun factory that is The Accusation, a collection of short stories smuggled out of North Korea and published under the pseudonym of Bandi. If you've ever read any of Ismail Kadare's simple but effecting stories about life under dictatorship in Albania then there's a lot that will feel familiar. It may be an issue with the translation - and almost certainly because the author cannot have had the comfort of revisiting and reediting significantly - but whilst the stories are good they are not quite as amazing as promised, although the simple fact of their existence is remarkable.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:53 AM, Copa said:

I’ve just started In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust.

It must me the longest novel I’ve ever attempted. The previous big effort was Anna Karenina by Tolstoy and that was absolutely brilliant. This Proust novel is around 4-5 times longer. 

Sometimes I just want to be totally consumed by a novel and I’m hoping to do that with this publication.

Wish me luck!

I made it through the first book and into the second. Some amazing stuff in there. But I didn't have the patience and got a bit distracted. Enjoy the journey.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

5 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I can just about handle Asterix in the original

It was quite a surprise to find that the translations have lots of jokes that are not there in the original.

I only own two welsh language books - Asterix is one and Fireman Sam the other.

I actually made a start on the Proust this morning, but decided that reading in a state of almost heat-stroke meant I probably wouldn't appreciate it as much as I could. Later, on a cool evening...

So I turned to a re-read of something light and silly; Jerome K.Jerome's Second Thoughts of an idle Fellow, which is not only a delight to revisit, but is also available free as a Kindle download, because the author is out of copyright.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just finished on Audible: The Wonder by Emma Donoghue. Narrated well, which helps, and the story is a decent page turner. It covers quite similar ground to Hannah Kent's The Good People, being a sort-of-struggle between the female carers for a child who is not well but whose community is governed by Irish superstition in the mid 19th century. It's more satisfying than that book but I do agree with a Stephen King review (which is quite spoiler filled so only read if you're not planning on reading the book or you've just finished it) which says that the central story is more than strong and compelling enough and the additional secrets and romance (which come very late in the tale) totally unnecessary and a bit distracting.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2018 at 8:06 PM, Futtocks said:

So I turned to a re-read of something light and silly; Jerome K.Jerome's Second Thoughts of an idle Fellow, which is not only a delight to revisit, but is also available free as a Kindle download, because the author is out of copyright.

Got this and thanks for heads up!

Also want to thank whoever it was ( just can't remember) that suggested James McGee .... On for the second one now good holiday reads!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 hours ago, Oxford said:

Also want to thank whoever it was ( just can't remember) that suggested James McGee .... On for the second one now good holiday reads!

Always worth checking copyright dates of good writers, or you may end up paying for something you can get for nothing. Kenneth Grahame's another excellent writer whose books can be had in free Kindle editions.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

7 hours ago, Oxford said:

My pleasure , enjoy 

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2018 at 12:14 PM, DavidM said:

I was an audible member for ages then cancelled . Been offered 50% off for four months ( apparently I’ve been missed and was a valued customer ya know ) so I’ve took that up 

What do you think of Audible David? 

I borrow audio books from the library but I am considering joining audible. 

What do you listen to the books on? 

9 hours ago, Niels said:

Hiya pal , if you’re a reader it’s good . I scan my amazon wish list and take one out of there . Cancel any time and you should get a month free to start . Download the app for mobile or iPad and they go on that , so you listen anywhere . And once you’ve got it it’s yours even when you cancel . I listen to a few favs over n over . They pass the time if you’re pottering or out n about and the quality of production and narration is excellent nowadays . And the choice is literally endless !

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Niels said:

I listen to it all the time instead of listening to radio in the car and before I go to sleep etc.

Listen to the sample before you buy as some narrators  are brilliant and a few not so good.I often have one or two history or science books and one novel  on the go at same time.

If you get successful modern books and classics like Charles Dickens, Moby Dick, James Joyce , etc the reading is especially good I find.

Edited by westlondonfan
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Really helpful.

I can get a 30 day free trial with a free book so I will try that. 

It's great that you can keep the books if you cancel. I have kindle unlimited but the book choice is poor and you can't keep the books if you leave. There are some obscure rugby league books there though.

Thanks again. 

Currently nearing the end of Eduardo Galeano's 'Children of the Days' - 366 very short chapters, based on significant events that happened on each day of the year. Laconic, but poetic - recommended.

Review here: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/may/12/children-days-calendar-galeano-review

Edited by Futtocks

Ralph Waldo Emerson