Sign in to follow this  
Bedford Roughyed

10 dead at French Satirical Mag

Who are you wanting comments from?

I would want the Muslim leaders to make a Joint Statement that they intend to distance themselves from this ever growing number of extremists and look to cooperate with Police more about People that have extremists views and pass on Information about such individuals and ban them from Mosques etc. I dont believe the Muslim faith has done enough to distance itself from These extremists. The Problem is the more These attacks on innocent People in Sydney, Paris, London etc the more People will be Anti-Muslim. I feel the Muslim faith Needs to be way more active in weeding out and alienating These People that often organize such things in Mosques and Claim such acts in the Name of Allah.

We are told we Need to be more tolerant and understanding but I find it very hard to do so when you have a large number of Muslims who are happy to commit Terrorist attacks and are happy to go around threatening People who dont agree with them or parts of their faith. For me Tolerance Needs to come from both sides. But Muslims like others Need to understand and accept that this is Europe with our culture and laws. They might not like how People do things but that doesnt give them the right to burn books, issue fatwahs, threaten People and go around murdering People. I am growing ever more fearful of Muslims who are getting ever more violent and happy to commit acts in broad daylight in public in places where we drink, walk and work. The Politicians have to shoulder alot of the blame for this though.

It isn't a large number.  Its a massively small number.

Its not a group that you can bring together as one. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

It isn't a large number.  Its a massively small number.

Its not a group that you can bring together as one. 

It is a large number. 1000s that have left Europe, Americas, Australasia to fight for ISIS murdering innocent People to the individuals or small Groups that organize and commit such things in Sydney, London, Paris etc to the Muslims Kidnapping schoolkids and killing them in Nigeria and Pakistan etc. The acts of Terror are being committed by a large number in the Name of Islam/Allah.

Indeed, Thousands have made what must be a difficult move and gone to join ISIS etc. How many more sympathisers/ supporters/financers have remained behind, I wonder?

Four legs good - two legs bad

1 ) 1000's out of a billion is a small number.

2 ) Out of the 1000's who have gone to Syria many haven't joined ISIS they have joined groups fighting the Syrian government (groups 'we' support).

3 ) Again this is lumping every one in to some sort of coherent grouping.  It's not that easy.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Do we have a reliable estimate for how many people have left Europe and gone to fight the holy war in Iraq, Syria etc?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I would want the Muslim leaders to make a Joint Statement that they intend to distance themselves from this ever growing number of extremists and look to cooperate with Police more about People that have extremists views and pass on Information about such individuals and ban them from Mosques etc. I dont believe the Muslim faith has done enough to distance itself from These extremists. The Problem is the more These attacks on innocent People in Sydney, Paris, London etc the more People will be Anti-Muslim. I feel the Muslim faith Needs to be way more active in weeding out and alienating These People that often organize such things in Mosques and Claim such acts in the Name of Allah.

We are told we Need to be more tolerant and understanding but I find it very hard to do so when you have a large number of Muslims who are happy to commit Terrorist attacks and are happy to go around threatening People who dont agree with them or parts of their faith. For me Tolerance Needs to come from both sides. But Muslims like others Need to understand and accept that this is Europe with our culture and laws. They might not like how People do things but that doesnt give them the right to burn books, issue fatwahs, threaten People and go around murdering People. I am growing ever more fearful of Muslims who are getting ever more violent and happy to commit acts in broad daylight in public in places where we drink, walk and work. The Politicians have to shoulder alot of the blame for this though.

Well said, I couldn't agree more.

Sadly though, I can't see any end to these atrocities anytime soon. If these Islamic fanatics see atheists and followers of other faiths as infidels and people who "insult" their idea of a God all as groups of people that deserve a death sentence then this will go on for a long time. Even a tiny extreme minority of the Islam faith is a large number and seeing as they all think they're off to Paradise when they die, how can there be any sort of deterrent to prevent them continuing in their murdering sprees?

SL Steve Prescott Man of Steel 2016 - Danny Houghton  SL Top Gun 2016/2017 - Marc Sneyd (83%/89% goal success)

SL Hit Man 2016/2017 - Danny Houghton (1,289/1,123 tackles)  SL Club of the Year 2016 - Hull FC

SL Coach of the Year 2016 - Lee Radford   RL Challenge Cup Winners 2016/2017 - Hull FC

All in all, not a bad couple of years, I suppose...

Yep.

When these cartoon images have been released in the past we have seen Muslim groups take to the streets to protest. When there have been murders in the name of their religion, these groups are nowhere to be seen. From an outsiders point of view that could look like they care little. 

Where are the protests and vigils from the Muslim community? I understand the point that many may be scared, and many feel it is nothing to do with them, but I think Muslim Community Groups have a responsibility to be visibly against this - not just a press release.

Muslim Councils of Britain and of France condemned it.  I saw direct quotes from the East London Mosque and several Imams condemning it.  The Spectator, bastion of Islamic tolerance, rounded up the comments of Muslims on twitter that condemned it.  I've just had a look to see if Pakistan (country chosen because it came to the top of my head first) has given an official condemnation but I can't see that that they have - on the other hand they appear to have spent yesterday attacking the Taliban (and earning US praise for doing so) and executing some terrorists after a trial as well so maybe they had other things on their mind, y'know like actually fighting terrorism.

Oh, and the policeman executed in the street in the name of Islam? Muslim.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 ) 1000's out of a billion is a small number.

It may be a small percentage, but 1000's can certainly be described as a large number.

It may be a small percentage, but 1000's can certainly be described as a large number.

The low 1000's from the whole of Europe, Canada, Australia, is a large number?  Also, they didn't all join ISIS, they joined multiple groups fighting in Syria.  Some will of joined the Syrian government side! 

Chris Morris and David Baddiel have both done film work in the past few years that satirises Islam (more accurately: satarises Islamic extremism).

Much gentler but therefore more mainstream: Citizen Kahn absolutely nails the kind of self-appointed "community spokesman" with outdated and stupid attitudes. Though granted it stinks as a comedy!

Yes, fair point.

I should add that the character of Mr Khan was absolutely p*** funny when he was a regular on the radio show 'Down The Line' but has been heavily sanitised for TV.

Muslim Councils of Britain and of France condemned it.

As Mandy Rice Davies might have said if she hadn't died last week:

'Well, they would, wouldn't they.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Absolutely, it was only 2 guys that caused all the mayhem yesterday.

The low 1000's from the whole of Europe, Canada, Australia, is a large number?  Also, they didn't all join ISIS, they joined multiple groups fighting in Syria.  Some will of joined the Syrian government side! 

Yes. You are still talking proportions.

BTW I have no idea whether 1000's joined ISIS etc. 

As Mandy Rice Davies might have said if she hadn't died last week:

'Well, they would, wouldn't they.

I don't know, would they?  They could have said that the killings were abhorrent but reflected genuine anger at depictions of the prophet.  They didn't.  They explicitly and without equivocation condemned the killings.

Absolutely, it was only 2 guys that caused all the mayhem yesterday.

Three.

And ignore the nonsense about them being precise military operatives - they went to the wrong office first.

I didn't say it was acceptable. In fact I said I didn't agree with fatwas!  But the fatwa against Rushdie - who is actually still alive and has survived the person who issued the fatwa - was by a national leader against an individual for a specific act.  That is different from an unknown group of individuals spraying a room with AK45s without warning.

I didn't mean to imply that you found it acceptable as clearly you, or any rational person doesn't. But this is where the situation yesterday really spawned from.

Pre-Rushdie, you simply did not issue death threats and bounties for peoples heads because they wrote an offensive book. You may have been offended by said book which is your right and you were entitled to protest about the matter but death threats? That was something that nazis might do perhaps.... But then when we did get that scenario, what happened? Absolutely nothing.

I used to be what you might call a right lefty. I used to buy The Guardian, I went on marches shouting stuff. So when someone did this I expected blanket condemnation from the left and a refusal to see it for anything other than it was. After all, it was (and I stand to be corrected on some points...memory and all that) only a few months earlier that there was uproar about Section 28 (banning teachers promoting gayissues in schools) and IIRC Billy Bragg saying 'They'll be burning the books next'......so I expected similar outrage about such fascist demands. Our survey said...'uhh uhh'. 

It was the main reason I stopped buying the paper and realised that most of these people wee just full of carp who make excuses for people in order to seem right on or not rock the boat. Screw them and screw the paper.

Three.

And ignore the nonsense about them being precise military operatives - they went to the wrong office first.

So three then and the wrong office?That's not much at the end of the day. The way they simply slaughtered the policeman on the ground says to me that they weren't beginners.

There have been some very powerful cartoons on the back of this. Some of the European newspapers have been very bold in their choice of front page too - only The Independent seems to have been bold in the UK.

So three then and the wrong office?That's not much at the end of the day. The way they simply slaughtered the policeman on the ground says to me that they weren't beginners.

It doesn't take much.  The President of the US was killed by a loner with a good aim.

I haven't watched the execution video so can't comment on that.

Yes running backwards and forwards up and down the street is the sign of professionals.

Yes. You are still talking proportions.

BTW I have no idea whether 1000's joined ISIS etc. 

Reportedly 5000 from this country went.

There have been some very powerful cartoons on the back of this. Some of the European newspapers have been very bold in their choice of front page too - only The Independent seems to have been bold in the UK.

Stephen Pollard, editor of the Jewish Chronicle, gave quite an eloquent account of his reasoning ending with, "Why should I put my staff at risk to make a point?"

It is noticeable though that the British press have gone for the shock value of seeing people killed rather than the genuine courage it would take to put the 'offending' images up.  The European press have shown greater courage.

Yes running backwards and forwards up and down the street is the sign of professionals.

And shooting a man on the ground in the head is hardly a sign of a bungling clown but a heartless killer and you rarely get to that without practice.

But as long as there are only a few of them then that's ok.