State of Origin Game 1 (Spoilers)

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a classic by any means but each team cancelled each other out.

Defensive structures are always going to be harder to break down at the top level than they used to be some years ago.

Its these games that have caused us to win nothing in four decades against the Aussies, who are we playing in preparation for the Kiwis?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

I still really enjoyed it but definitely not one of the better SOO games. Bring on the 2nd game think it will be a classic as NSW will be forced to attack.

Thurston missing the last conversion and also the long-range penalty was a good thing for the game, as it kept the scores level. That did a lot for the tension in the last 10 minutes. Not a classic, but a tight finish, which is good.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Why no Pat Richards? You want a reliable winger who can catch and can kick? Go Pat Richards. 

I think Richards would have got all the conversions and he can kick drop goals easy. 

Because he was not selected. based on his NRL performances this year.

Have they picked Hodkinson out of NRL performances?

They play in different positions.

You have to select players available for each position I believe.

Pat Richards was not considered a SOO player in his prime, at 33 years old he is still not getting a spot.

I think Richards' kicking is a reason alone. 

I don't think they pick players for their kicking alone since Ross Conlon held a wing spot based on his kicking.

Not a classic by any means but each team cancelled each other out.

Defensive structures are always going to be harder to break down at the top level than they used to be some years ago.

Its these games that have caused us to win nothing in four decades against the Aussies, who are we playing in preparation for the Kiwis?

Who would you suggest they play? Lancashire v Yorkshire wouldn't be either dull or intense enough

Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

Who would you suggest they play? Lancashire v Yorkshire wouldn't be either dull or intense enough

How about France.

Or have we given up on them.

This isn't the "top level" though. England, New Zealand, Australia and Samoa played at the "top level" late last year and average 41 points a game over 7 matches with thw 2 best sides in the world sharing 40 points in the Final. 

I thought the first half was brilliant. Great attack and great defence from both teams. In the second half NSW let QLD take control and shut the game down, though their defence stood up well. QLD were disappointing in attack, but I think that was because they were content to control field position rather than take risks with the ball. NSW still had their chances to win late, but lacked the composure QLD have. In the end it wasn't a classic - but Origin is all about composure and discipline and QLD had that.

The picking apart of the carcass has already begun. Who said we don't like our blood sports in NSW? With Gallen and BMoz probably fit for Origin 2 there will be some changes. I finally accept that Pearce did enough to hold his spot, although I thought his decision to throw the ball wide to the right in the 73rd minute was dumb, especially when the field goal was the obvious play.

There is also the shoulder injury to Farah. The current estimate is 3-5 weeks. Ennis? Peats? Mitch Rein?

Average game and Queensland having the ability and experience to kill NSW. Also once again the underrated Cronk steps up and Shows how much Queensland missed him last year. I feel still NZ would have beaten either side and played more open Rugby than that. Decision making by NSW was awful and the halfbacks did next to nothing. Can see a 3-0 win for Queensland.

What a difference it would have made if Morris actually tried dotting down under the posts considering the final score.

Indeed. Although, on one of the replays, a Maroon player (possibly Thurston) was running parallel as Morris crossed the line, so he'd have only improved the kick by a few metres.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The Dugan kick to Morris Try was pretty good I thought.

Plenty of skill in that lead up.

Excellent try, that.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

That shows Thurston covering but it doesn't show if he gave up or continued

There was a longer shot from the original camera angle, and he's heading towards Morris as he crosses the tryline. About 1:30 in on this clip.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

From this neutral fan's point of view, it was a rather average game.

A few moments of brilliance (mainly morris' try or cronk's one) lost in a see of nothingness.

The game lacked the intensity of previous contests, NSW halves where mostly ineffective and/or downright pathetic (how many useless kicks did Pearce do? All those bombs without giving the chasers a chance tell me he had no idea), and in the second half, for all its dominance Queensland was actually rather pedestrian.

I used to look forward to the SOO series every year. Now, I watch it out of habit, mainly because I need my rugby fix.

Up, up Cronulla; The boys in the black, white and blue; Up, up Cronulla; Name of the Sharks fits you; Sharks, Sharks forever; Go out and play without fear; Now's the time to see good football*; For the Sharks are here!

* Subject to change

Currently playing: Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism & Swing States 2012

This isn't the "top level" though. England, New Zealand, Australia and Samoa played at the "top level" late last year and average 41 points a game over 7 matches with thw 2 best sides in the world sharing 40 points in the Final. 

Now, I am not sure about this - but do you reckon that QLD or NSW would have been at least competitive in the four nations? I think they might have been.

Maybe it was just a one-off bad game but that was rather rubbish wasn't it. WIthout wishing to cause any offence, it was a bit like watching Hull FC v Widnes. If you were to describe that as top level then the whole game's in trouble. 

I don't doubt that NSW or QLD would have been competitive in the 4 nations in the same way that Fiji would have been, but compared to the quality of NZ in the ANZAC test for example, they're a long way off.

Hopefully this will go some way to putting international RL at the top of the tree for a change.

Archived