RFL.

My perception of the RFL is that of a body that is focussed on keeping the game alive through a conservative approach based on the income that the game generates. The RFL appears to spend too much effort on keeping existing clubs happy so that the status quo remains.

However, i believe that within these confines the RFL have done a good job in stabilising the sport; initiating the successful GF concept; the Magic Weekend that is growing; the 8's that I believe will be succesful with tweaking; levelling the competition through the salary cap.

However, the strategy appears to be short termism and is subject to change dependent on who shouts loudest.

The opposite approach is to bring in new people and/or a independent governing body that is focussed on developing a 20 year strategy that clearly shows milestone where the game will be. This body needs to have the skills, contacts and clout to deliver the strategy without being siderailed by clubs self interest.

The governing body would need to speculate to accumulate with minimum danger to the competition.

This body needs to clearly explain to clubs that the game needs to see the bigger picture and in 20 years time the competition and make up of clubs may be markedly different.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some very good points being made. A few observations:

★ Magic to be a 9s instead? In principle yes but do you really think the clubs will put their best players in?

★ the RFL is to be praised for the significant financial and other support we receive in the Midlands and South. This is giving us a real chance of being successful and establishing the sport.

★ Nigel was very influential in allowing the Catalans in to SL.

★ Should the season emulate RU and open with a huge match ie Wigan v St Helens at a Premier League venue?

★ Without the international game being moved centre stage I am afraid we shall always be a side show.

★ Toulouse in League 1 is a wonderful decision by the RFL now there is a route to the top. I say this knowing my club must visit them!

★ A target must be a strong France v England every Bastille Day in Paris.

★ The real problem for us all is the NRL - global growth is a threat to SOO. Look at Gould's recent outburst re the excellent NZ 9s.

Pity the sport doesn't take more heed of you guys!

Some interesting points being made.

I actually think the RFL have been brave and innovative on many things.

- Magic

- Playoffs and GF when we hadnt had these in recent history

- Launch of England rl brand and Exiles concept

- super 8's

- Introduction of licensing

- Crusaders and Catalan

- Toulouse

- best WC ever

- expansion at the bottom

- expanded wcs

Wood has been involved in all of these things.

Ultimately, some of these have worked, some havent, but when we are scratching round for every penny that will always be the case.

Holding up the RFU's as a template is a nonsense, they also receive plenty of criticism, and their sport is in an entirely different place to ours, probably always will be.

When have the rfu brought in any expansion clubs at the top? Scottish and Welsh Unions have hardly expanded, both reducing the number of clubs at top flight.

It has been easy for the rfu to make tgeir decisions as they are awash with money, have a strong France right next door, own their own stadium etc.

The rfl are tasked with too much, bailing out clubs, sorting France out, delivering an international calendar, dealing with megalomaniacs publicly berating them for lack of marquee rule, which then, surprise surprise, is a damp squib.

They should be focusing on England RL. That should be the main focus and will do more for attracting fans from new areas than sticking a new club in Newcastle, or Birmingham etc.

Well done,but what would that be?And how is it achieved?

It's fairly easy from my point of view

The rugby league World Cup as the bedrock of our game every four years

A kangaroo tour and a kiwi tour every two years each

Involving PNG in tours are essential as well as planning the domestic league growth in Fiji, Serbia the Czech Republic, Poland Russia , the Ukraine, Italy and Tonga as a priority

Focus of schools and youth development in key countries

Strong focus on the Lebanon as a beacon for rugby league

Appointing rugby league ambassadors who can provide coaching and strategic guidance. For example Brian smith had just spent time in Serbia

Ensuring developing countries are not left isolated and that there is a strategic plan in place

I could go on and on and on

I'm of the opinion that until we grow the game internationally and become less reliant on the income from the clubs to bankroll the sport, we will always be fighting a losing battle. I believe that those at the top of the RFL are not the people to take us forward and we need to recruit people with business acumen and vision. 

The loss of London Broncos as a viable entity is the biggest blow to the sport in recent times and it will have set the game in the south back 20+ years, but the RFL don't seem to care.......this is indicative of their "self preservation" being their #1 priority. 

Treading water is the best description I can offer of Nigels time at the helm.....

If the RFL had spent as much money on London as they have Bradford in the last 3 years they would have seen a better return for their money.

Involving PNG in tours are essential as well as planning the domestic league growth in Fiji, Serbia the Czech Republic, Poland Russia , the Ukraine, Italy and Tonga as a priority

Appointing rugby league ambassadors who can provide coaching and strategic guidance. For example Brian smith had just spent time in Serbia

Ensuring developing countries are not left isolated and that there is a strategic plan in place

All great ideas.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

I think we all agree then - put the international element right and much of everything else falls in to place. Trouble is we have been saying this all our lives!

at least we have a start in that we have had 2 good world cups which only look like going one way.

We just need to fill the other three years now!

Most of that is happening

The first thing we need (and what we've needed for as long as I can remember) is greater exposure.. Or should I just say "exposure", as we currently have none.

Wasn't Barwick brought on to do tho using his influence with the media and his contacts in his magic black book?

Some interesting points being made.

I actually think the RFL have been brave and innovative on many things.

- Magic

- Playoffs and GF when we hadnt had these in recent history

- Launch of England rl brand and Exiles concept

- super 8's

- Introduction of licensing

- Crusaders and Catalan

- Toulouse

- best WC ever

- expansion at the bottom

- expanded wcs

Wood has been involved in all of these things.

Ultimately, some of these have worked, some havent, but when we are scratching round for every penny that will always be the case.

Holding up the RFU's as a template is a nonsense, they also receive plenty of criticism, and their sport is in an entirely different place to ours, probably always will be.

When have the rfu brought in any expansion clubs at the top? Scottish and Welsh Unions have hardly expanded, both reducing the number of clubs at top flight.

It has been easy for the rfu to make tgeir decisions as they are awash with money, have a strong France right next door, own their own stadium etc.

The rfl are tasked with too much, bailing out clubs, sorting France out, delivering an international calendar, dealing with megalomaniacs publicly berating them for lack of marquee rule, which then, surprise surprise, is a damp squib.

They should be focusing on England RL. That should be the main focus and will do more for attracting fans from new areas than sticking a new club in Newcastle, or Birmingham etc.

But Woods thinks that structure is the problem, in fact RL for years (decades) has always thought changing the fixture structure, more divisions less divisions, 4 up 4 down, 3 up 3 down, 2 up 2 down, top 5 play-off, top 16 play-off. The list is endless.

The problem is money, or lack of it. Lyndsay recognised this and realised that a game short on resources was spreading them to thinly. 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

But Woods thinks that structure is the problem, in fact RL for years (decades) has always thought changing the fixture structure, more divisions less divisions, 4 up 4 down, 3 up 3 down, 2 up 2 down, top 5 play-off, top 16 play-off. The list is endless.

The problem is money, or lack of it. Lyndsay recognised this and realised that a game short on resources was spreading them to thinly. 

I'm not sure why people get too upset by the changes to structures. 

Just because Wood is now in charge at a time when we have changed the structure, that doesn't mean that he believes that is all it takes to fix it.

Lindsay was fortunate that News Corp were suddenly interested in buying RL due to the SL war, but hey, guess what, he oversaw a change in structure!

People get obsessed with the structure point because a) it is not their personal choice, and b. ) it allows them to bash the RFL.

There is plenty more going on outside of tweaking the structure, but people are just obsessed.

People hold up RU as a sport that has it right, yet we have seen rucks of structure changes in that sport - their fans don't just go on about it and act like brat when their favourite one is not chosen.

Some good post and good idea's. Most IMO are aimed at improving the game for people who are already Fans, I'm all in favour of strengthening the International game, The magic weekend etc, but two thirds of the country doesn't know what RL is.

The future of League ( short team at least ) is TV. We want it and need it ramming down people,s throat like Soccer and Union. Newcastle is a great weekend, but it's mainly for league fans, the number of people converted will be next to nothing, It needs teams up there to do that . TV is the fastest way of generating new fans but League get's the same Sh*tty deal from TV that it get's from the press.

Fans through the gate in sport are no longer the big deal they were, Yes they are good but they are a bonus, and they provide an atmosphere ( better at some grounds than others ) TV funds the game ( for better or worse ) the game needs to recognise that and get people in who know how to exploit it.

It is everything you need for a physical contact sport, it's fast , exiting and getting better, The more and better it comes across on TV the sooner you will convert people into Fans and get them wanting to play. (It needs to get rid of the circus gimmicks ) That for me is our best way to expand. All dependent of course on capable people steering the ship.

Dont expect anything from a pig but a grunt

We all could now here's £3.60 go and do it.

I'm not sure why people get too upset by the changes to structures. 

Just because Wood is now in charge at a time when we have changed the structure, that doesn't mean that he believes that is all it takes to fix it.

Lindsay was fortunate that News Corp were suddenly interested in buying RL due to the SL war, but hey, guess what, he oversaw a change in structure!

People get obsessed with the structure point because a) it is not their personal choice, and b. ) it allows them to bash the RFL.

There is plenty more going on outside of tweaking the structure, but people are just obsessed.

People hold up RU as a sport that has it right, yet we have seen rucks of structure changes in that sport - their fans don't just go on about it and act like brat when their favourite one is not chosen.

You seem to have slightly missed my point, the game has always thought the answer is to get the structure right and fans and money will flow in, it has never worked except for one exception when the driver was different.

When News Corp came along there was seismic shift in the games finances allowing it to restructure not in a vain attempt to bring in cash, but a restructure driven by the fact that we had cash. There is a big difference between the two.

Woods is of the old school, change the structure in vain hope, as opposed to Lindsay and Lewis who saw finance as the key to driving the game forward.

Structure changes have never worked as a financial driver but finance has been the key to the only structural change that boosted attendances over a long period.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

For the game to grow and bring onboard decent sponsors (and subsequently money) the game has to break in to London and the south. Only Nigel Woods doesn't see that.

It will always be a parochial northern game otherwise

Sky needs to get rid of commentators like Stevo and bring in articulate speakers. The brand has to change

Someone like Lewis(independent, impartial, experienced...) the ex head of the game in UK is what we are after. 

For the game to grow and bring onboard decent sponsors (and subsequently money) the game has to break in to London and the south. Only Nigel Woods doesn't see that.

Someone like Lewis(independent, impartial, experienced...) the ex head of the game in UK is what we are after. 

I think Lewis tried every avenue he could to improve the games prospects and take it out of being a parochial northern game.

But none of it really worked in the end due to a lack of investment money needed to fund growth. The SKY money is barely enough to keep SL afloat.

I don't think Nigel Wood fails to see that the game needs international expansion and countrywide expansion.

What he has seen first hand is Lewis trying it and failing due to a lack of money and the massive problem of the game being heavily overshadowed by Union and Soccer.

What money is available is spent to consolidate the game and stop it going backwards, that's what Wood is doing, but because he doesn't chase grand schemes to expand doesn't mean he would not want to "break into London and the South"

What would be the strategy to do that?

What would be the cost?

If that cost was taken from the "Parochial game" would that risk it going backwards??

I think Lewis tried every avenue he could to improve the games prospects and take it out of being a parochial northern game.

But none of it really worked in the end due to a lack of investment money needed to fund growth. The SKY money is barely enough to keep SL afloat.

I don't think Nigel Wood fails to see that the game needs international expansion and countrywide expansion.

What he has seen first hand is Lewis trying it and failing due to a lack of money and the massive problem of the game being heavily overshadowed by Union and Soccer.

What money is available is spent to consolidate the game and stop it going backwards, that's what Wood is doing, but because he doesn't chase grand schemes to expand doesn't mean he would not want to "break into London and the South"

What would be the strategy to do that?

What would be the cost?

If that cost was taken from the "Parochial game" would that risk it going backwards??

That would be my take on things almost exactly.

One thing to add to Wood's achievements is saving Salford. He probably though the same about Hughes and London but he's not a magician.

One major difference between the RFL and RFU is one of power. I don't think people realise how little power the RFL actually has. All power resides with the clubs and yet they still throw hissy fits when things don't suite them. The marquee player rule is a perfect example. Clubs turn it down: clubs vote for it.

The RFU have had huge and bloody battles with the clubs and this will break out again when current agreements end. What they do have however is pots of money from the international game which means that ultimately they keep control. If only the RFL had that things would be entirely different.

Sky needs to get rid of commentators like Stevo and bring in articulate speakers. The brand has to change

I'd agree with all of that.

Like it or not, agree or disagree, the reality is that as a game we are seen as a localised pastime by sponsors and the media. We need to change that perception and Nigel isn't the bloke to do that in my opinion

You seem to have slightly missed my point, the game has always thought the answer is to get the structure right and fans and money will flow in, it has never worked except for one exception when the driver was different.

When News Corp came along there was seismic shift in the games finances allowing it to restructure not in a vain attempt to bring in cash, but a restructure driven by the fact that we had cash. There is a big difference between the two.

Woods is of the old school, change the structure in vain hope, as opposed to Lindsay and Lewis who saw finance as the key to driving the game forward.

Structure changes have never worked as a financial driver but finance has been the key to the only structural change that boosted attendances over a long period.

Not really, and my post wasn't a dig at you, or any individuals really, I just don't see that all Wood is interested in is the structure. That has been a big focus in the last two years because of the review, but I don;t see any evidence that he believes that will just fix everything.

It was interesting to hear that Lionel Hurst stated that Wood played a large part in getting Catalan in SL, and he oversaw the most successful WC yet - yet people completely dismiss this for Wood and focus on the structure changes.

I'm not Wood's biggest fan based on the International arrangements since the World Cup, but there is literally nothing to support the view that he thinks everything will be fixed through structure changes. It is simply one of the changes that he believes is right. One of.

Both Lewis and Lindsay oversaw structure changes.

Archived