Cost of a family ticket to NRL

So, a recent report from the news feed in Australia suggests that there is outrage at the cost of attending a match day for a family. I've ripped some of the article .... But based on a rough $2 to the pound its suggesting that the most expensive side is manly where x2 adults & x2 children with 4 pies and 4 bags of crisps is £57 roughly, compared to at parramatta where it is £35.

So they have a far stronger economy than ours and a far superior league and brand of football (pains me to say it), yet it would seem its significantly cheaper to go and watch than over here.

I appreciate here that a family day out at league is cheaper than soccer but does anyone else feel we are paying a touch too much over here? Would be interesting to see how 4 tickets-4 pies-4bags of crisps would cost at your club?

Article.....

team, while Warriors supporters are forking out the least according to a Rugby League Week report.

Based on the price of admission tickets, four pies and four packets of chips, it costs families $114 for a day at the dilapidated Brookvale Oval, $45 more than it does for the four people at Mt Smart Stadium.

Parramatta are the cheapest Australian club for families to go watch, with the same experience costing a family $70

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well for a start wages are clearly higher, their minimum wage is nearly £2 an hour more than here. I like the way that from a piece I found relatively informative and eye opening you just want to try and cut the argument apart on a remark about the state of the Australian economy. I visit Australia pretty much every year and from what I see and the prices I pay 'in general' it has to have a pretty strong economy!!!

A stronger economy? Where did you get that from?

We didn't have a "Global" Financial Crisis here. Economic growth forecasts for 2016 show UK at 2.2% and OZ at 3%

Attended matches at ANZ & Suncorp on my first visit to Australia last year and couldn't believe you got free rail travel with a match ticket,brilliant,but surely crowds should be higher given the product and the value for money.

The difference between here and Australia is the they put a value on a match according to its status. You can easily pay £80-100+ for SOO or Test Match or GF. In the UK we are flogging our showpiece games for a pittance and often BOGOF. 

For those SOO tickets, if you've got a group, you can get a private box for 16 people with a waiter for about £1850

Is that at Suncorp?

They are selling private boxes for 10 with a drinks package for $1,325 per person for a box for 10 people.

That is $13,250 for the box.

£6,904 Pounds for the box

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

I don't mind what we pay here to watch rugby. Around the 20/22 quid mark is what I believe to be acceptable. It's just all the additional extras which are extortionate like food and drink and a big bug bear of mine, how expensive it is for car parks around stadiums.

Despite me thinking 20/22 is a good price for a ticket, I do feel us Brits are ripped off, especially when you look at the cost of tickets elsewhere in the most elite leagues, regardless of sport.

So, a recent report from the news feed in Australia suggests that there is outrage at the cost of attending a match day for a family. I've ripped some of the article .... But based on a rough $2 to the pound its suggesting that the most expensive side is manly where x2 adults & x2 children with 4 pies and 4 bags of crisps is £57 roughly, compared to at parramatta where it is £35.

So they have a far stronger economy than ours and a far superior league and brand of football (pains me to say it), yet it would seem its significantly cheaper to go and watch than over here.

I appreciate here that a family day out at league is cheaper than soccer but does anyone else feel we are paying a touch too much over here? Would be interesting to see how 4 tickets-4 pies-4bags of crisps would cost at your club?

Article.....

team, while Warriors supporters are forking out the least according to a Rugby League Week report.

Based on the price of admission tickets, four pies and four packets of chips, it costs families $114 for a day at the dilapidated Brookvale Oval, $45 more than it does for the four people at Mt Smart Stadium.

Parramatta are the cheapest Australian club for families to go watch, with the same experience costing a family $70[/quote

So....so.....no,

I don't mind what we pay here to watch rugby. Around the 20/22 quid mark is what I believe to be acceptable. It's just all the additional extras which are extortionate like food and drink and a big bug bear of mine, how expensive it is for car parks around stadiums.

Despite me thinking 20/22 is a good price for a ticket, I do feel us Brits are ripped off, especially when you look at the cost of tickets elsewhere in the most elite leagues, regardless of sport.

Britain is a rip off full stop. Australia is catching up and/or overtaking Britain in many circumstances

Leeds are downsizing Headingley and phrases like "increased corporate offering" and "maximising demand" are being bandied about. I can see the gap between Aussie prices and English getting wider. It's already more expensive at Headingley for children than it is at Elland Road

Britain is a rip off full stop. Australia is catching up and/or overtaking Britain in many circumstances

On sports ticket prices alone it's ridiculous. Premier League and even lower league football charge over the odds. Bundesliga and Serie A you can get hold of a ticket for 10/15 notes and it's the same with cricket too.

Still, we're daft enough to pay the extortionate prices. Luckily we do alright as RL fans, even though you can get a NRL ticket for cheaper. I'm sure the vast number of sponsors and TV deal allows them to sell cheaper tickets for all games apart from the GF and SOO.

Leeds are downsizing Headingley and phrases like "increased corporate offering" and "maximising demand" are being bandied about. I can see the gap between Aussie prices and English getting wider. It's already more expensive at Headingley for children than it is at Elland Road

Leeds aren't "downsizing" they are redeveloping whilst retaining capacity. At a cost to Leeds RL of around £25m when it's all done.

In Australia stadia are financed by regional governments - the sort of huge financial burden English owner/developer clubs like Leeds, St Helens and Warrington have to bear simply isn't present over there.

Part of the reason why they're making it so expensive to pay on the gate down here for NRL games is that they're pushing for more fans to become members, i.e. season ticket holders. 

As an example, last year it was $25 for a general admission ticket for the Canberra Raiders, whereas this year I've picked up the cheapest membership for $150 and that includes 12 games and a crappy membership pack. Plus the stadiums are looking at bringing the cost of the food and drink down but I personally think that's a crock as why do you need to spend a truck load of money on food at the ground? 

Leeds aren't "downsizing" they are redeveloping whilst retaining capacity. At a cost to Leeds RL of around £25m when it's all done.

Overall capacity is being reduced by 775. That follows the 2,000 loss in capacity a couple of years ago (which was promised would be temporary). So we're going down in size from 23,522 to 20,747. But that will maximise demand and provide an increased corporate offering

The cost of going to a game especially if you are taking your Family is significant for many people.

Its not bad if you are going with your mates and only have to pay for yourself.

One thing is for sure they have helped the responsible service of alcohol at the games with the prices they charge.

A day out at the footy is very cheep entertainment as far as I'm concerned. I laugh when I hear the moaning about it being to expensive bla bla bla, Go to any licenced club in Australia and you'll see these same whingers feeding 20's and 50's through the poker machines  all night but god forbid they have to pay a fair price to watch an excellent product like the NRL.

A day out at the footy is very cheep entertainment as far as I'm concerned. I laugh when I hear the moaning about it being to expensive bla bla bla, Go to any licenced club in Australia and you'll see these same whingers feeding 20's and 50's through the poker machines  all night but god forbid they have to pay a fair price to watch an excellent product like the NRL.

Well it may be at Souths if you are just paying for yourself.

If you are in Leeds paying for your family in tough times maybe not so much.

Not every one plays the Pokies and some places do not even have them.

Absolutely rabbit,£57 for an afternoons/evenings entertainment for a family is brilliant value for money.

Absolutely rabbit,£57 for an afternoons/evenings entertainment for a family is brilliant value for money.

So that is for a crappy Pie, a bag of crisps (not hot chips) and nothing to drink, those prices are for the cheapest deal and worst seats in the ground.

Sounds like a bargain.

No wonder the teams play to full Houses every week.

Archived