Jump to content

Park Run


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, shaun mc said:

Well done mate, and sounds like you've enjoyed it. I run better in the rain and mud rather than the recent hot, dry conditions. My best run was in minus 2, snowing and also in the dark (can't see the hills!)

Where was the event?

 

Around hindhede nature reserve in Singapore. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


23 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Around hindhede nature reserve in Singapore. 

Nice one. A bit of competition is certainly a huge step up from just doing the training as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Started running again in May and set myself a target to beat 25 minutes for a Park Run for the first time. It's not amazing by any stretch but I was made up to do it in 24 minutes 36 seconds today. 

I feel like I've been pretty much the only person in the country not enjoying the warm weather as I hate running in the heat. Today was like a revelation, cool and bucketed it down and I felt like I could've ran all day. Got a massive stitch with about 500m to go that nearly derailed me but I hung on.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2018 at 3:52 AM, Maximus Decimus said:

Started running again in May and set myself a target to beat 25 minutes for a Park Run for the first time. It's not amazing by any stretch but I was made up to do it in 24 minutes 36 seconds today. 

I feel like I've been pretty much the only person in the country not enjoying the warm weather as I hate running in the heat. Today was like a revelation, cool and bucketed it down and I felt like I could've ran all day. Got a massive stitch with about 500m to go that nearly derailed me but I hung on.

I attempted the original 'run' i started off with on Saturday. Beat my time by 25 mins or so which was nice, but still outside 1 hour for the 10k (64 mins or something i think it was). I need to wake up at 6am i reckon as the heat has been ferocious recently.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been struggling with injury and illness but I'm back training now - it's really hard to pick up again when you're so much slower than you have been (5 minutes away from my 5K PB at the moment)

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, tim2 said:

I've been struggling with injury and illness but I'm back training now - it's really hard to pick up again when you're so much slower than you have been (5 minutes away from my 5K PB at the moment)

I have just started back running again after a lengthy period off through illness, it's frustrating being slow and unfit but it's rewarding seeing the minutes per mile drop off, I've improved by 90 seconds a mile in 2 weeks. I am however still a long way off wher e I'd like to be with at least another 3 minutes per mile to come off.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Plenty of people will buy good quality kit , even if the price is higher than some brands .

I hope he can make a few bob and employ a few people .

I have heard he turned down a low offer from a major brand to take over the Parkrun concept in the early days .

Poland later for parkrun , plus a few beers etc etc .✈️

 

Edited by henage
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did my 50th different UK parkrun at Chester yesterday, 198th in total

  • Like 6

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gdansk parkrun Saturday , didnt get round due to knee hurting like hell .

Everyone else ran well , great course , alongside the Baltic .

Great place for a weekend , plenty to do and very good value . 

Trip down the river was my highlight , massive and I mean massive docks,wharf's , sheds , ramps , ships , factories etc .

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, henage said:

Gdansk parkrun Saturday , didnt get round due to knee hurting like hell .

Everyone else ran well , great course , alongside the Baltic .

Great place for a weekend , plenty to do and very good value . 

Trip down the river was my highlight , massive and I mean massive docks,wharf's , sheds , ramps , ships , factories etc .

What's the best page for finding where park runs are?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

What's the best page for finding where park runs are?

parkrun.org.uk then click on the logo on the top right, pick a country and away you go.

Actually if you zoom any of the country maps out, all of the world parkruns are visible.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2018 at 1:42 PM, henage said:

5 million people world wide signed up for parkrun , fantastic numbers .

When I first went to one in 2015, I thought it was a really positive thing that had sprung up organically. I must admit though, I doubted how long it would continue for, it almost seemed too good to be true. I went to one in early September this year and it was the third highest attended ever; there was no special occasion.

On a personal note, I beat my record again yesterday and did it in just over 24 minutes. I'm not actually exactly sure because being tight, I never bought a proper barcode and realised as I was leaving I'd accidentally washed my paper copy. So my best time, that I may never beat (that's the pessimist in me!) is currently showing as 'unknown' on the Parkrun website. 

Edited by Maximus Decimus
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I picked up running 6 months ago with one aim - to try and beat my best ever run. I've hit my mid 30s and become very aware that if I was a sportsman I'd be past my peak and things are only likely to go downwards from here. My previous best was when I was still in my 20s but I didn't think it was a good enough level of fitness to look back on and be proud of. I started hopeful that I could beat it but unsure whether the body was up to it. 

Today, I beat my 10k personal best by 4 minutes, breaking 50 minutes in the process. Not often I set a target and do it. 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I picked up running 6 months ago with one aim - to try and beat my best ever run. I've hit my mid 30s and become very aware that if I was a sportsman I'd be past my peak and things are only likely to go downwards from here. My previous best was when I was still in my 20s but I didn't think it was a good enough level of fitness to look back on and be proud of. I started hopeful that I could beat it but unsure whether the body was up to it. 

Today, I beat my 10k personal best by 4 minutes, breaking 50 minutes in the process. Not often I set a target and do it. 

 

 

Congratulations but as a distance runner in your thirties you are just coming into your prime

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/14/2018 at 6:52 PM, Maximus Decimus said:

So my best time, that I may never beat (that's the pessimist in me!) is currently showing as 'unknown' on the Parkrun website. 

Yeah, I've tried that one to impress the missus a few times; she's not daft though.

  • Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just under 2 weeks to go until Escape from Meriden. 

24 hours to get as far away from the start point at the Meriden Cross near Coventry as you can, as the crow flies. Starting at midnight.

One more recce to go. Did 20 miles on Saturday night, few wrong turns and nav issues ironed out. Plan is to run until 12.05 on the second night to make sure we hit 24hours and we have a route mapped out to hit 75 miles as the crow flies or 95 in actual distance covered.

Support crews are arranged so it’s just get this last recce done and get all good bought and prepped for the day. Drop off food with crew that’s meeting us at 6am and arrange a small drop bag for the 2.30am pit stop 

Edited by stimpo-and-kat
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, stimpo-and-kat said:

Just under 2 weeks to go until Escape from Meriden

24 hours to get as far away from the start point at the Meriden Cross near Coventry as you can, as the crow flies. Starting at midnight.

One more recce to go. Did 20 miles on Saturday night, few wrong turns and nav issues ironed out. Plan is to run until 12.05 on the second night to make sure we hit 24hours and we have a route mapped out to hit 75 miles as the crow flies or 95 in actual distance covered.

Support crews are arranged so it’s just get this last recce done and get all good bought and prepped for the day. Drop off food with crew that’s meeting us at 6am and arrange a small drop bag for the 2.30am pit stop 

That looks like a very cool event. I assume many disclaimers are in place.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was up on the North Yorkshire Moors Sunday supporting my partner running in an event put on by Esk Valley Fell running club ? . 7 - 8 miles over the moors entry was  £5 , very friendly and well run , weather was ideal which is always a bonus .

Edited by henage
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Doing a 10k around Beckenham at 11.02 on Sunday, should be fun. Hoping to get round under 52 mins.

  • Like 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...