Sign in to follow this  
henage

Park Run

7 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Did the Hastings Parkrun with Younger Ginger a few weeks ago.  Obviously as we're in Shoreditch on Sea, it's way cooler than any of the runs you guys will have endured.  I pity you.  I think they get between 100 and 250 depending on the weather.  Very friendly and was impressed by the whole set-up, although one of their barcode machines was faulty which meant that despite me and Younger Ginger crossing the line together (he one step ahead so he could win) our times were 10 seconds different.

Life has got in the way of going back but hope to do so over the winter.

That will have nowt to do with the barcode machine. It is because a few annoying people always do the run but refuse to take a token, meaning they have been beeped in on the stopwatch but ensured the tokens are not allocated in the right order.

Dave T, I had the same worry as you and the solution was indeed to go pretty gently on the first run and see how it went and where I stood against the other runners. The advantage of that approach, besides not killing yourself, it is quite satisfying to wipe a minute off your best pb from one week to the next.

• Like 2

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Anyone doing parkrun Saturday ?

Numbers are growing at East Park (Hull) 500 up to 600 taking park most Saturdays now .

Plus Peter Pan Parkrun (West Hull) Humber Bridge Country Park , Parkrun (East Riding)  great for the area.

1000+ miles for me , never thought i would every do that kind of mileage .

I'm struggling with fitness and health but have struggled on with parkrun - now done 184 and recently attended my 50th different venue at Bushy Park in London, where the original parkrun took place in 2004. There were 1209 runners. Tomorrow I'm at Rother Valley for our 5th birthday.

• Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Will be doing Hilly Fields. I run regularly but do Parkrun every 2/3 weeks.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Hastings again. Fifth time this year, I think.

I’m also doing the Hastings Runners 5M tomorrow. Seemed like a good idea when signing up.

The issue for Hastings park run is that it does totally block the seafront path if not well marshalled and some of the volunteers (and some of the runner to be fair) are better at getting that sorted than others.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

I've just started doing the Woodhouse Moor run in Leeds these past few weeks to try and improve my general unfitness (which is partly due to being a student with 6 hours contact time and pub nearby, but also due to illness!) hoping just to improve and be able to be fit enough for rugby again by September/October. Really enjoyed the runs I've done and found it far more enjoyable than running alone, even if I'm running with total strangers.

• Like 3

On 5/13/2018 at 8:11 PM, stimpo-and-kat said:

Should do park run a lot more than i do. However done white peak trail run today. 

16 miles through derbyshire dales then took dog on a 10 miler so will let myself off

Is that an organised event or just a signposted trail? I do a fair amount of running and love going out into the peaks district but tend not to combine the 2 as I don't like carrying a map and stopping to navigate and there is only so many times you can run on old railway lines!

4 hours ago, glossop saint said:

Is that an organised event or just a signposted trail? I do a fair amount of running and love going out into the peaks district but tend not to combine the 2 as I don't like carrying a map and stopping to navigate and there is only so many times you can run on old railway lines!

It was an organised event. Well signposted and well organised 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, glossop saint said:

Sure you are aware, but there are loads of well-organised, signposted and marshalled trail running races/events across the country, plenty in the Peak District

https://www.sientries.co.uk/     is one source

I tend to walk most of an off-road route before running them, as like yourself I don't want to be navv-ing mid-run

Not done a park run for about 2 years but  still run. The reason was work but I have changed jobs and get more weekends free now so might well do one again. I'm doing the 3 peaks walk in a while too.

• Like 1

I've never really got into Park Runs like some people.I guess 5K is just not my distance.

• Like 1

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

40 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

Sure you are aware, but there are loads of well-organised, signposted and marshalled trail running races/events across the country, plenty in the Peak District

https://www.sientries.co.uk/     is one source

I tend to walk most of an off-road route before running them, as like yourself I don't want to be navv-ing mid-run

Thanks Shaun, I'll have a look and definitely try and get out onto an organised event.

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Not done a park run for about 2 years but  still run. The reason was work but I have changed jobs and get more weekends free now so might well do one again. I'm doing the 3 peaks walk in a while too.

You will love the 3 peaks walk.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

1 hour ago, jacksy said:

You will love the 3 peaks walk.

I've done 2 of them separately but never the whole lot together. Bet I'll regret it afterwards :(

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

I've never really got into Park Runs like some people.I guess 5K is just not my distance.

You find it too easy or what?

6 hours ago, glossop saint said:

Thanks Shaun, I'll have a look and definitely try and get out onto an organised event.

SI Entries don't have everything listed, so also look at 

http://northernrunningguide.com/   (think Peak District qualifies as north)

https://www.timeoutdoors.com/

Some events are quite expensive, but you get the organisation and marshalling, water & jelly babies en route, and maybe a t-shirt or a medal

Edited by shaun mc

41 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

SI Entries don't have everything listed, so also look at 

http://northernrunningguide.com/   (think Peak District qualifies as north)

https://www.timeoutdoors.com/

Some events are quite expensive, but you get the organisation and marshalling, water & jelly babies en route, and maybe a t-shirt or a medal

Also try bookitzone.com

• Like 1

Or try one of the easier fell races if you have the legs. Much cheaper to enter - as low as £4 - and some 'different' prizes. At a fell race last week one of the prizes was a bottle of screenwash!

16 hours ago, Johnoco said:

You find it too easy or what?

No far from it - exactly as Stimpo says, I like to settle in to a run and find my rhythm - I also find it's a big part of the day for a 5k run when I could run from my house and do about 3 times the distance.

That said, I do like doing new venues at least once, just for the crack like!

• Thanks 1

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

5 hours ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

No far from it - exactly as Stimpo says, I like to settle in to a run and find my rhythm - I also find it's a big part of the day for a 5k run when I could run from my house and do about 3 times the distance.

Fair enough. I have enjoyed the ones I've done in Bradford but personally prefer running on the canal, well not *on* it. Due to work patterns, I've never been able to get into it enough to step up and do the longer distances. 7 miles is the longest I've done. Must be a good feeling of personal satisfaction to manage it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

I like to run alone mainly because I also settle and find my own rhythm.

Like many I wear something that records my pace and time. The fastest first kilometre I ever recorded was the first time I did park run. My naturally competitive nature meant I found it very difficult to pace myself at first; I slowed considerably but still posted an improved time than usual. For this reason I still do it now and again.

9 hours ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

I've done a few marathons (and ultras), but still try and do parkrun every week, getting close to the 250 mark. Nice chance to catch up with people, sometimes I run with my wife or kids, sometimes I'll actually race against a friend.

• Like 3