Jump to content

Park Run


Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Sadly, I think for some it wasn't. It was a lot warmer than people were expecting.

Indeed, sad to see the Air Ambulance.

I was a little bit behind those in Bleep's photos, but I certainly found it more pleasant than last year's outing.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Just Browny said:

Indeed, sad to see the Air Ambulance.

Well, if people will have heart attacks.

Thank god, I'd shed my yellow jacket before the folk who'd gone past closed water stations (yes, really) only to get to the end to find that they'd run out of medals (yes, really) had chance to demand I point them to the toilets.

  • Confused 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:09 AM, Just Browny said:

Indeed, sad to see the Air Ambulance.

I was a little bit behind those in Bleep's photos, but I certainly found it more pleasant than last year's outing.

for those unaware, last years 1/2 Marathon was run during, what was called the Beast from the East

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

I completed my 75th parkrun last weekend.  Taken 4 years.  My goal is 100 by end of this year.  In Okehampton this Saturday and nearest runs appear tough country circuits.  I generally run  a fully surfaced non muddy circuit! 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a new parkrun relatively local to me in Penistone, the town plagued by bad sweary filter editing, along with Scunthorpe.

  • Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not so much a changing of the guard as ... I don't know ... wheezing of the old man.

Whilst I actually enjoyed a run for the first time since The Pain and came in at a very respectable 27:05 (slower by far than 'my best' but a steady 5.30 per k (ish) all the way round), Tiny Ginger was bombing ahead to complete in 22:56. Which is frankly obscene.

Nice day on the seafront. Hastings' fourth birthday so we had some local drummers and a record 474 people.

[whimsy]I used to catch the 474 from Bury town centre to my grandparents[/whimsy]

  • Like 3

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rother Valley had a new record for the second week running, 440 beating last week's 426.

I remember 6 years ago when the event first started and we had around 50. I also remember us being concerrned when they asked us to pay for parking (just £1 instead of the usual £5) that this would affect numbers! I'm really pleased that parkrun is helping the park, not only with more than 100 cars every week but also the cafe has long queues at a time when there would be hardly anyone there, especially in winter.

I ran pain-free in an OK 26.20 for the first time in 5 weeks, which is good news and I will be back training properly this week.

  • Like 2

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, tim2 said:

Rother Valley had a new record for the second week running, 440 beating last week's 426.

I remember 6 years ago when the event first started and we had around 50. I also remember us being concerrned when they asked us to pay for parking (just £1 instead of the usual £5) that this would affect numbers! I'm really pleased that parkrun is helping the park, not only with more than 100 cars every week but also the cafe has long queues at a time when there would be hardly anyone there, especially in winter.

I ran pain-free in an OK 26.20 for the first time in 5 weeks, which is good news and I will be back training properly this week.

There’s a very good chance that Hastings park run is getting too big for its current route. The national cycle route and main prom in St Leonards are effectively blocked for an hour or so  every Saturday despite the best efforts of marshals and runners.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There’s a very good chance that Hastings park run is getting too big for its current route. The national cycle route and main prom in St Leonards are effectively blocked for an hour or so  every Saturday despite the best efforts of marshals and runners.

I think parkrun would prefer to have 4 events of 100 rather than 1 of 400. The problems are venues and volunteers. As they have found at Sheffield Hallam (average 700) even the presence of a couple of smaller events in the city doesn't tempt people away from their usual venue, once it's established. Hallam probably wouldn't be allowed now as they run on the public pavement for quite a distance.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, tim2 said:

I think parkrun would prefer to have 4 events of 100 rather than 1 of 400. The problems are venues and volunteers. As they have found at Sheffield Hallam (average 700) even the presence of a couple of smaller events in the city doesn't tempt people away from their usual venue, once it's established. Hallam probably wouldn't be allowed now as they run on the public pavement for quite a distance.

Yes. It would make sense for their to be one in Bexhill at least but all the Bexhill runners seem to enjoy coming to Hastings.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Manchester to Liverpool ultra done on Friday. Horrific weather so finished the 50 miles in around 13hrs 20. Stomach wasn’t right before the start so was diving into toilets where I coulda eventually settled between Warrington and Widnes but way too warm to push on. The tarmac Liverpool loop line path was soul destroying from Speke to Aintree. Would have been better in cooler weather. Day off yesterday and a steady 14 miles on the trails down today to loosen off

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, stimpo-and-kat said:

Manchester to Liverpool ultra done on Friday. Horrific weather so finished the 50 miles in around 13hrs 20. Stomach wasn’t right before the start so was diving into toilets where I coulda eventually settled between Warrington and Widnes but way too warm to push on. The tarmac Liverpool loop line path was soul destroying from Speke to Aintree. Would have been better in cooler weather. Day off yesterday and a steady 14 miles on the trails down today to loosen off

What was the route?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 09:44, gingerjon said:

Yes. It would make sense for their to be one in Bexhill at least but all the Bexhill runners seem to enjoy coming to Hastings.

There.

Just a pity they don't stay and spend some money here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Completed two Parkruns in Northern Ireland while I was over for my annual summer jaunt.

The first was a new one in Strabane that recently featured in a documentary on the BBC with Kelly Holmes. Was interesting to see a new one starting out with about 60/70 attending. Wasn't the best course and was in fact around a High School building; it isn't helped by the lack of a park in Strabane. I 

The second was in Derry and was a lovely route along the river and over the peace bridge. This one is well established and has about 120 regular runners, but in the early days numbers dropped to around 20/30. It must've been pretty demoralising, but in my experience Parkruns tend to see a large drop off before they slowly build to a regular base. Hopefully, Strabane stick with it and end up with an equally established event.

Perhaps the best bit was the free tea and nibbles they put on in Strabane and the slice of cake they gave you as you crossed the line in Derry. You can't beat the Irish for hospitality!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

This one is well established and has about 120 regular runners, but in the early days numbers dropped to around 20/30. It must've been pretty demoralising, but in my experience Parkruns tend to see a large drop off before they slowly build to a regular base.

Nah, I love the fact that I've had a second place finish (and am quite often in the top 10) at my new local (small on numbers) parkrun. At Cambridge, I'd be doing well to be in the top 100 finishers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, JonM said:

Nah, I love the fact that I've had a second place finish (and am quite often in the top 10) at my new local (small on numbers) parkrun. At Cambridge, I'd be doing well to be in the top 100 finishers.

I got a 3rd place earlier this year in Tucson, Arizona. Out of 32.

I think quite a few new parkruns will be smaller. I prefer the small ones, so much more sociable.

I've now done 236 runs, with the ETA for the green t-shirt being December.

  • Like 1

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tim2 said:

I've now done 236 runs, with the ETA for the green t-shirt being December.

ETA for my next t-shirt is autumn 2024, based on my current rate of ~40 runs per year.

Not sure my new parkrun is more sociable. Cambridge has a nice cafe which encourages people to stick around at the end and chat - made quite a lot of friends there. My new one is 3 laps of fields, with no facilities, so nothing to build the social aspect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, JonM said:

ETA for my next t-shirt is autumn 2024, based on my current rate of ~40 runs per year.

Not sure my new parkrun is more sociable. Cambridge has a nice cafe which encourages people to stick around at the end and chat - made quite a lot of friends there. My new one is 3 laps of fields, with no facilities, so nothing to build the social aspect.

Yes, you need the cafe.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, glossop saint said:

New 5k pb today! But I forgot my barcode. So presumably doesn't count. Going to need to up my game again and DON'T FORGET YOUR BARCODE! 

My PB is an 'unknown' too. I took a picture though so I'd remember. 

1650272608_Screenshot_20181013-123623_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.df1e70a0f73351112d7691275510a65c.jpg

Yes, even with my PB I couldn't keep up with an 11 year old.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, glossop saint said:

I've no doubt that he sat on your heels the whole way round and outsprinted you. ?

I tend to go off fast and then hang on, so after the first kilometre I generally get overtook for the last four.

At my last Parkrun in Derry, I overtook a young lad (17-19) who had given up and was walking. I'm not gonna lie, I felt a little smug about it, showing this young buck how it's done. To my not-insignificant annoyance, he overtook me again on the line.

This moment, including my disbelief, was the photo they got of me and then posted on Facebook. If it wasn't tragic it'd be funny.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I tend to go off fast and then hang on, so after the first kilometre I generally get overtook for the last four.

At my last Parkrun in Derry, I overtook a young lad (17-19) who had given up and was walking. I'm not gonna lie, I felt a little smug about it, showing this young buck how it's done. To my not-insignificant annoyance, he overtook me again on the line.

This moment, including my disbelief, was the photo they got of me and then posted on Facebook. If it wasn't tragic it'd be funny.

*rushes off to check the Derry parkrun photo page*

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...