£100,000 investment in Coventry

Great news that the Bears are getting a significant chunk of money behind this project.

Anyone got more details of this Fives version of RL? I assume, given the playing numbers, it isn't played on a full-sized pitch.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Excellent news, was the decision to take the internationals to the Ricoh linked in any way to this funding stream?

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

Always good news to hear about more money coming into the game (well, almost always, being RL fans then we can no doubt find some catch).  As with all the southern expansion clubs there seem to be many people doing great things to spread the word, I'm sure that this will give them a boost in terms finance but hopefully morale as well.

Fantastic news. I like the sound of the Bears players being involved. Engaging local councils definitely seems to be a good way of unlocking Sport England funds.

No we have so many semi-pro outposts outside the heartlands, would be great if other clubs could do similarly.

As much discussed, these clubs have problems attracting players south to be permanently based there. This sort of opportunity could provide employment to semi-pros and thus reason to move. Thus in the short-term you raise the standard of these clubs with a few more northern players, and in the medium to long term they are producing local talent to broaden the player pool. Seems like a pretty good model.

Thai is great to see, and the Besrs look like a great flagship club.

Who knows where this will end up - full time, semi pro, high level amateurs - but there will be more people given the chance to play TGG. And thus the next Sarginson or Clubb or LMS could well have a Midlands accent.

The world is a better place for initiatives of this kind.

(One thing that has pleasantly surprised me is that none of the NL1 clubs has folded yet, which shows extraordinary dedication and I suppose central support.)

The funding is great but I must say I'm not convinced by a 5s version of RL. Also would prefer younger age groups than 14 targeted.

Still anything that helps spread the awareness of TGG is great news. Congratulations on your hard work

Archived