Leigh, London then daylight

Will Mr, Hughes accept promotion? Especially if he has to rent expensive stadia.

URBAN MYTH #267!

The rent at the Stoop was too much!

REALITY

Our Ticketing income for 2012 was 36% higher than the 200k rent. We moved because Hughes employed an idiot who after he realised he was out of his depth, first blamed the name of the club for his failings, before then citing the locality of the stadium as cause for our woes and moving us to an even less accessible stadium and further reducing out income! 

The most shocking aspect of all of this is the level of denial amongst certain pockets of the clubs fans. We have found our level and that is all well and good, but the majority of fans, as in the ones who have left and not returned are of the belief that it could have and should have all been so different, if only our benefactor had heeded the advice given him by the RFL and IL.!

Back on Thread:

London should finish in the top 2 now and will host at least 2 SL sides. This will test the club both on and off the park as anything over 2k ans the trestle table will not cope!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

URBAN MYTH #267!

REALITY

Our Ticketing income for 2012 was 36% higher than the 200k rent. We moved because Hughes employed an idiot who after he realised he was out of his depth, first blamed the name of the club for his failings, before then citing the locality of the stadium as cause for our woes and moving us to an even less accessible stadium and further reducing out income! 

The most shocking aspect of all of this is the level of denial amongst certain pockets of the clubs fans. We have found our level and that is all well and good, but the majority of fans, as in the ones who have left and not returned are of the belief that it could have and should have all been so different, if only our benefactor had heeded the advice given him by the RFL and IL.!

Back on Thread:

London should finish in the top 2 now and will host at least 2 SL sides. This will test the club both on and off the park as anything over 2k ans the trestle table will not cope!

Keep your fingers crossed your not on telly cos if you are the away support wont be as good as you want

Minimum standards were all but dropped under the new structure.

I thought that was the case, what a ridiculous way to run a professional competition. To claim promotion won on the field Clubs should have to meet minimum criteria for the standard of there ground eg: quality of the field, seating areas, toilets, score board, press area, etc. 

URBAN MYTH #267!

REALITY

Back on Thread:

The good news then is that the travelling SL fans will be significantly less than the Bulls following. One disappointing experience for me was the shocking SL away support at LSV during the 8's compared to the followings Leigh and Bradford took to away games

I thought that was the case, what a ridiculous way to run a professional competition. To claim promotion won on the field Clubs should have to meet minimum criteria for the standard of there ground eg: quality of the field, seating areas, toilets, score board, press area, etc. 

The RFL Facilities Standards for 2016 informs everyone that 3,000 capacity and 750 seats are required.

Floodlights 300 lux able to improve to 1200 lux for tv.etc.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

The ground at Ealing isn't a bad place to watch RL in some respects providing the crowd isn't too big (though there's no terracing at all), but there are some definite issues.

1. Toilets. Unless I have missed something, there are only one set in the ground; the gents has two cubicles plus space for a couple of people at the urinal. At the London-Fev Challenge Cup game, which had a tiny crowd, players from both sides were queuing with spectators for quite some time in the lead-up to the game!

2. Access and parking. There's only one access road to the ground, and when I have been each car has to stop to pick up/show tickets etc, with tickets/car park passes being handed out of a car boot. There is some parking on hardstanding inside the ground, but that quickly gets filled with any sort of crowd and the grassy area that is then used might well be unusable in the middle 8s if there has been a wet period (I know because my car nearly got stuck on what hadn't been an especially wet day!).

The good news then is that the travelling SL fans will be significantly less than the Bulls following. One disappointing experience for me was the shocking SL away support at LSV during the 8's compared to the followings Leigh and Bradford took to away games

Atttendances at the middle 8s are always going to be vulnerable to a couple of factors - the first batch of games fall right in the summer holiday season, and some of them are televised. I think Leigh had only two home games against SL teams and both were Saturday afternoon televised games I think?

Do the rules currently say that you need a decent ground?

The way the game has been run in the UK the last 5 years or so with TV rights sold without fully testing the market, Competition sponsorship consisting of painting the sides of trucks! i wouldn't be surprised if there is nothing in the rules about your ground as an entry condition of Super League. As well as winning promotion to Super League on the field,  a club should have to meet standards in regards to sponsorship/funding being in place, Junior Pathways and a Stadium that meets Super league standards!

That said the lack of minimum standards could work in favor of the Londinium Equos

Dispensation can be applied for

For a Club to be eligible for promotion to the Super League or Championship (as applicable) for any Season its ground must meet the Facility Standards of the Super League or Championship (as applicable) or the Board must have granted a dispensation

in accordance with A2:3 above by, in each case, the Friday of Round 23 of Super League/Championship in the previous Season (being 22 July 2016 for the 2017 Season).

For the avoidance of doubt a dispensation may include an extension of time beyond the date above to complete any work necessary to meet the applicable Facility Standards.

Any request for a dispensation by a Club that wishes to be eligible for promotion, together with all evidence on which a Club wishes to rely on in relation to such dispensation, must

have been provided in writing to the RFL by the end of June in the previous Season (subject to any dispensation to the evidence required by this deadline agreed to by the  RFL)

A2:6

Any Championship Club(s) which qualify for the Super 8s Qualifiers but which are not eligible for promotion to the Super League (due to not meeting Facility Standards) shall be entitled to participate in the Super 8s Qualifiers but if, at the end of the Super 8s Qualifiers, any of the Club(s) are 5th or higher in the Qualifiers league:

(a) they shall be deemed to have finished 6th (and 7th if there are 2 such Clubs and 8th if there are 3 such Clubs) for the purpose of determining which Clubs are promoted and/or play in the 4th v 5th Play Off Match;

but

(b )  shall be considered to be the highest placed Championship Club(s) (in order of finishing position) for the purpose of determining distributions in the Championship for the following Season.

Check out upcoming international fixtures and highlights of past matches at http://rlfixtures.weebly.com

St Albans Centurions International Liaison Officer and former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

Crystal clear then

Absolutely, so eligible this year if you asked for the dispensation this time last year. So if Sheffield only secured their ground after that date they probably don't have dispensation, unless their dispensation is already applied for on basis of ground that is being built. Anyone know if they applied?

London knew their ground early, so did they have the foresight to apply for a dispensation to ensure this year was sorted? Quite what Broncos would have actually said to get a dispensation is another matter.

However the qualifying 8s is so lop sided I doubt it matters if you have a large bowl shaped ground, a modern stadium or a ground with alleged potential.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.

URBAN MYTH #267!

REALITY

Back on Thread:

Crowds and atmosphere had been declining at the Stoop before the renaming to Broncos (something they should never have dropped).

The local area in Twickenham had no interest in RL. It was all Quins RU

The main reason Quins RU were happy for the Quins RL thing, was to offset the fact they had been relegated and there was a small risk they might not go straight back up

1. Crowds and atmosphere had been declining at the Stoop before the renaming to Broncos (something they should never have dropped).

2. The local area in Twickenham had no interest in RL. It was all Quins RU

3. The main reason Quins RU were happy for the Quins RL thing, was to offset the fact they had been relegated and there was a small risk they might not go straight back up

1. Best supported era in the clubs history was the years as quins RL. This is an unquestionable fact supported by attendance's.....even after removing the 12k double header.

2. Harlequins is no more a union hotbed than Wembley is a soccer one. Quins fans come from the city and live in surrey.....the fact that we never marketed to the locals would point to why they didn't embrace us.

3. Quins wanted us to work. 200k is less than they take on the gate for 1 game now.....we failed because of Hughes.

Interested to hear your thoughts on our current union landlord?

Interested to hear your thoughts on our current union landlord?

Just for you "Trailfinder" - My emoticon

That being said, 3k in the Trailfinders would be a miles better atmos than 3k at Quins (or Brentford) :O

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

URBAN MYTH #267!

REALITY

Back on Thread:

I think Ealing Trailfinders got about 2,200 to a match recently. Don't get rid of the lucky trestle table.

Just for you "Trailfinder" - My emoticon

I remember griffin park rocking a number of times.....putting Widnes and wakey to the sword and draws with hull and Leeds......not forgetting hammering saints midweek.,..griffin park was perfect fornus and the only ground where we grew crowds

I remember griffin park rocking a number of times.....putting Widnes and wakey to the sword and draws with hull and Leeds......not forgetting hammering saints midweek.,..griffin park was perfect fornus and the only ground where we grew crowds

It would be nice to play some bigger games at Griffin Park if possible. Dont see an issue splitting games between West and South Ealing

It would be nice to play some bigger games at Griffin Park if possible.

It's not going to be there much longer, is it? The final compulsory purchase order for the Lionel Road site went through last month, they have the planning permission & funding to build the new stadium at Kew Bridge and houses on Griffin Park.

It's not going to be there much longer, is it? The final compulsory purchase order for the Lionel Road site went through last month, they have the planning permission & funding to build the new stadium at Kew Bridge and houses on Griffin Park.

Indeed. They intend to be at Lionel Road for the start of the 2017/18 season. Not sure what the arrangement is at the new place and if London Welsh are still sniffing about, but until we get back into SL, Trailfinders will suffice (even if it'll be a bit of a struggle once we get more than 2K in)

I think Ealing Trailfinders got about 2,200 to a match recently. Don't get rid of the lucky trestle table.

The 2k gate was for a promotion decider when they stepped up in 2015 and it was chaotic to say the least. They've just survived this year with their highest gate not breaking 900....first time London Broncos have outdrawn their landlords that I can recall.  

Indeed. They intend to be at Lionel Road for the start of the 2017/18 season. Not sure what the arrangement is at the new place and if London Welsh are still sniffing about, but until we get back into SL, Trailfinders will suffice (even if it'll be a bit of a struggle once we get more than 2K in)

The 2k gate was for a promotion decider when they stepped up in 2015 and it was chaotic to say the least. They've just survived this year with their highest gate not breaking 900....first time London Broncos have outdrawn their landlords that I can recall.

It is strange that because I took my son to the last home match of the season when Brentford beat Fulham 3-0 and there was no mention of a move next season during the match.

I think Trailfinders can cope with the away support from a couple of lower placed Super League teams actually.

It is strange that because I took my son to the last home match of the season when Brentford beat Fulham 3-0 and there was no mention of a move next season during the match.

It's not going to be next season. The final compulsory purchase of the land went through last month. They're not going to build a stadium and hundreds of houses in 3 months. I think they're hoping next season will be the last though, which means Griffin Park might not be an option for London's 2017 superleague season :tongue:

1. It is strange that because I took my son to the last home match of the season when Brentford beat Fulham 3-0 and there was no mention of a move next season during the match.

2. I think Trailfinders can cope with the away support from a couple of lower placed Super League teams actually.

1. Next football season is the 2016/17 season. Re-read what I posted.....

2. Never underestimate the draw of a "new ground". I know plenty of fans who like to visit new stadiums when clubs move/start up and Trailfinders is no different. As for away fans.....relying on their numbers is an all too familiar "tactic" at London. We should be looking to fill the place with "home" fans IMHO.

It's not going to be next season. The final compulsory purchase of the land went through last month. They're not going to build a stadium and hundreds of houses in 3 months. I think they're hoping next season will be the last though, which means Griffin Park might not be an option for London's 2017 superleague season :tongue:

New Road and Brook Road seating/terracing could be moved to Trailfinders.......?

Archived