Wigan in push to sell their allocation of RL Cup SF tickets.....

for this to be a Friday it really should have been at Leeds to try and minimise travel times.

Personal preference for me would have been Huddersfield

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

That's a bit strong, Parksider hasn't commented on this thread!

For a semi final, I would expect to see a full house, particularly on terrestrial TV. Sick of seeing an empty stand as the first vision. Surely organisers think of this? They know the issues for peak time travel across the Pennines, they know the speed of train links and distance to the grounds.

Maybe this is the perception of the CC these days.

Maybe it is just as well for Wigan fans.

What is your last point?

Wigan fans are brilliant - we demonstrably attend ganes everywhere in as big numbers as any club in the league. Many are very angry that they simply won't be able to get behind our team. If they had played the game at Leigh, the thread would have been just the same but with the names reversed.

What is your last point?

Wigan fans are brilliant - we demonstrably attend ganes everywhere in as big numbers as any club in the league. Many are very angry that they simply won't be able to get behind our team. If they had played the game at Leigh, the thread would have been just the same but with the names reversed.

I doubt that mate, tbh. There would have been consternation that the game was being played 7 miles from Wigan would have been the major talking point, although Wigan played their RL Cup SF there in 2013 and only 6.5K turned up, London not bringing too many obviously.

Although it's nice that a RL club from Hull has the better travelling arrangements for a change, it's not as though Doncaster's in a different country to Wigan. 

We played our SF against Wire in 2013 at Huddersfield, 73 miles away, Wigan's journey to Donny is only 8 miles further. Granted we played on a weekend but not that many will have travelled on train, the only method of transport with time restrictions.

RL fans from Hull will travel further and in greater numbers pro rata than just about every other RL club because we have to, we're used to it, and we don't get to as many SF matches as clubs like Wigan these days.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

For a semi final, I would expect to see a full house, particularly on terrestrial TV. Sick of seeing an empty stand as the first vision. Surely organisers think of this? They know the issues for peak time travel across the Pennines, they know the speed of train links and distance to the grounds.

Maybe this is the perception of the CC these days.

Maybe it is just as well for Wigan fans.

In my experience, attendances for games shown on free-to-air TV are significantly lower than equivalent fixtures on pay tv or not on tv at all.

Please rest assured that lots of Wigan fans will be watching, but without suffering the experience of being in Yorkshire.

Sorry Gents. Was it something I wrote?

Yes, I know it upsets people when they see the beauty of Yorkshire and have to return back to their own location, but there are plenty of images of Doncaster, freely available on the Web, to remind loyal fans of their trip.

Let's be honest Wigans fans are just a miserable lot...there is a decent nucleus who travel away to SL games but beyond that 500 the rest are spoilt by success and do not feel a hunger to be there at the big games..add to that Friday night on the M62 and you had the certainty of a miserable following from Wigan. Let's just say it again...this is a cup semi final and watch the numbers grow for the final if they get there.

Just give credit for the turnout of Hull and Rovers fans in Lancashire on a Friday night throughout the season regardless of a nightmare journey....thats dedicated support without years of success.

Let's hope the ground looks full and Hull get all they deserve!

And as for Hull getting no reward for being top after 23 games they did play Rovers in the extra game which spoils any fairness in a 22 game home and away season. OF just mimic that clown John M ...it's not fair.

Wigan fans demonstrably travel in numbers. And attend home games in huge numbers.

Many Wigan fans will find it very difficult to watch this particular match at this particular time.

We are not a miserable lot - we are lovely, and follow our game and our team. Indeed, if you want to sell out an England game, Wigan is always a good bet.

FC have fine fans, as well of course. This is not a thread about those and no one is suggesting they are not fine spectators who won't attend in big numbers. They may indeed be better fans than Wigan fans. It is possible for Wigan fans to be good and fans of both Hull teams to be great.

Of course, we all know why Hull fans like to travel to Wigan. Like those people who have the noses pressed up against the window at Harvey Nick's, to see how the smart people live, for the climate, too, and for the beer.

The fact remains, people don't turn out in numbers for free to air game. Never have, never will

Your point is?

2 hours travel on a Friday night is a doddle......and to see a semi final game live featuring my team.....no question to answer.

There have been large gates on free to air....Warrington semi last yr for example.

Hull fans do not travel in big numbers on a Friday night exclusively to Wigan....add Warr Salford Saints Widnes.

The point stands, Wigan fans are spoilt brats.

Your point is?

2 hours travel on a Friday night is a doddle......and to see a semi final game live featuring my team.....no question to answer.

There have been large gates on free to air....Warrington semi last yr for example.

Hull fans do not travel in big numbers on a Friday night exclusively to Wigan....add Warr Salford Saints Widnes.

The point stands, Wigan fans are spoilt brats.

Aye that 11.1k for the Challenge Cup semi at HJ on Friday was massive.

Was 2k higher the next day for two clubs who have lower support, so the Friday travel thing is not to be ignored. The travel times were closer last year too.

Of course, we all know why Hull fans like to travel to Wigan. Like those people who have the noses pressed up against the window at Harvey Nick's, to see how the smart people live, for the climate, too, and for the beer.

The fact remains, people don't turn out in numbers for free to air game. Never have, never will

Agreed John, but I think a weekend arrangement would have been better, given the obvious travel problems Friday night.

If the Cas stadium ever gets off the ground it could become a major consideration due to ease of access via road.

Wigan fans demonstrably travel in numbers. And attend home games in huge numbers.

Many Wigan fans will find it very difficult to watch this particular match at this particular time.

We are not a miserable lot - we are lovely, and follow our game and our team. Indeed, if you want to sell out an England game, Wigan is always a good bet.

FC have fine fans, as well of course. This is not a thread about those and no one is suggesting they are not fine spectators who won't attend in big numbers. They may indeed be better fans than Wigan fans. It is possible for Wigan fans to be good and fans of both Hull teams to be great.

I have never had a problem with Wigan fans, Teams or they're support.

To be honest Friday night is a hassle for most people and I cant say I blame Wigan fans not able to get across. You cant even get a train back to Hull without missing the end of the game or managing a 2 mile sprint to the station. I have had to take half a day off to get a bus from Hull at 4. I am not sure how many tickets Hull or Wigan have sold but I do know in my office half the people are off on holidays so you have to account for the first weeks of kids hols knocking the attendance down also.

What I did learn though from the twitter/Facebook postings by Sheff Wed fans about the "embarrassing" number of Hull City fans who traveled to Wembley for the play off final is having the most fans guarantees you nothing.

Personal preference for me would have been Huddersfield

I expected the game to be at Huddersfield if Hull drew either Wigan or Warrington. I thought Doncaster was a certainty if it had been Hull v Wakefield.

I don't think the venue is a massive issue but Friday night rather than a weekend afternoon is a poor choice. I'm sure the Highways Agency will be getting the traffic cones ready as we speak.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Can take over an hour just to get over Myton Bridge from East Hull area . Thats with out any problems on the local road net work .

What on Earth happens to the traffic in Hull on a Friday afternoon? The place just locks up. It's as if everybody who owns any kind of vehicle takes to the road.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

What on Earth happens to the traffic in Hull on a Friday afternoon? The place just locks up. It's as if everybody who owns any kind of vehicle takes to the road.

I think they both do.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

Archived