Retained ... Released .... Recruited... Rumour and opinion!

the old nine ole

Hemingway has re signed spoke to him lastnight

Wooo let's all get excited

(champagne corks pop)

(party poppers explode)

(those curly things with feathers on stand to attention with excitement..the ones you blow)

This thread could end up in the gutter fast ;)

If next season was a carry on film

Would it be called carry on regardless or carry on again & again & again ;)

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have to say I would rather had Conroy - our best hooker last season - and Delaney than Hemingway. It seemed it was only at the back end of the season that he looked bothered. His defence is lightweight and the opposition target him. Let's hope he plays to his best next season.

In my opinion Hemingway was not worth a new deal does not offer much at all.

Plus looked like he looked for a better deal, surely the money which we were offering him could we have béen better retaing Conroy or J Delaney who are much better players.

I'd like to know what happened to that halfback who tore us apart wearing a dogs shirt a few years ago when Finn and Bostock were still playing for us. Can't remember his name - Hemmingbottom or something like that it was. Had tremendous pace and took the line on - we could do with him.  ;)

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

See that Hunslet have signed Thornhill's Joel Gibson, son of Carl, promising potential, we are missing out on quality local players from our area.Are we getting people from the club to our local amateur clubs watching Shaw Cross,Moor and Thornhill ?

I think we tried him in preseason last year, and he is quick!

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

See that Hunslet have signed Thornhill's Joel Gibson, son of Carl, promising potential, we are missing out on quality local players from our area.Are we getting people from the club to our local amateur clubs watching Shaw Cross,Moor and Thornhill ?

If he was good enough for the Championship, he wouldn't be signing for Hunslet.

What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?

In my opinion Hemingway was not worth a new deal does not offer much at all.

Plus looked like he looked for a better deal, surely the money which we were offering him could we have béen better retaing Conroy or J Delaney who are much better players.

Conroy or Hemingway?

No brainer. We've lost the obvious choice. Are we surprised though?

Conroy or Hemingway?

No brainer. We've lost the obvious choice. Are we surprised though?

I must admit that I could never understand why Conroy fell from favour last season. Admittedly he had a poor start, as did many others, but he did pick up considerably towards the end of the season, when he got the chance, but it was plain that he wouldn't be with us this year. One weakness that he has shared with all of our hookers over the last two or three years is poor tackling ability and poor marking around the ptb. This is one of the key weaknesses of converting half backs to hookers.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

He's a good full back, but nowhere near as good as Guzdek so why would we sign him?

IMO looking at amateur players isn't the answer, unless there's a standout player that will play week in week out.

He's a good full back, but nowhere near as good as Guzdek so why would we sign him?

IMO looking at amateur players isn't the answer, unless there's a standout player that will play week in week out.

Do we still have Will Forsyth as deputy full back?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

I'd like to know what happened to that halfback who tore us apart wearing a dogs shirt a few years ago when Finn and Bostock were still playing for us. Can't remember his name - Hemmingbottom or something like that it was. Had tremendous pace and took the line on - we could do with him.  ;)

'Hemmingbottom' had quite a few decent games at halfback for the 'Dogs - but unfortunately was not consistent. Like Leatherbarrow in that respect. Still, I'm surprised he hasn't been tried at 6 or 7 for you, if you're so desperate in that position - unless you're short of hookers.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

The thing is does anyone really know .... so many unknown quantities!!  

One way to look at it is to consider if you've adequately replaced your better players who left.

With my limited observations of your lot, four players who seemed better than average (bordering on quite good upon occasion) were Grant, Groat, Farrell and Grady. Unless he's deteriorated at Halifax, I think Gareth Potts will do well for you on the wing (or FB if young Guzdek is unavailable). Have you replaced the other three with equivalent (or better) quality?

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

One way to look at it is to consider if you've adequately replaced your better players who left.

With my limited observations of your lot, four players who seemed better than average (bordering on quite good upon occasion) were Grant, Groat, Farrell and Grady. Unless he's deteriorated at Halifax, I think Gareth Potts will do well for you on the wing (or FB if young Guzdek is unavailable). Have you replaced the other three with equivalent (or better) quality?

As I said unknown quantities!!  ... But i also know in Walshaw we have signed real quality!!  ... forget what he did or didn't do at Bradford ... when he pulls the Dewsbury shirt on he performs!!  Excellent at centre ( very much like Grady ) ... and outstanding at second row!!  

I can't believe how much air time Hemingway is getting in this forum.

Average player at best and should really be a bit part player not our starting nine.

OK, what would you like us to talk about MR?

The weather maybe?

Isn't it mild for this time of year?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

As I said unknown quantities!!  ... But i also know in Walshaw we have signed real quality!!  ... forget what he did or didn't do at Bradford ... when he pulls the Dewsbury shirt on he performs!!  Excellent at centre ( very much like Grady ) ... and outstanding at second row!!  

Walshaw is a cracking player and will be  a major boost for us but he aint a centre..hes a big lad that GM has been playing at centre.  If we play him there then just as we have seen recently our wingers might need a good book.

Poor old Dalton spent most of the time with his hand in the air calling for the ball ....we need Sykes and Crookes at centre with Lucas only moving there when these two are unavailable...

Mind you, you could say the same for Ryan Hall on Saturday. Best finisher in the game I reckon but nobody told Sarginson....   

Walshaw is a cracking player and will be  a major boost for us but he aint a centre..hes a big lad that GM has been playing at centre.  If we play him there then just as we have seen recently our wingers might need a good book.

Poor old Dalton spent most of the time with his hand in the air calling for the ball ....we need Sykes and Crookes at centre with Lucas only moving there when these two are unavailable...

Mind you, you could say the same for Ryan Hall on Saturday. Best finisher in the game I reckon but nobody told Sarginson....   

Agreed - not a centre, but a real prospect at second row - mind you they used to say that about Keith senior.  ;)

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

OK, what would you like us to talk about MR?

The weather maybe?

Isn't it mild for this time of year?

It is mild. A bit like our squad situation.

I am actually bemused that so think we aren't relegation contenders but think Hemingway is our first choice hooker?!

He's been at Dewsbury, he's been at Batley, his next move should be Hunslet - I'll drive him there.

Grady was always going to move on - he was tempted for the last two seasons, and we didn't see all that much of him last year. Crookes is popular with many fans (although not this one) but can't be faulted for effort. Sykes is quality on his day, but it isn't always a Sunday.

Groat came with quite a fanfare and started off well but was ultimately a big disappointment. Stringer is much better in the short-term and Keegan Hirst might do a job.  ;)

Grant is a good finisher, but when a winger has had a broken leg there will always be a question mark. As others have said decent wingers are only any good if they get good service.

Many fans were wanting Farrell to be dropped as he became a liability. I expect that one day he will become a good player but it might take exceptional coaching to bring it out. Remember two other clubs had let him go before he came to us.

Overall I don't think we are stronger than last season, although I don't really know what our new recruits will produce. Half back continues to be a major worry and I don't know what the options will be there.

It is mild. A bit like our squad situation.

I am actually bemused that so think we aren't relegation contenders but think Hemingway is our first choice hooker?!

He's been at Dewsbury, he's been at Batley, his next move should be Hunslet - I'll drive him there.

Who say that he is the first choice? Bench spot at best in my estimation.

Archived