ex and current dewsbury players

ramsfandan

He would have been a SL centre or second row if he had any pace, it used to be comical at times when he broke through from half way then turn inside to find someone else to beat, but prop has been his best position. What baffles me though is none of the coaches have thought about moving him out wide when attacking near the line, because that is where he is unstoppable. Since moving to prop, however, he has picked up a bad injury every year, mainly unrelated though. Definitely a player to keep but you do need adequate cover for him.

Ive thought about that many a time especialy when I think back to the 83 final when in a meant targetted play they moved David Hobbs to the wing to smash through the weak tackler Steve Evans to score a vital try.

Dewsbury might have a Pott to break next season! Just hope Fev have one to ###### in next season :ph34r:

Owning our own stadium and a nice bit of land is a nice start .not to mention 16000 coming in for our last 3 home games ,and a top 4 money pot ,not a bad position i reckon.

Owning our own stadium and a nice bit of land is a nice start .not to mention 16000 coming in for our last 3 home games ,and a top 4 money pot ,not a bad position i reckon.

Just don't squander it on rubbish players from Dewsbury then :lol:

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

Just a thought but if Dewabury and Batley merged they would equal our average home attendance.

...and double your average intelligence.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Play nice. Its nearly time for woolworths stationery sets and new rubber pumps squeaking into assembly!

'Shaw cross juniors, Birkenshaw, Mirfield, Heckmondwike Panthers, Stainland Stags and then the Heavy woolen donkeys... WARDY, STOZZA, GT, KARL OR KEAR MUST OF DROPPED A DIGIT FROM MY MOBILE NUMBER! :clapping:

Yes, but apart from Liam Finn, Andy Bostock, James Lockwood, Anthony England, Anthony Thackeray, Matt Wildie, Bryn Powell, Eddie Rombo what have Dewsbury ever done for us?

And of course the most important of all:- Steve Hankins. 

"Romanes eunt domus"!!

What baffles me though is none of the coaches have thought about moving him out wide when attacking near the line, because that is where he is unstoppable.

Agreed. Me and my mate seem to discuss that option every week. Along with other really diffcult stuff like a kick and chase early in the tackle count when the full back is in the line. These things don't seem to happen any more though - probably because of the risk of upsetting the coach - they don't like incomplete sets do they !...

Agreed. Me and my mate seem to discuss that option every week. Along with other really diffcult stuff like a kick and chase early in the tackle count when the full back is in the line. These things don't seem to happen any more though - probably because of the risk of upsetting the coach - they don't like incomplete sets do they !...

I agree with this! The surprise has been taken out of the game. Batley scored a fantastic try against Huddersfield by employing the early kick on the first tackle. Unfortunately they had nothing to lose as they had already conceded 58 points!

We tried a kick and chase from a scrum on our own 20 in the Leigh away game and if it hadn't gone into touch for a 40-20 it would probably have resulted in a try. We used to use this move with Chris Bibb didn't we?

We tried a kick and chase from a scrum on our own 20 in the Leigh away game and if it hadn't gone into touch for a 40-20 it would probably have resulted in a try. We used to use this move with Chris Bibb didn't we?

Yeah Steadman used to kick for Bibb to run on to and from memory it worked every time (but probably didn't !) Of course you need a good kicker and someone very quick. Maybe try it for Craven to chase ? We certainly don't seem to have utilised him well enough up to now. The way I see it is that the worst scenario is likely to be giving the ball away but in a much better field position ??

Yeah Steadman used to kick for Bibb to run on to and from memory it worked every time (but probably didn't !) Of course you need a good kicker and someone very quick. Maybe try it for Craven to chase ? We certainly don't seem to have utilised him well enough up to now. The way I see it is that the worst scenario is likely to be giving the ball away but in a much better field position ??

I don't think you can kick the modern ball as far, it is lighter and designed for passing? Unlike the RU ball that is slightly heavier. That's why you don't see 60 metre penalty goals in the modern RL game.

we used this move with Owen Simpson a good few times,he was down field as fast as ball or it seemed that way

Ive thought about that many a time especialy when I think back to the 83 final when in a meant targetted play they moved David Hobbs to the wing to smash through the weak tackler Steve Evans to score a vital try.

If you mean his second try he was running wide in a left centre channel in the classic 2nd row position. He beat Keith Bridges a 5ft 9 bald headed hooker not Steve Evans a 6ft 2 with wavy brown haired centre with a moustache.

Both tries were vital. The first being an outside burst from short range on a dummy scissors penalty move with the would be tackler being Paul Prendiville.

If you mean his second try he was running wide in a left centre channel in the classic 2nd row position. He beat Keith Bridges a 5ft 9 bald headed hooker not Steve Evans a 6ft 2 with wavy brown haired centre with a moustache.

Both tries were vital. The first being an outside burst from short range on a dummy scissors penalty move with the would be tackler being Paul Prendiville.

I thought it was the first try Mick Gibbins told me it was a planned move any way that said it was a big bustling forward on the wing.By the way did you go on the same bus as me to wembley that being the ponty bus run by mrs Thorpe??

The missed tackle was by James Leuluai on Hobbs' first try, but the interesting thing is that there appeared to be a big stroke of good fortune that helped with that try. As Hudson lined up to take the tap, Hobbs moved from Hudson's left towards the touchline. This would have looked an obvious giveaway that he would be getting the ball, except just as he went there, the ball was kicked back onto the field of play (after Quinn had found touch) right where Hobbs had just gone, so it must have looked as if he had just gone to retrieve the ball...and the rest is history.

Archived