My Huddersfield experience

Is that true of the people that go to twickers for the varsity game or the army v navy game?

I think it is. But you also know what you are going for. I am sure that a lot of the folk that go to those games have a vested interest in the game, but realise it's unlikely to be the highest class of game. But here's the twist - the ALSO enjoy going to Twickenham. FWIW is there much pre/mid/post-match for those games?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So who do I write too ? Getting in touch with the RFL about positive views seems to me impossible never mind negative ones!

Until we have someone who feels passionate enough about our game to think of the most basic levels of professional planning this will keep on happening.

Well, you at least feel passionate about our game, so that's a start. Dont fall into the forum norm of complaining to the powerless. Complain to the responsible authority.

a few clicks and I found this: http://www.rugby-league.com/the_rfl/about_the_rfl/customer_charter

3/4 of the way down I found this.

POST - Customer Services, RFL, Red Hall, Red Hall Lane, Leeds, LS17 8NB

PHONE - 0844 477 7113

E-MAIL - info@rfl.uk.com

WEBSITE - www.rugby-league.com

We will try to respond to any letter, fax or e-mail within 7 working days of receipt of such communication. If it is not possible to provide a full response to the issue raised within that time, an acknowledgement will be sent and a detailed reply will following within 28 working days of the original communication.

We will attempt to resolve all justifiable complaints within 28 working days. If, however, this cannot be done, we promise to keep the complainant updated on the progress of the complaint.

Well, you at least feel passionate about our game, so that's a start. Dont fall into the forum norm of complaining to the powerless. Complain to the responsible authority.

a few clicks and I found this: http://www.rugby-league.com/the_rfl/about_the_rfl/customer_charter

PHONE - 0844 477 7113

E-MAIL - info@rfl.uk.com

We will try to respond to any letter, fax or e-mail within 7 working days of receipt of such communication. If it is not possible to provide a full response to the issue raised within that time, an acknowledgement will be sent and a detailed reply will following within 28 working days of the original communication.

We will attempt to resolve all justifiable complaints within 28 working days. If, however, this cannot be done, we promise to keep the complainant updated on the progress of the complaint.

Great thanks for this , i will do this today and update on here

The OP is spot on.

Its 2016 and paying customers expect the service to be flawless.

Someone mentioned the NFL game at Wembley and how that is sold out the minute the tickets go on sale it's not rocket science just copy what they do there.

It will be interesting to see how the Ricoh fares this week.

Wasps have created an event culture in the short time they have been in Coventry so they know how to do it.

They are attracting families who prior to the arrival of the Wasps certainly never went to watch Coventry RFC

If the standard falls short again this week I guarantee it will be caused by penny pinching by the RFL. It will not be by the hosts, Wasps are keen to make a good impression in order to get more games at the Ricoh.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

I took my girlfriend to the game, she's not into Rugby was was expecting to find it dull - she loved it

We went into the ground when it opened at 1pm, all the local pubs had massive queues so we go our drinks in the ground

We found the whole day to be fantastic, a free flag on our seat, something was happening on the pitch all the time up until kick off

I think most people thought the kick a goal £5000 was a good prize

All in all a great day out, I have done corporate lots of times and I really do think you miss out on being part of the atmosphere

I think it is. But you also know what you are going for. I am sure that a lot of the folk that go to those games have a vested interest in the game, but realise it's unlikely to be the highest class of game. But here's the twist - the ALSO enjoy going to Twickenham. FWIW is there much pre/mid/post-match for those games?

It's all about getting drunk.The rugby is wallpaper.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

I pay a small bit extra to park next to Canberra stadium. When I leave they have stewards on the road controlling traffic so I can get out of the precinct within a couple of minutes after starting the engine. Others can be stuck for up to 30 minutes.

Depending on the road layout these things can be done.

If he had a problem with the hospitality ,he should complain to the company providing it. I don t think it is the RFL s fault. And parking right next to the ground is a mistake anyway. He could have walked to the Town centre in 15 minutes. If he , or his hosts, wants to waste money, that s up to them. I wasn't sneering at him at all .It s nothing to do with 'class warrior stuff'!

I went to both the international and the NFL game at the weekend and it was impossible not to make direct comparisons even though the two things are not operating in any similar sphere other than being sporting events.

I'm a League fan through and through and a casual fan of the NFL, so there was only one winner as far as the actual game was concerned even though the American Football game was a dramatic 27-27 tie which went into overtime. Its big moments are only sporadic and are spread across three hours, but barely a moment surrounding the game is wasted.

Stoppages were filled by on-screen interviews, cheerleader routines, crowd interaction, giveaways, music - anything to stop people thinking there's nothing going on.

The choreographed Armistice Day tribute was light years ahead of the dance routine put on at Huddersfield and the red, white and blue mosaic formed by people holding up NFL-branded bags in which to put any merchandise you might be tempted to buy was seriously impressive.

My ticket was only £32 and I felt it was worth every penny.

The RFL obviously hasn't got the resources to throw at every occasion but what it has to do is get as much right as possible in get the floating voters to come back.

I'll agree the food franchises at the stadium are pish poor - but that's outside the RFL hands unfortunately, the food outlets at Wembley and OT are bloody awful too to be fair

The best ones I've seen were Cardiff

I paid £25 to watch a test match

What more can I ask for? Would it sell out at a higher price point?

Outside the ground is down to the police, not the council, rfl, stadium management but the police - complain to them about traffic management (as it happens the soccer club played Sheffield Wednesday to a nearly full house a few weeks ago and the traffic was blocked up for 2 hours so same problem there too - total lack of policing)

I'll agree the food franchises at the stadium are pish poor - but that's outside the RFL hands unfortunately, the food outlets at Wembley and OT are bloody awful too to be fair

Outside the ground is down to the police, not the council, rfl, stadium management but the police - complain to them about traffic management (as it happens the soccer club played Sheffield Wednesday to a nearly full house a few weeks ago and the traffic was blocked up for 2 hours so same problem there too - total lack of policing)

i think the point about the £25 for a test match is valid but part of the problem. It does the job for existi g fans. It is the other stuff around tge match that can help to attract new fans. The new fan I took to OP last year hasnt asked about going to any of the tests this year, yet these events should be so good that we get repeat customers plus them dragging along their pals and family.

We have fallen way behind in creating must-see events.

You can market 250k better than 5 k and the odds are much higher, it would be a sponsor ( Ladbrooks) putting up the cash; did many look at the 5 k kick ? I bet alot more would watch the 250 k kick.

And if anyone kicked the 250 k kick it would generate serious interest .

We need world class events not Micky mouse stuff, its not difficult is it

In principle it's not difficult (anyone can just say "give away better stuff")-  but like I say if you know who has quarter of a million to give away at half time then get them on to the RFL as a quarter of a million is probably more than what Ladbrooks are currently paying to sponsor the tournament. That was a one-off event in RU - I'm sure there are plenty of half times that pass without incident at Six Nation games too. Like I say 5k isn't to be sniffed at. Perhaps now the guy from Warrington is a bit more involved with the RFL things will change - didn't they have a competition to win flights round the world with Emirates at some wire games at HT?  Granted probably not a trip to the moon that you can win at half time at a Wasps academy game, but still. ;)

SQL Honours

Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

PHONE - 0844 477 7113

E-MAIL - info@rfl.uk.com

I have sent the email and will see what happens, but i now remember I sent a very positive email to the same address 6 weeks ago telling them about a film I have written about RL and asked to come and see them to talk about it , i got no reply from the mail or ringing them up . Dont think people coming knocking on their door every day with positive films about RL .

"Michael Burgess: Take note Australasia - this is how you host a league game" Headline from the NZHerald.

Just shows you about eye and beholder.

URL http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11739093

it was a strange article tbh as the only real difference in staging tests he highlights was not playing too much music.

The rest was about the atmosphere the fans created.

Having been to the 2008 WC Final in Brisbane, it was a truly wonderful experience.

I've been following this thread for a couple of days and I too am disappointed at some of the almost sneering at the OP.

As others have said, like it or not corporate hospitality can make the sport big money and in general RL, just seem to look down at it and then have threads complaining about "the establishment" supporting the other code.

Those big blue chip companies don't spend money in a sport for charitable purposes, they want to impress/soften up clients, they want to network or reward employees\customers with an experience. If they could do that at a Tiddlywinks game they would, which is why it is so disappointing we get often get it wrong. I am willing to bet a lot of those paying large sums haven't a clue what is happening on the pitch but the perception is RU is better.

Ask why Sale Sharks have sold out their corporate seats so far this season, in a stadium further from their spiritual base and with the same'perceived' traffic problems as Salford Reds, yet we all know that RL is the better sport to watch and for the occasional visitor an easier sport to understand. To make yourself really sad, look at the price they are paying for it!

Corporate is something we need to do much better, to generate that money and the big sponsors that follow which gives us better teams for the rest of us to enjoy in the cheap seats.

On the hospitality point I am looking at it for Magic Weekend. I went to the ticketing site where there were no details and i had to email somebody. Fair play they were quick to respond with an excel spreadsheet order form and details.

Firstly - why, if they have the details are they not publicly on offer?

Secondly, if they think i am going to fill in the unsecure excel spreadsheet and send it back (with all my card details) using my hotmail account then they really are stupid.

It all just seems so amateur.

Unfortunately the Police charge for providing traffic management. The RFL are responsible for the choice of venue...all aspects...the Stadium Car Park is responsible for closing down the approach road when full and the Council for licencing a venue with inadequate parking and traffic management. Kirklees Council serve the people so it is their duty to provide a service, not recruit a team of Wardens to book all and sundry after kick off. These civil servants could have been used to help people park before the game and then book or remove vehicles causing an obstruction.

Unfortunately the Police charge for providing traffic management. The RFL are responsible for the choice of venue...all aspects...the Stadium Car Park is responsible for closing down the approach road when full and the Council for licencing a venue with inadequate parking and traffic management. Kirklees Council serve the people so it is their duty to provide a service, not recruit a team of Wardens to book all and sundry after kick off. These civil servants could have been used to help people park before the game and then book or remove vehicles causing an obstruction.

You are correct! The police will provide traffic management if the organisers pay for it, which it appears the RFL did not do.

It is neither the police nor the council's job to provide traffic management for a one off commercial activity at a privately owned stadium, nor should it be!

You are correct! The police will provide traffic management if the organisers pay for it, which it appears the RFL did not do.

It is neither the police nor the council's job to provide traffic management for a one off commercial activity at a privately owned stadium, nor should it be!

Didn't this all change recently when the high Court confirmed the police are responsible for public order and traffic management away from football grounds- and the police had to repay football clubs millions in charges

Edit

Yes!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-21699007

So the job is that of the police and they are skint

I have to agree with the OP about the set up of the event as a whole. There were a group of 12 that I went with, 6 of which aren't die hard rugby fans and went for the occasion.

Can't really comment on the pre-match, there was the obligatory rendition of Jerusalem, then the anthems and that's all we managed to see.

As soon as the Haka finished they 'nipped' to the bar for some drinks, 26 minutes of the first half had gone before they returned to their seats. This left them all ###### off, none of them wanted to risk going for anymore drinks when they ran out in case they missed anymore of the action. And it put the rest of us off from going because of what the others had missed.

This was then followed up by the crossbar challenge and the 200 kids dance troupe. The £5k challenge I have no issue with, the dancing was horrendous and a waste of 5 minutes that could have been used to get the crowd engaged for the second half, get the compere to get a chant going in crowd, do something!

The frustrating thing is that the RFL know that they should be making an effort. They have staged fanzones for years at their events - yet they decide not to for things like this. They have been using big name acts at plenty of our events, and will do again next year, but not at this.

We are presenting our big internationals as far smaller events than the big club games.

Archived