Sign in to follow this  
Saint Toppy

Our new position in the EU

Indeed. Their status appears to be that they are 'ours' when it suits us, but 'independent' when it doesn't suit us.

They are also topical in terms of the 'Paradise Papers' and UK tax avoidance.

As for who knows what, the British Government have been world leaders in propaganda since at least the Boer Wars. We know what they want us to know.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

9 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Do keep up, old chap.:tongue:

I’m having a day away with the wife and her family who have a stopover over from the US to India. I typed the post and then spent ages before I remembered to hit send.

Hounslow is such a fun place to take people out for food. The family picked it because it’s a couple of tube stops from Heathrow. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

1 hour ago, ckn said:

I’m having a day away with the wife and her family who have a stopover over from the US to India. I typed the post and then spent ages before I remembered to hit send.

Hounslow is such a fun place to take people out for food. The family picked it because it’s a couple of tube stops from Heathrow. 

@Old Frightful is a big fan of Hounslow, sure he can recommend a pub. And it is just a few minutes from Skolars' ground on the tube if they fancy seeing where the RL is played.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

46 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

it is just a few minutes from Skolars' ground on the tube if they fancy seeing where the RL is played.

Has Hounslow moved?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Has Hounslow moved?

JB is fully aware of the distance from Hounslow to Wood Green, he's simply trying to extract the maximum amount of humour from my unfortunate Northerner's assumption that everywhere in London only takes a few minutes on the tube. My good mate Barry and I grew old whilst travelling from Hounslow to meet up with Browny for Friday Night Lights at the Skolars on Wembley Eve.

I doubt I'll ever be allowed to forget it where he's concerned.

:rolleyes:

• Like 3

RADFORD OUT!

9 hours ago, Griff9of13 said:

Who is your post aimed at Oxford? :unsure:

Thanks for that it was in response to Saintslass!

• Thanks 1

RL1.JPG.6a10be03c5528650e188f078de012540.JPG

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/06/trump-ross-says-uk-us-trade-deal-eu-brexit-chlorinated-chicken?CMP=twt_gu

Donald Trump’s most senior business representative has warned any post-Brexit deal with Washington will hinge on the UK scrapping rules set by Brussels, including regulations governing imports of chlorinated chicken. 

Wilbur Ross, the US commerce secretary, suggested European regulations governing the safety of imports such as chlorine-washed chicken ignored US scientific research. His comments underline the potential difficulties in striking a free trade deal with the US once Britain leaves the EU. 

The key Trump adviser, who was separately caught on Monday at the heart of the furore over the Paradise Papers, said changing these regulations will form a “critical component of any trade discussion,” between London and Washington, while the UK should also take steps to remove “unnecessary regulatory divergences” with the US.

But keeping those EU rules is key to the customs and trade deal we want with the EU...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

8 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/06/trump-ross-says-uk-us-trade-deal-eu-brexit-chlorinated-chicken?CMP=twt_gu

But keeping those EU rules is key to the customs and trade deal we want with the EU...

Everyone shall have what they want.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Talk about muddying the waters, The Guardian is reporting that the Germans are making contingency plans for the collapse of Europe.  A leaked document to Der Spiegel says that the German government are so worried about the way the EU is going that they have outlined several scenarios that could possibly happen before 2040.  The 'good' scenarios give a Europe where, in various degrees, there is no turmoil and no wars, where everyone lives in harmony.  The 'bad'  scenarios talk of the US and China locked in an economic war with the EU, more countries leaving the EU and some east European countries joining Russia in a kind of East EU.  

It also reported something I never heard about,  that since the EU ordered the mass privatisation of Greek assets, Chinese money has poured into Greece, buying the whole container port of Piraeus and in August signing billions of euros worth of investment deals with Greece. One Greek MP even said that Greece's future is now with China, and not the EU.

Just found a link to the online version of this article - HERE

Edited by Jasper

5 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

"Donald Trump’s most senior business representative has warned any post-Brexit deal with Washington will hinge on the UK scrapping rules set by Brussels, including regulations governing imports of chlorinated chicken. "

"Yes, get rid of all these rubbish rules so we can rip you off much more easily."

Greeks and gifts everyone .....

4 hours ago, Jasper said:

Talk about muddying the waters,

Jasper all government have silly scenario research/analysis it's how they pretend their proactive rather than reactive except the analysis almost never gets it right and governments acting on the data provided invariably get it wrong. And leaking is almost never done without suspicious motivations for doing so and so the waters aren't so much muddy as opaque!

RL1.JPG.6a10be03c5528650e188f078de012540.JPG

11 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Ross also accused the EU of extreme protectionism - given what his boss has been saying, that's pretty rich. 

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

5 minutes ago, ckn said:

There was a thread going round yesterday - which seemed to have the confidence of people who normally know what they're talking about - that the EU won't now move forward in December meaning March will be the earliest possible start date for phase II. I don't care how good you are that doesn't leave any time to sort anything out.

In completely unrelated news, the leave voting mariners of Grimsby have just realised they're screwed and are asking for special protection from the consequences of their actions.

17 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

There was a thread going round yesterday - which seemed to have the confidence of people who normally know what they're talking about - that the EU won't now move forward in December meaning March will be the earliest possible start date for phase II. I don't care how good you are that doesn't leave any time to sort anything out.

In completely unrelated news, the leave voting mariners of Grimsby have just realised they're screwed and are asking for special protection from the consequences of their actions.

On your first paragraph, it's a bit like a death sentence prisoner's last prayers on the way to the gallows: "it'll be alright, this can't happen to ME, I'm too important for this to happen to ME" followed by drop and crack while soiling himself.

On your last paragraph, I've seen that a lot.  From farmers with their billboards promoting UKIP and Leave (I didn't see one farm billboard promoting Remain) to fisherfolk to those in secondary ports to those whose jobs are paid for in EU grants despite being vociferous Leave voters.  All now wanting special protections.  Erm, no.

We're into planning rounds for some funding for 2019/20 given that things often need to be planned more than a year in advance and there's still no mention of how the government will replace EU grants (for the avoidance of doubt, I couldn't care where the money comes from, it still needs to come in).  Things like university research grants, infrastructure projects and so on, all wondering whether they're going to get any replacement funding come April 2019.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

49 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

This thread?

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

2 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

This thread?

That was the one. I didn't put it up myself because I don't know who the guy is but a lot of the replies/comments relating to it, or people RTing it, are folk who normally seem to get things broadly right.

39 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

se I don't know who the guy is but a lot of the replies/comments relating to it, or people RTing it, are folk who normally

I am actually slightly sympathetic to the Leave side here.

I am with Remain and always have been.  The claims people who say they were misinformed, I generally consider spurious.  

But, I am genuinely shocked at how badly it is being done.  I have eurocrats stay at my place through airbnb and they appear to be genuinely shocked.   For all I was arguing against Leave supporters who asserted it would be easy, I am stunned the Government are doing this badly.  

I am becoming concerned.

Edited by Bob8

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

7 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

But, I am genuinely shocked at how badly it is being done.  I have eurocrats stay at my place through airbnb and they appear to be genuinely shocked.   For all I was arguing against Leave supporters who asserted it would be easy, I am stunned the Government are doing this badly.  

Really? I'm surprised anyone could see this going any other way than it is, especially after May's  disastrous and unnecessary election. In fact, thinking about it, it goes back further than that to when she decided to put Curly, Larry and Mo in charge of the key brexit posts; that's when we knew it would turn out to be a disaster.

Edited by Griff9of13
Add the second sentence

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

7 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Really? I'm surprised anyone could see this going any other way than it is, especially after May's  disastrous and unnecessary election. In fact, thinking about it, it goes back further than that to when she decided to put Curly, Larry and Mo in charge of the key brexit posts; that's when we knew it would turn out to be a disaster.

I expected it to go badly.  Not this badly.

Some of the stories I hear are breath-taking.  

This is seen as showing that Brexit was definately a bad idea, but that is almost like taking the example of 2000 to show that a World Cup is a bad idea. 

• Like 2

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Just now, Bob8 said:

I expected it to go badly.  Not this badly.

Some of the stories I hear are breath-taking.  

This is seen as showing that Brexit was definately a bad idea, but that is almost like taking the example of 2000 to show that a World Cup is a bad idea. 

I'm a remainer, so yes i'm biased that it would be bad for the country.

However, I'm surprised at where we are, the election certainly wasn't foreseen.  May has no power, a split party and now a number of other non-brexit issues.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I am actually slightly sympathetic to the Leave side here.

I am with Remain and always have been.  The claims people who say they were misinformed, I generally consider spurious.  

I am becoming concerned.

I'm with you on that.  Davey Cameron was all bluff and bluster about how he'd hang around regardless of the result then sneaked away in embarrassment after he lost his idiot bet with the warring Tory factions.  If he'd hung around, started a plan immediately to get it all working with public all-party consultations on what sort of Brexit was possible then set a planned date for Article 50 notification, then it might just have worked.  It'd have been difficult, would probably have cost him his job in the long run and would not have healed the Tory divisions but it'd have worked for the country.

To leave the EU is a massive undertaking that needed to be treated seriously.  Half the job is with the EU, the other half is inside the UK fixing what's going to break.  So far, May has concentrated her efforts on the EU side and done it abysmally, she's done absolutely nothing inside the UK to address all of the things that the EU does that now they won't.

Even the critical issue around the atomic energy treaties have been treated as if they're things that can be solved with a "we're the UK, we'll get what we want" declaration.

We thought we'd seen how badly May can plan things with the disastrous general election campaign, well, that was just the appetiser for the real dog's dinner of the EU separation.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ckn said:

I'm with you on that.  Davey Cameron was all bluff and bluster about how he'd hang around regardless of the result then sneaked away in embarrassment after he lost his idiot bet with the warring Tory factions.  If he'd hung around, started a plan immediately to get it all working with public all-party consultations on what sort of Brexit was possible then set a planned date for Article 50 notification, then it might just have worked.  It'd have been difficult, would probably have cost him his job in the long run and would not have healed the Tory divisions but it'd have worked for the country.

To leave the EU is a massive undertaking that needed to be treated seriously.  Half the job is with the EU, the other half is inside the UK fixing what's going to break.  So far, May has concentrated her efforts on the EU side and done it abysmally, she's done absolutely nothing inside the UK to address all of the things that the EU does that now they won't.

Even the critical issue around the atomic energy treaties have been treated as if they're things that can be solved with a "we're the UK, we'll get what we want" declaration.

We thought we'd seen how badly May can plan things with the disastrous general election campaign, well, that was just the appetiser for the real dog's dinner of the EU separation.

As ever, a far better explination of my thoughts than I could write myself.

To be fair to May, I do think she had a plan.
- Become Tory leader and seize the initiative
- Gain credibity, power and time to make hard choices by gaining a large Parlimentary majority
- oh ######.

Briefly, she had Labour in a tailspin and the Tories looked powerful.  Then there was the election and it went very badly wrong.  After that, she was impotent.

• Like 1