Mon 17 Apr: SL: Warrington Wolves v Huddersfield Giants KO 3pm

Think this will be a tough one for Warrington.   Huddersfield will be hurting and there will be a reaction, whilst Warrington are missing Clark, Westerman, Atkins, Russell and Cooper with Westwood suspended.   Brown still out due concussion alongside Penny and Currie - no one seems to know when they will be back.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

42 minutes ago, Desert Skipper said:

Think this will be a tough one for Warrington.   Huddersfield will be hurting and there will be a reaction, whilst Warrington are missing Clark, Westerman, Atkins, Russell and Cooper with Westwood suspended.   Brown still out due concussion alongside Penny and Currie - no one seems to know when they will be back.

Clark,cooper and westerman are in the squad, so a few bodies back and it looks like Smith has got a rotation thrust upon him by the concussion rules. 

Well with all three in the 19 the minimum is one playing , and upto all three, but with Wakefield coming up on Saturday and plenty of the squad missing some of the games the toll on the players will be not as bad as normal at this period. 

15 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

But Giants are missing important players too.

The radio commentary suggests one of the spawniest wins ever, with Wire winning 26-24. Huddersfield scored with 20 seconds left, but Brough missed the conversion which would have tied it up.

I will take four points over Easter, but a lot of work to do with this team.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

To be honest the knock on given against Toby King which led to the final hudds try wasn't s knock on.  Hudds defenders tried to tackle him in goal but he had his hand on the ball in the field of play so where on earth Thaler got a knock on from is anyone's guess?  Justice really when that last seconds conversion attempt missed as hudds should never have had the possession which allowed them to score in the corner in the first place!

2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16

2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6

2011 League Leaders Shield Winners

2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

Not a lot between the sides, both looked poor, but Warrington had the best of the composure and a couple of decisions went their way, I'm still not sure how you can drop the ball on contact and it deemed play on (Sims) and I wasn't totally convinced by Kings try either, looked like he was short then moved again to ground the ball,saying that, some of our tackling was shocking for some of those tries!

And despite sending Amor off last week, it seems Mr Thaler, bottled it this week, by putting Clark on report that chopped Gaskell down with a high shot, but Clark has now been cited with a grade B striking charge, so Huddersfield got absolutely no benefit from that, and Clark was fairly instrumental for Warrington after that,consistency please?

But as Rick Stone said, when you're down there you don't get much luck or 50/50 calls going your way, but we more than matched wire, we just lost our composure a few times and failed to tackle properly.

29 minutes ago, meast said:

And despite sending Amor off last week, it seems Mr Thaler, bottled it this week, by putting Clark on report that chopped Gaskell down with a high shot, but Clark has now been cited with a grade B striking charge, so Huddersfield got absolutely no benefit from that, and Clark was fairly instrumental for Warrington after that,consistency please?

The consistency is there. Amor getting sent off was the anomaly. 

Wakefield didn't get any benefit from this ban either.

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/news/wakefield-coach-chris-chester-angry-12660100

It's pretty standard nowadays that players get banned after the video has been watched, as frustrating as it is.

I do agree in principle, but Thaler saw it, blew up, got Clark over and put it on report, if he' seen it, which he clearly did, why put it on report? it's a cop out for me, he got a bit of stick for the red card for Amor and was too scared to make a decision and potentially get criticised again, I like Thaler as a ref so It's not a personal thing, i just think the Amor red card played on his mind and Warrington got the benefits of that.

As for the Wakefield one, no one was aware of that until it was pointed out by Chester post match, so no comparison really.

1 hour ago, meast said:

I do agree in principle, but Thaler saw it, blew up, got Clark over and put it on report, if he' seen it, which he clearly did, why put it on report? it's a cop out for me, he got a bit of stick for the red card for Amor and was too scared to make a decision and potentially get criticised again, I like Thaler as a ref so It's not a personal thing, i just think the Amor red card played on his mind and Warrington got the benefits of that.

As for the Wakefield one, no one was aware of that until it was pointed out by Chester post match, so no comparison really.

It was one example - there are scores of examples where players get banned who did not get sent off in the game. I am not trying to provoke debate by the way mate, I get as frustrated as you, but it is more consistent that players get banned after not getting sent off than the red card.

Evidence: only 5 red cards in SL last year - however there were 61 disciplinary charges.

2 hours ago, meast said:

Not a lot between the sides, both looked poor, but Warrington had the best of the composure and a couple of decisions went their way, I'm still not sure how you can drop the ball on contact and it deemed play on (Sims) and I wasn't totally convinced by Kings try either, looked like he was short then moved again to ground the ball,saying that, some of our tackling was shocking for some of those tries!

You can see on the video that Sims loses the ball backwards on contact.   It wasn't passed but deliberately but it did go backwards before it hit the floor.   No issue there.

King's try wasn't debateable at all.   He came down with the ball short of the line but there was no tackle effected on him, therefore he has every right to lift the ball and place it over the line. The fact that he was in contact with the opposition player who had been competing for the ball doesnt make it a tackle.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

I'm not claiming that those decisions cost us the game, far from it, nor do i like to bag refs, apart from at the game but don't we all :) my point is that the same referee sees more or less the same incident differently within 4 days, that has to be a worry surely? unless it depends which teams are involved?

8/10 the dropped ball by Sims would be a knock on, we certainly got pulled up for at least 3 identical ones, but yet that was deemed as fine, i can't see any Huddersfield hands on it and i doubt any of the officials could, it seemed pure guesswork, same with the King try, Thaler was convinced the try wasn't legal as he didn't get a good view but the in goal judge who probably had a worse view thought it was fine.

Anyway swings and roundabouts i guess, but even Martyn Sadler himself, alludes to it in the LE this week that using foul play seems to benefit certain teams.

12 minutes ago, meast said:

I'm not claiming that those decisions cost us the game, far from it, nor do i like to bag refs, apart from at the game but don't we all :) my point is that the same referee sees more or less the same incident differently within 4 days, that has to be a worry surely? unless it depends which teams are involved?

8/10 the dropped ball by Sims would be a knock on, we certainly got pulled up for at least 3 identical ones, but yet that was deemed as fine, i can't see any Huddersfield hands on it and i doubt any of the officials could, it seemed pure guesswork, same with the King try, Thaler was convinced the try wasn't legal as he didn't get a good view but the in goal judge who probably had a worse view thought it was fine.

Anyway swings and roundabouts i guess, but even Martyn Sadler himself, alludes to it in the LE this week that using foul play seems to benefit certain teams.

In this ever-changing world in which we live in ((c) McCartney), it is good to know there are some certainties.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived