Tim Farron Resignation

People who voted for Brexit wanted us to get out o the EU and to have fewer immigrants coming in. Those are the two foundation stones of UKIP.

Other policies may not suit people, but those were the basic tenets of Brexiteeers.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

Er, this is a thread about Tim Farron.

If we know anything at all about Tim Farron, it is that he isn't a Brexiteer, so can we not drag this thread on to that old chestnut.

Thanks.

He always sounded like a well intentioned 6th form politics student to me, using 100 words were 10 or 20 would surfice, was left holding the baby when they had few to choose from, whilst I may not agree with his relegious views, he seemed like a good bloke.

My mum confessed this week she voted for him in the election after heavy lobbying from her 8 year old grand daughter who wanted to know why Grandma intended to vote Convservative when Theresa May was reducing the size of the police force so she wouldn't get arrested for stealing money and lunches from schools!

Given every vote counted this time around in Mr Farrons consituency I'm considering hiring her out to canvess on a wider scale at the next election!

20 hours ago, ckn said:

I'd disagree with that.  Charlie Kennedy had built a solid left-of-centre party that was slowly making in-roads into areas that were utterly fed up with Tories and Labour, he handed over 62 seats and 22% of the vote to the salesman Clegg including heartland areas that were getting near untouchable.  Then along comes 2010, throwing it all in the dust-bin for a few ministerial seats, going from 57 seats in 2010 to a mere 8 in 2015.  Imagine lifting & shifting the party of early 2010 (or preferably 2005) to the recent general election, still full of optimism and against two parties that were really quite unelectable and an SNP making vote-losing independence noises again.  I'm not saying they'd have won or anything near that but 100 seats would have been a fair target.  Instead, there's celebrations over getting back to 12.

I stand corrected in some ways; but just checked the vote share - imagine how many seats both Kennedy and Clegg would have had with PR.

I saw something that made me chuckle.

Vince Cable should rule himself out of the leadership race as he's now 74 and will be far too old at the next election at the grand old age of 74 and a half. 

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:29 AM, Wolford6 said:

People who voted for Brexit wanted us to get out o the EU and to have fewer immigrants coming in. Those are the two foundation stones of UKIP.

Other policies may not suit people, but those were the basic tenets of Brexiteeers.

Totally agree, the natives got fed up of not being able to get work because of immigrant workers, a typical example where I live is a chicken factory re-open last year, out of the entire workforce only 8 locals actually work there, the company bus in an African workforce every shift.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Jo Swinson rules herself out as leader.  That leaves a rather shallow pool and a likely leader from one of these three:  Vince Cable (who had a hand in some of the most Tory of Tory actions, such as the Royal Mail sell-off), Norman Lamb (who was in charge of the largest ever cut in mental health services, and cuts at a rate that exceeded every other NHS department during that time) or Ed Davey (the least tainted of the three by the Coalition but, well, he's a less likeable version of Farron)

Someone needs to get hold of Jo and tell her to suck it up and take the job.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

On 6/16/2017 at 10:37 PM, Marauder said:

Totally agree, the natives got fed up of not being able to get work because of immigrant workers, a typical example where I live is a chicken factory re-open last year, out of the entire workforce only 8 locals actually work there, the company bus in an African workforce every shift.

That's a long bus ride every day. :wink:

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

On 16 June 2017 at 11:37 PM, Marauder said:

Would I want to work in a chicken factory ? Err, no.

Having said that I once had a two week repair job in a chocolate factory and I hated that as well. Put me off chocolate for a year.

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Would I want to work in a chicken factory ? Err, no.

Having said that I once had a two week repair job in a chocolate factory and I hated that as well. Put me off chocolate for a year.

Not everyone has a choice and work is work, I'm grateful to have worked outdoors most of my working life.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

Does anyone else get that the Lib Dems JUST HAVE NOT LEARNED from the Coalition disaster?  Vince Cable was happy to talk today about how he's in talks with Tory MPs over Brexit.  Even sharing the same room as a Tory MP should be treated as dangerous stuff while there are still people at the top of the party who have anything to do with the long-term disaster for the Lib Dems that was the Coalition.

As it stands, if Cable became Leader then I'd be looking at no longer than evens odds that he'd sign up to some sort of deal to bail out the Tories if the DUP deal fell through.

The two remaining main candidates for Lib Dem Leader both treat Labour with contempt but are happy to talk about how they've things in common with Tories.  The most left-wing Labour in generations and the most right-wing Tories in generations and it's the Tories that the Lib Dems seem happier to associate with.

I think they really need to have a think why they just aren't getting back the voters who deserted them in 2015.

9 minutes ago, ckn said:

Does anyone else get that the Lib Dems JUST HAVE NOT LEARNED from the Coalition disaster?  Vince Cable was happy to talk today about how he's in talks with Tory MPs over Brexit.  Even sharing the same room as a Tory MP should be treated as dangerous stuff while there are still people at the top of the party who have anything to do with the long-term disaster for the Lib Dems that was the Coalition.

As it stands, if Cable became Leader then I'd be looking at no longer than evens odds that he'd sign up to some sort of deal to bail out the Tories if the DUP deal fell through.

I presumed he was talking to Tory MPs who don't want a Hard Brexit and are keen to either have access to the Single Market at the least; advert Brexit at best. Surely that is a good thing if you are that way inclined? 

The bit in bold is entirely different but I've read he's talking to back-benchers, not those in Government or in the Cabinet. 

13 minutes ago, ckn said:

The two remaining main candidates for Lib Dem Leader both treat Labour with contempt but are happy to talk about how they've things in common with Tories.  The most left-wing Labour in generations and the most right-wing Tories in generations and it's the Tories that the Lib Dems seem happier to associate with.

I think they really need to have a think why they just aren't getting back the voters who deserted them in 2015.

It really doesn't matter if it is a coalition or an informal agreement; if the LibDems are seen as getting back into bed with the Conservatives in any way, they are going to get beaten like a red-headed stepchild at the next election.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived