Tim Farron Resignation

He has done the right thing IMO. This is only a liberal country if you aren't a practising Christian. I'd like to have seen the media quiz a devout Muslim leader in the same way; after all, devout Muslims, like devout Jews and devout Christians, often do not believe homosexuality to be acceptable.

2 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

He has done the right thing IMO. This is only a liberal country if you aren't a practising Christian. I'd like to have seen the media quiz a devout Muslim leader in the same way; after all, devout Muslims, like devout Jews and devout Christians, often do not believe homosexuality to be acceptable.

A devout muslim is unlikely to even vote for a very socially liberal party, let alone lead one.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

3 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

And yet the vicars daughter wasn't repeatedly and doggedly asked the same question, even though she had a worse voting record on LGBTQ rights. 

3 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

And you know this how?

They would have the same conflict that Farron had - I think he was very naive to think that this wouldn't eventually catch him out. I think he's a decent guy but he needs to have a good look at what Jesus actually said and stood for rather than what was in the Old Testament.

To be fair, there aren't many choices now for people who are homophobic as all the main parties have left it behind. You can't vote DUP in most of the UK.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I'll get slated for this, but...

Nonentity resigns from leadership of irrelevant party.

Yawn.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

1 minute ago, tonyXIII said:

I'll get slated for this, but...

Nonentity resigns from leadership of irrelevant party.

Yawn.

Unfortunatley yes you are correct , just a shame we all arent democratic liberals , the world would be a much better place if we were 

2 hours ago, RidingPie said:

He's done ok without being particularly good. Personally I like him, as he used to be a councillor in leyland when I was young and I know he's a good guy. That said he's not exactly been a dynamic leader. 

Same here; started the rebuild of the party  with a 100% increase in membership and a 50% increase in seats. Lots of success at the local level too. But the party is impeded by the FPTP system and won't ever really challenge Labour or the Tories until that changes.

3 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Same here; started the rebuild of the party  with a 100% increase in membership and a 50% increase in seats. Lots of success at the local level too. But the party is impeded by the FPTP system and won't ever really challenge Labour or the Tories until that changes.

I'd disagree with that.  Charlie Kennedy had built a solid left-of-centre party that was slowly making in-roads into areas that were utterly fed up with Tories and Labour, he handed over 62 seats and 22% of the vote to the salesman Clegg including heartland areas that were getting near untouchable.  Then along comes 2010, throwing it all in the dust-bin for a few ministerial seats, going from 57 seats in 2010 to a mere 8 in 2015.  Imagine lifting & shifting the party of early 2010 (or preferably 2005) to the recent general election, still full of optimism and against two parties that were really quite unelectable and an SNP making vote-losing independence noises again.  I'm not saying they'd have won or anything near that but 100 seats would have been a fair target.  Instead, there's celebrations over getting back to 12.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

8 hours ago, tim2 said:

A devout muslim is unlikely to even vote for a very socially liberal party, let alone lead one.

Err .... so the Labour Party doesn't attract Muslim voters?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Err .... so the Labour Party doesn't attract Muslim voters?

OK - they do, and so do the Tories. But the context was "devout muslims", and in fact meaning ones who truly believe that homosexuality means you go directly to hell and do not pass go or collect £200. I suppose in all cases they have to tolerate certain policies because they have no choice.

10 hours ago, Saintslass said:

You mean like the DUP?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

20 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Quite so. Hence Corbyn.

What's May's excuse?

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah you're right - You only have to look at UKIP for the evidence of that.

I agree with you. There are quite a few idiots in UKIP. However, in my opinion, the policies are sound and the Tories and Labour won't adopt them.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

10 hours ago, tim2 said:

They would have the same conflict that Farron had - I think he was very naive to think that this wouldn't eventually catch him out. I think he's a decent guy but he needs to have a good look at what Jesus actually said and stood for rather than what was in the Old Testament.

To be fair, there aren't many choices now for people who are homophobic as all the main parties have left it behind. You can't vote DUP in most of the UK.

Yes, it's a brand of Christianity he follows that is going to lead to conflicts pretty much every step of the way.  And I get the feeling he's someone who spends a lot of time in his own head.  That's not going to be healthy when you add in the scrutiny that he now faces whenever he says pretty much anything.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Wolford6 said:

I agree with you. There are quite a few idiots in UKIP. However, in my opinion, the policies are sound and the Tories and Labour won't adopt them.

UKIP's problem is that by and large their voters just want to moan about stuff and aren't prepared to get off their ***** and organise anything. Football fans marching around immigrant areas whilst there's no footie on doesn't quite cut it.

When I was a young shop steward I was getting loads of guys coming to me with what we're really petty grievances. They were getting steamed up about little bee's in their bonnet. I mentioned it to the Convenor. He said " Next time you get a guy with a minor complaint just take the guy by the elbow and say - ' Come on , we'll go and see the management together ".

After that I lost count of the  number of times I heard - " Well it's not really that important Tyrone, just mention next time you see somebody will you ".

UKIP voters ?

Archived