15th/16th/17th Sept : Super 8s - The Qualifiers Match Thread

18 minutes ago, stevereed100 said:

Hicks may have " given" Rovers reserves a try but it was apparent in the last 20 minutes that he favoured led Cats when stopping the clock. Stopped on one scrum before Catalan forwards had reached the scrum.Catalan knock Docker Clay fails to gain advantage play on no scrum further up the pitch.Rovers knock on Cats try to play advantage, ball ends up in Rovers hands. Instantly stops clock even though no delays in ball coming back to scrum.Several other examples, not suggesting RF conspiracy just Hick being a Richard.

Proud of Rovers A matching a SL team.

Next seasons home shirt and new sponsor on sale tonight. How quick was that!

Nice to see you gracious in defeat as always Steve

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, westlondonfan said:

I haven't given up hope on London beating Widnes and then Leigh and getting into the MPG. I would prefer that not to to be at Catalan's expense but I am a London fan first. 

London can't get in at Catalans expense now. 

Think you are wrong. The best example was when their pack had not even got together. They were rushing to the scrum but he beat them to it!

Happy with a Catalans win, would rather go to Perpignan than Widnes or Leigh although Leigh have great facilities. They lack any other attraction for a long weekend away.

9 hours ago, stevereed100 said:

Hicks may have " given" Rovers reserves a try but it was apparent in the last 20 minutes that he favoured led Cats when stopping the clock. Stopped on one scrum before Catalan forwards had reached the scrum.Catalan knock Docker Clay fails to gain advantage play on no scrum further up the pitch.Rovers knock on Cats try to play advantage, ball ends up in Rovers hands. Instantly stops clock even though no delays in ball coming back to scrum.Several other examples, not suggesting RF conspiracy just Hick being a Richard.

Wouldn't it have been slightly easier for RH to favour Catalans (if he was) by not awarding Hull KR two very dubious tries?

Questioning Hicks interpretation of running the clock, most people view him as a poor ref anyway. Oates try was possibly a forward pass but how many tries are anyway.

When Catalans were desperate to get back into the game Mr Hicks seemed to forget we had a party scheduled for 10pm and stopped the game clock.

Couldn't care less about the result other than the depth of our squad proved a match for a Super League first team.....and one likely to prove better than an inept Widnes and a combative Leigh side.

6 minutes ago, stevereed100 said:

Questioning Hicks interpretation of running the clock, most people view him as a poor ref anyway. Oates try was possibly a forward pass but how many tries are anyway.

When Catalans were desperate to get back into the game Mr Hicks seemed to forget we had a party scheduled for 10pm and stopped the game clock.

Couldn't care less about the result other than the depth of our squad proved a match for a Super League first team.....and one likely to prove better than an inept Widnes and a combative Leigh side.

I personally would like to see Catalans staying up not for any preference over Leigh or Widnes. Simply because the costs to Catalan of playing in the championship and without SL funding would be much higher and potentially crippling for the club. What I would say though is if you do have the funding covered HKR have proven that relegation can actually be a positive for your club. It allows you to cut the deadwood from your squad and develop the players you really want to keep. 

9 minutes ago, stevereed100 said:

Individually, all three SL teams you mention, in comparing them to your heroic "reserve team", are in danger of being a Championshio side next year.

:kolobok_sad:   Hull FC....The Sons of God....  :kolobok_sad:
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Been a lurker for the majority of the season, thought we did ourselves proud last night and on another night the penalty goes over. We earned the right to rest all those players and it was nearly enough, so proud of our boys and getting back at the first attempt.

Steve, I appreciate you're a fellow rovers fan, but you need to give your head a wobble pal, you are literally the worst example of someone who follows their side with no objective view of the game or credit where it's due, you're giving our club a bad name in the eyes of the fans here.

As for Hicks, I'm not his biggest fan especially for the drop goal he gave that wasn't last season v hudds, but he always refs the clock like that, has done all season. Had a good game last night too, Le Cats will have to improve drastically to stay up but I make Leigh favourites for the drop.

12 minutes ago, roversbaz said:

Been a lurker for the majority of the season, thought we did ourselves proud last night and on another night the penalty goes over. We earned the right to rest all those players and it was nearly enough, so proud of our boys and getting back at the first attempt.

This is exactly right. Sheens is no novice. As soon as Saturday was over his attention will have turned to next year. Resting those guys works twofold, firstly it gives fringe players a rest and secondly allows him to go full tilt at Warrington next week. This is a bonus chance for him to see his squad against a bona fide SL side away from home (i.e. non basement dwellers). Planning for 2018 now is the ultimate priority - the fans as excited as they are probably understand that.

11 hours ago, stevereed100 said:

I don't follow how stopping the clock favours one side or the other unless you feel Les Catalans were getting on top and Rovers were tiring but you don't say this was the case.  I do see how Hicks giving Rovers a try clearly favours your team.

52 minutes ago, roversbaz said:

Steve, I appreciate you're a fellow rovers fan, but you need to give your head a wobble pal, you are literally the worst example of someone who follows their side with no objective view of the game or credit where it's due, you're giving our club a bad name in the eyes of the fans here.

Well said Baz.

Both Reliable Robin and your good self have tried to give Steve decent advice but I fear it will all be in vain. Almost everyone who posts on this forum knows when their team have been poor and have been beaten by a better team. Unfortunately our mutual friend can never seem to accept this.

Sadly, it's nearly always the referee who bears the brunt of Steve's frustrations.

If London can beat Widnes this afternoon, which is not beyond their capabilities then there is still a very good chance of 2 SL teams been relegated, Leigh automatically, and Catalans in the MPG should they lose to Widnes next week. All that said and done I do not think London can go on and be a great club and neither can Widnes and Catalan so in an ideal world for the good of the game I think Id prefer Catalans to come down and failing that Widnes.

Just now, The Blues Ox said:

If London can beat Widnes this afternoon, which is not beyond their capabilities then there is still a very good chance of 2 SL teams been relegated, Leigh automatically, and Catalans in the MPG should they lose to Widnes next week. All that said and done I do not think London can go on and be a great club and neither can Widnes and Catalan so in an ideal world for the good of the game I think Id prefer Catalans to come down and failing that Widnes.

I think all those clubs will thank you for those good wishes.

8 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Leigh would also have to lose at London next week, not beyond happening, but could London back up twice?

"If Rugby League had never been Invented, today we would only have Rugby League"

1 hour ago, stevereed100 said:

How disrespectful of Hicks to ref to the laws of the game when you have a party planned 

Just now, DoubleD said:

How disrespectful of Hicks to ref to the laws of the game when you have a party planned 

Had it been anybody else I would have laughed and accepted it as a joke.

However...

50 minutes ago, GaryO said:

Leigh would also have to lose at London next week, not beyond happening, but could London back up twice?

Yeah its unlikely but not out of the question although I feel Leigh have the best potential to be a good SL club out of the 4 teams. The others are just there to make up the numbers with 2 of them in London and Catalans  really not offering much despite what should be great potential and having money thrown at them.

2 hours ago, Old Frightful said:

Individually, all three SL teams you mention, in comparing them to your heroic "reserve team", are in danger of being a Championshio side next year.

And why would you care?

Only 1 of these sides will be a Championship side unless you have high hopes for London Broncos.

Heroic?  faint praise indeed from the arrogant side of town.

57 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Had it been anybody else I would have laughed and accepted it as a joke.

However..

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Let me try to introduce irony to you!

2 hours ago, roversbaz said:

As for Hicks, I'm not his biggest fan especially for the drop goal he gave that wasn't last season v hudds, but he always refs the clock like that, has done all season. Had a good game last night too, Le Cats will have to improve drastically to stay up but I make Leigh favourites for the drop.

Lost me when you invented that drop goal v Huddersfield! 

The second new "Rovers" fan on here...give it a few weeks next season and you will see who your friends really are.

1 hour ago, L Bow said:

I don't follow how stopping the clock favours one side or the other unless you feel Les Catalans were getting on top and Rovers were tiring but you don't say this was the case.  I do see how Hicks giving Rovers a try clearly favours your team.

When a team is losing and time is running out have you not seen them rush to the scrum? Or when winning waste time?

Catalans, a team that some love to have and feel the RFL favour, were in danger of taking a big step towards the trap door. They certainly wanted the clock stopped.

I haven't noticed this with Hicks before but then we rarely get him in the Championship. If this is normal behaviour from him, why?

17 minutes ago, stevereed100 said:

When a team is losing and time is running out have you not seen them rush to the scrum? Or when winning waste time?

Catalans, a team that some love to have and feel the RFL favour, were in danger of taking a big step towards the trap door. They certainly wanted the clock stopped.

I haven't noticed this with Hicks before but then we rarely get him in the Championship. If this is normal behaviour from him, why?

If what's normal behaviour. 

Archived