15th/16th/17th Sept : Super 8s - The Qualifiers Match Thread

Ray showing his experience in Broadcasting Standards as he spends a few minutes confirming that "Buttock" is an acceptable term for use on the airwaves.

Also manages to miss several passages of play whilst explainig to listeners (trying desperately to hear how their team are doing) that the reason he doesn't like his commentary box is all the people squeezing past to go to the bar. Quote "buying pints of I don't know what"... ?

Love it.   Only in rugby league.   They miss this on the Six Nations coverage.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Boys v men, have nots v haves that's what rugby league as come to! They know no one will get promoted Leigh had thousands of pounds to do it but even they have struggled, use to be a great game been ruined and don't get me going about scrums! 

One club has already been promoted, you dunce.

Ray French has been as entertaining as ever. So far we have had appearances on the field from St Helens, Castleford, Leroy Livett, and Matt Gidley.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Pathetic display by Fev today.  I didn't go to Widnes, but they've been competitive in all the other Middle 8's until today. At Catalans they tackled like demons.  They didn't look interested today.  Warrington didn't need to break sweat.  I hope Fev were saving themselves for 'Fax.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

6 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Pathetic display by Fev today.  I didn't go to Widnes, but they've been competitive in all the other Middle 8's until today. At Catalans they tackled like demons.  They didn't look interested today.  Warrington didn't need to break sweat.  I hope Fev were saving themselves for 'Fax.

Not the refs fault then?

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

31 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Fax decided to rest players for their match on Friday night, did Fev try a new tactic of resting players during a match?

13 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Fax decided to rest players for their match on Friday night, did Fev try a new tactic of resting players during a match?

Looked like it!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

8 hours ago, westlondonfan said:

Close but no cigar for Londoni think. I listened to match yesterday on radio but from the matches that I have seen in the qualifiers Mark Ione has not looked out of his depth against the Super League teams.

London will have to strengthen their squad for next season. If they want to do a Leigh or Hull KR.

I hope Hendo will be staying .  For London supporters  it was a very entertaining season which I really enjoyed. I seem to have got know more other fans this year than I have ever done before. I think that may have something to do with seating arrangements and bar positioning at Trailfinders.

I've really enjoyed watching London's games in the qualifiers. They play some great rugby at times. 

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

11 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Maybe but we will still beat Fax next week,because the players know they can.

How have no doubt your team is more than capable of winning that game, it seems a few of your fans were pretty confident of destroying us after your game in Toulouse, I wonder if they are still as confident?

18 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

Tuning in early to Ray French on the Radio Merseyside coverage of Fev vs Wire, it's a nice to have a little chuckle at the open microphone background ramblings of Ray before the official match coverage starts.   It's like listening to your grandad mumbling randomly in his lounge armchair when you visit on a Sunday afternoon with some biscuits for a chat.

Trouble is, that's what it's like when he's supposed to be covering the match too. I love how Allan Rooney manages to comment on the match and at the same time gently correct Ray about which teams are playing, or what the score is, or whatever. Quite endearing if it's a match you're following as a neutral; pretty annoying if it's an important match and you want to know what's happening. I've heard from so many people over the years how lovely both of them are (and so many stories about their devotion to RL.)

2 hours ago, JonM said:

Trouble is, that's what it's like when he's supposed to be covering the match too. I love how Allan Rooney manages to comment on the match and at the same time gently correct Ray about which teams are playing, or what the score is, or whatever. Quite endearing if it's a match you're following as a neutral; pretty annoying if it's an important match and you want to know what's happening. I've heard from so many people over the years how lovely both of them are (and so many stories about their devotion to RL.)

it tickles me, as you say Rooney constantly correcting French on who the ball carrier is, the stuff at half time where they  leave the mics on and then just waffle on thinking no-one's listening is priceless...one time they did it after the match and it went on for ages, I was just sat listening with morbid curiosity to what sounded like a cleaner tidying up the room and people shouting stuff down the corridor

Archived