How embarrassing for rugby league that NRL clubs can stop England and New Zealand playing in Denver?

steavis

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is where the RLIF should have more power. Play the test or forget about International's altogether. Any day of the week in any sport a club SHOULD release a player for an International no question about it. If NRL clubs don't want their players to play International's then forget about it we can just remain second fiddle to Union always and forever! if we fall behind blame the clubs for not seeing the bigger picture! ARLC's only goal seems to be about being the biggest code in Australia. So much when you'd then have no internationals to play and no other markets opening up. Why does hardly anybody in the world care about AFL?

So what exactly is the issue for the clubs?

Funny because for years players have been playing Origin on the Wednesday then play in NRL on the weekend. Now we have a complete free weekend we should be able to call up anyone to go anywhere. 

No one cares about a triple header in campbelltown other than harcode fans.

40 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Ok to play Origin in the Middle of the week and players Missing games, but an international on a free weekend is not. Typical NRL

SOO isn't ok with me, Never has been never will be. If a club is paying GI, JT , Cam Smith etc 1m a season in salary cap RL and they get a season ending injury playing for anyone expect the club paying that wage then as a season ticket holder I am 110% against it.

The only way I'd change my mind about that is if compensation was payed to any affected clubs.

1 hour ago, Jim Prendle said:

Australia seem to want isolation form the rest of RL. In my opinion, we shouldn't let them down.

The NRL doesn't care, the fans don't seem to care, and to be honest, the longer this kind of thing goes on the less I care about them.

Cut them adrift, they won't be missed.

That would be a great example of cutting your nose to spite your face. Although I share your frustration

1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

We as a sport are ridiculous, Argentina in Union tour for about 11 months of the year. International England RU players play 12 months of the year and we Can't have one mid season test without the whole sport blowing up in controversy.

Perhaps that just shows that union doesn't care about the welfare of its players.

Playing calendars like the one you mention, would ruin the short term and long term well being of Rugby league player.

But I agree with you about the lousy attitude of the NRL.

1 hour ago, Jim Prendle said:

It's an international game. The NRL don't like anything that is not invented by the NRL.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

You have a simple outlook  Hannibal.

I do not agree with it  but it is employers dictating their employees terms and conditions.

Will the RLIF cover the insurance and amendment to the NRL Salary Cap if a player is injured? that should be a formality but I would bet it is not covered.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

4 minutes ago, Allora said:

I do not agree with it  but it is employers dictating their employees terms and conditions.

Will the RLIF cover the insurance and amendment to the NRL Salary Cap if a player is injured?

It's amazing how every other RL league copes just fine with these things as well as every other sport that has an international dimension. 

6 minutes ago, Allora said:

Will the RLIF cover the insurance and amendment to the NRL Salary Cap if a player is injured? that should be a formality but I would bet it is not covered.

Was there an ‘amendment to the salary cap’ when Thurston was injured last year in State of Origin?

21 minutes ago, Allora said:

Even though I have you on ignore, it's pretty much impossible to ignore your waffle if someone else quotes you.

If that is the case, then those employers (NRL) are simply the most short-sighted, insular, isolationist employers on the planet.

International RL is important, to everyone else apart from Australians it would seem. My, simple, viewpoint is that if the Australians are not interested in supporting international RL, then the rest of us should simply get on with it, and leave you to your own devices. If you are not interested in playing, then stay at home. I really don't care, and it is a much more exciting experience playing against the likes of Tonga and NZ anyway.

47 minutes ago, Tongs ya bas said:

That would be a great example of cutting your nose to spite your face. Although I share your frustration

Would it though? If Australia want to miss out on international RL, surely they are cutting their noses off, not the other way round.

I'm not frustrated, I just wish that for once we would make a decision. If Australia are not interested in playing, for whatever reason, then leave them behind, and the rest of us can get on with playing internationals.

3 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

How many times have we played France recently?

How many times have Ireland, Scotland and Wales played?

What have the NZRL done to promote the game in New Zealand?

Genuine questions.

I have to agree, it is not like the RFL is busting a gut to promote the international game in the Northern Hemisphere, we only play France when it suits us, usually plunking it in Doncaster or Leigh with a couple weeks notice and getting a 9,000 crowd.

Can't remember off the top of my head ever playing Wales or Ireland in non tournament test matches.

18 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

Would it though? If Australia want to miss out on international RL, surely they are cutting their noses off, not the other way round.

I'm not frustrated, I just wish that for once we would make a decision. If Australia are not interested in playing, for whatever reason, then leave them behind, and the rest of us can get on with playing internationals.

Where are we getting the players from?

As per my other post, we're not moving on without them. We're doing f all!

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/why-nrl-clubs-fear-test-between-england-and-nz-in-united-states-next-year-is-dangerous-territory/news-story/999cb19d4fe6bb837d292c8f0b448262

A couple of quotes from the article that highlights the retarded attitudes:

WOULD you like to see your NRL club’s 2018 season ruined by a proposed mid-year exhibition Test match between England and New Zealand in the United States to promote the 2025 World Cup? - that is the opening line!

The follow up to that question is:

That is the question that will surely anger many fans after the NRL this week flagged the idea for a game to be played in Denver, Colorado, smack bang in the middle of next year’s State of Origin series

...the timing of this match couldn’t be worse...

“We certainly have some concerns about the safety and welfare of our players and how this is likely to impact our club,” Dragons chief executive Peter Doust said.

...If the game goes ahead, it would impact most clubs during the busiest time on the NRL calendar for what is essentially a “look at us” match to promote the 2025 World Cup in the USA...

Melbourne football manager Frank Ponissi added: “We support the concept but definitely not the date.

“It should be played in October, not mid-season.”

I genuinely despair.

5 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Where are we getting the players from?

As per my other post, we're not moving on without them. We're doing f all!

Fair enough, but I don't see what that has to do with the stance of the NRL.

Please explain how England not playing enough internationals legitimises the approach the NRL seem to be taking.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/why-nrl-clubs-fear-test-between-england-and-nz-in-united-states-next-year-is-dangerous-territory/news-story/999cb19d4fe6bb837d292c8f0b448262

WOULD you like to see your NRL club’s 2018 season ruined by a proposed mid-year exhibition Test match between England and New Zealand in the United States to promote the 2025 World Cup? - that is the opening line!

That is the question that will surely anger many fans after the NRL this week flagged the idea for a game to be played in Denver, Colorado, smack bang in the middle of next year’s State of Origin series

“We certainly have some concerns about the safety and welfare of our players and how this is likely to impact our club,” Dragons chief executive Peter Doust said.

...If the game goes ahead, it would impact most clubs during the busiest time on the NRL calendar for what is essentially a “look at us” match to promote the 2025 World Cup in the USA...

Melbourne football manager Frank Ponissi added: “We support the concept but definitely not the date.

I genuinely despair.

They are on a break already, so seeing as International RL is far more important than a one-sided interstate friendly, they should cancel SOO.

15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I genuinely despair.

Crazy isn't it! People dont see an issue with playing Origin in the middle of the season leaving the NRL as a reserve league 3 rounds a year.

Archived