Kato Ottio

1 minute ago, graveyard johnny said:

the bloody irony of life, had the poor lad come over a few days earlier to widnes, heat stroke would have been the last thing to have claimed the life of such a talented young athlete as he,    hardly any consolation I know, but at least he left a mark and a bit of a legacy at the wc and will be remembered for his achievement - sad- horrible - unjust- words  dont begin to describe or make any sense at this time , very very sad

Heatstroke for a player from the torrid climate of Papua New Guinea seems especially cruel.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

the bloody irony of life, had the poor lad come over a few days earlier to widnes, heat stroke would have been the last thing to have claimed the life of such a talented young athlete as he

was thinking the very same

£3,228 raised so far, in such a short time.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

What absolutely dreadful news. I saw his name as one of the topic headings earlier but assumed it was just an update on his playing situation so I've only just caught up with it. As Padge alluded to, it's sad and awful when you hear about past players of our great game leaving us but for a young man like Kato it's very difficult to accept.

The http://www.looppng.com/sport/ottio-succumbed-heat-stroke-72032  page that Copa first put a link to has a barrage of critical comments after the story from people making several allegations about the care of Kato when he got into difficulties. This is compounding an already tragic event and I hope they're not proven for his family's sake.

RIP young man, the RL World is a poorer place without you.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

£5,765 raised in about 24 hours, and the stretch target has been bumped up to £10,000.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Copa said:

His cousin has been stabbed and cut up by villagers who think he used witchcraft to kill Kato. He is now under police protection.

https://www.radionz.co.nz/international/pacific-news/348743/man-attacked-over-alleged-sorcery-on-png-rugby-league-star

A horrendous attack although your description ('cut up') over-eggs what appears to have happened.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

• 11 months later...

Just spotted this on Twitter.

@loverugbyleague Jan 9

Widnes Vikings have helped Kato Ottio's dream come true by building his mother, Joyce, a house in Papua New Guinea.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Archived