Match thread: London Broncos v Featherstone Rovers Sunday February 18th

marklaspalmas

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They thrashed us at Blackpool last year, but we ran them pretty close at their place in the summer.  Time to regroup for next week.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Having watched the game again, and thought about it a bit more, am not quite so depressed as I was yesterday afternoon, though I still think we were very disappointing and don't disagree with Duffy's comments that our attitude was poor.

It just strikes me that London are very canny about how to play on their own pitch. There wasn't much flowing passing rugby from them, they just probe, probe, probe, knowing that when a gap does appear or a chance comes from broken play they have the speed to exploit it. Apart from the two tries from high kicks (which we REALLY need to find a way to counter), all their tries resulted from one player finding a gap up the middle and taking advantage of that quick surface, either to score himself or hand on to someone else, and they took advantage of virtually every scoring chance they had.

By contrast, all five of our tries came from more "traditional" passing movements, the ball going through three or four pairs of hands until the overlap was found...they were similar tries to the ones we have been scoring all season.

London's game plan defensively seemed to be to accept that it was better to risk giving away a penalty than risk allowing a quick play-the-ball....they conceded shedloads of penalties at the ruck and could have conceded plenty more, but it worked for them; they seemed to concede penalties early in the tackle count, too, whereas we gave away several late in the tackle count after a good defensive set.

I'd be prepared to draw a line under that performance, we were certainly very poor and we need to learn how to play better on plastic but it's a very different type of game to ones played on grass. Hopefull we'll bounce back against Sheffield next week and if so then there's a big chance for the players to redeem themselves the week after at Leigh.

15 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Having ....

I dont need to watch the game again, other than to confirm that the player seemingly in front of Sammut for the first try was making a genuine attempt for the ball and had come from an onside position and that the pen on the PTB was for not regaining feet rather than stepping over the ball(key moment in game). The ref was inconsistent and feeble but that doesnt give us the excuse not to go looking at learning from all the deficiencies in the performance you have mentioned and i couldnt have summarised them better than you have.

Mentioned last week that having watched the Rams-Bronco game, Sammut was the man to watch. Niggling, probing, good in play kicking. An old head on old shoulders.

They are a slow, old, overweight team and speed was always going to catch them out. The Cunningham and Pitts breaks from acting half back was something you only typically see on back fields at very low level.

The pitch is the least of there worries.

Mac out!

This is just one of many comments on London broncos  Fans Forum, I’ll enjoy re-quoting this ‘ IF’ we return the favour at our place-time will tell ?

Couple more comments (cos I'm a sad anorak who checks these kind of things)...

I do think the key to a lot of what went wrong on Sunday was in the timing...each team conceded seven penalties in the first half but four of the ones we conceded came after either four or five tackles, whereas five of the ones we earned came on the first or second tackle. That means we had to do far more work than they did in that first half.

Moreover, virtually all their tries came on the fifth or sixth tackle. Those lapses late in the tackle count cost us dearly, not helped by twice conceding penalties very early in the tackle count when we had the ball (the one on Richard Moore in front of their posts...if that's a penalty then there should be 100+ penalties every game, everyone plays the ball like that nowadays).

And then...they conceded TEN penalties for holding down/delaying the play-the ball. But they never seemed to come close enough together to earn a team warning, and again, seven of the ten came on the first or second tackle. They were smarter than us at knowing when to try and slow things down.

All in all a very odd game...we got what we deserved, but not sure it will have a huge amount of relevance on the rest of our season, if we learn from our mistakes, which is a big "if" admittedly!

9 minutes ago, Magic XIII said:

Putting it simply, Featherstone weren't very good. Broncos dominated them throughout the game until the last 20mins when they put the cue on the rack. Broncos should be kicking themselves for not reaching 60.

Thanks for your kind and unbiased  oppinion.Hopefully due to your early successes your home attendances may reach up to the fantastic 1500 mark and I look forward to seeing your twelve supporters in the return fixture.

43 minutes ago, Blue Pike said:

Thanks for your kind and unbiased  oppinion.Hopefully due to your early successes your home attendances may reach up to the fantastic 1500 mark and I look forward to seeing your twelve supporters in the return fixture.

The truth hurts, <bluepike> resorts to the classic pit village retort. At least the 12 will make more noise than your 100 after 2 mins into the game #silence

I served in the Suez crisis with a lot of Londoners. Mainly from the East End. They tended then, as now, to think we are all peasants up North and speak with broad Yorkshire accents. When we had trouble the commanding officer asked me to represent them as I was the only articulate person who the investigating board could understand. After that I was accepted. All I can say to the condescending tone from the London supporters is 'I book you well flash Jack' and 'Get wiv it mate'.  Time will tell, just wait and see.

SMIFFY.

57 minutes ago, Magic XIII said:

The truth hurts, <bluepike> resorts to the classic pit village retort. At least the 12 will make more noise than your 100 after 2 mins into the game #silence

Unfortunately for you lot you are the remnants of a failed experiment, the RL having been trying to get a successful club in London for around 40 years and still only left with a few hundred crowds propped up by a rich man. But you’re here so well done for Sunday and good luck for the rest of the season.

9 hours ago, Cardypaul said:

Unfortunately for you lot you are the remnants of a failed experiment, the RL having been trying to get a successful club in London for around 40 years and still only left with a few hundred crowds propped up by a rich man. But you’re here so well done for Sunday and good luck for the rest of the season.

Aye and little old pit village getting well over 2k. Clueless southern softies.

You can all give him as much abuse as you want but he is right

i was there (and ironically not many above who have posted given out the jip to the broncos fan were)

They shouldve got 60 possibly more

It was that bad especially minute 45 -60 

That was the worst 15 minutes ive seen in years but its hopefully a blip and we will be a different animal in the return fixture

54 minutes ago, elppaxr2i said:

i was there (and ironically not many above who have posted given out the jip to the broncos fan were)

That was the worst 15 minutes ive seen in years but its hopefully a blip and we will be a different animal in the return fixture

Ironically there is a thing called rovers tv now, were you can watch the full game ?.

I know i have it 

i was still there though and for all the good roverstv is - it doesnt show you the discussions, comments made and the frustrations that was displayed on the terraces - a shame that it doesnt interview supporters after the game actually on the way out - perhaps those that didnt go would have more of a truer insight into how bad it actually was 

95% that were there will agree with what the broncos fan above posted

2 minutes ago, elppaxr2i said:

I know i have it 

i was still there though and for all the good roverstv is - it doesnt show you the discussions, comments made and the frustrations that was displayed on the terraces - 95% that were there will agree with what the broncos fan above posted

They had certainly done there homework on us like. Dont think it could have gone any worse for us 1st 20, a mixture of bad luck, ref decisions, bad discipline and terrible defence just about put the game beyond us. Not getting off the bus and pace of the pitch may of took us by suprise. Sure we will turn it around when they come up fev though?

1 hour ago, elppaxr2i said:

you will get a much better and clearer view of whats going on watching the full match on rovers TV. 

Archived