New Australian RL boss - “RL must expand or die”

Copa

2 hours ago, Copa said:

Very clear statements from Peter Beattie.

Peter is a former political leader of Queensland from ‘98 to ‘07.

He knows politics and he knows rugby league.

Hopefully this attitude will be reflected in his dealings with RL bodies in other countries.

https://m.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/expand-or-die-warns-new-league-boss/3341949/

This guy must have some connections, he Just keeps getting good gigs, one after the other.

His reputation as a Politician left plenty to desire.

The  readers comments at the bottom from this media article says plenty of what many think about this man and his appointment.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/former-premier-peter-beattie-accepts-role-as-independent-commissioner-on-arl-board/news-story/c992af11ea9c2bce8b95a7887f7a4e81

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Just now, Pulga said:

Let's hope it happens.

I have to add though: Brisbane Bombers is THE worst team name anyone could imagine.

I wouldn't have thought Bombers would be a good name for any new team in any Sport to be honest.

11 minutes ago, Allora said:

I wouldn't have thought Bombers would be a good name for any new team in any Sport to be honest.

It's terrible on multiple levels. The logo is a pilot which would make a terrible mascot.

The Bombers are already an AFL team.

Not to mention that only Americans could fetishise a the military like that.

new rise.jpg

Just now, Pulga said:

It's terrible on multiple levels. The logo is a pilot which would make a terrible mascot.

All of the above.

I was thinking more the fact that whenever I hear the term "Bomber" I think of Terrorist attacks.

I remember when Brisbane Bombers had a vote for a team name that 'Bombers' "won".. some of the other options were far better (not hard). Kookaburras was my pick, but apparently fans are too silly to go for a team whose town name and team name don't start with the same letter. Bring on the Brisbane (kooka)Burras!

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

Perth, Wellington NZ. 2nd Brisbane club, Central Coast. Take your pick.

I would put money on the fact that nothing will happen for at least another 5 years.

Despite all the hype most NRL clubs are poorly run and wouldn't want a reduction in TV money

Truth be told they hype the league like it's the NFL when in reality the crowds compare to league 1 soccer apart from Brisbane.

The crowds may improve with the reduction of prices within the ANZ this year. I always thought it was weird that some Sydney derbies get only circa 6k in the ANZ. Why not just give entry to both home and away Sydney season ticket holders if the game is in the ANZ.

8 hours ago, Allora said:

This guy must have some connections, he Just keeps getting good gigs, one after the other.

His reputation as a Politician left plenty to desire.

The  readers comments at the bottom from this media article says plenty of what many think about this man and his appointment.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/former-premier-peter-beattie-accepts-role-as-independent-commissioner-on-arl-board/news-story/c992af11ea9c2bce8b95a7887f7a4e81

A number of partisan comments in there. Peter Beattie had massive election victories in Queensland and set electoral popularity records over extensive periods of time.

19 minutes ago, Copa said:

A number of partisan comments in there. Peter Beattie had massive election victories in Queensland and set electoral popularity records over extensive periods of time.

He was virtually unopposed for much of his political career as the Liberal/Nationals were a total shambles.

He was popular early on until people so through what was a slick sales style, then people wondered how he had fooled them for so long and saw what they really had.

We shall see.

12 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Is Wellington the only other potential NZ bidder? No rumours about Christchurch?

I honestly thought I read somewhere that a Christchurch based team would enter the NSW cup in preparation for an eventual franchise team playing out of Christchurch.

I'm not sure what the situation is in NZ, most "bids" have gone a bit quiet.

It's hard to know a perfect situation for a new bid, Wellington, Christchurch or a combo of both are the most talked about. Personally I think a 2nd Auckland side could give them a run for their money if the right people were involved. I know it's hard to comtemplate because Warriors are a joke at the moment, but a cross city rivalry could be huge for them.

Do you see this as a serious proposition then everyone?

The baggage of the SL wars is still there, the sharing out of the pot the NRL clubs are enjoying is still there, the club versus everything else agenda is still there. the myopia and blinkers have not been shelved.

In fact all there is, in all truth, is a person newly arrived in post putting in an opening gambit, a toe in the water really.

Perth, Adelaide, Wellington and Christchurch for me. But then again if the Roos are to maintain their dominance how could they agree to 3 NZ franchises.

All in all .... What's expansion got going for it apart from the new kid on the block?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

5 hours ago, Oxford said:

Do you see this as a serious proposition then everyone?

The baggage of the SL wars is still there, the sharing out of the pot the NRL clubs are enjoying is still there, the club versus everything else agenda is still there. the myopia and blinkers have not been shelved.

In fact all there is, in all truth, is a person newly arrived in post putting in an opening gambit, a toe in the water really.

Perth, Adelaide, Wellington and Christchurch for me. But then again if the Roos are to maintain their dominance how could they agree to 3 NZ franchises.

All in all .... What's expansion got going for it apart from the new kid on the block?

Three NZ teams?

Not sure if you know that market. 

The warriors are no sure thing going forward and Auckland IS the Kiwi market.

6 hours ago, Allora said:

Three NZ teams?

Not sure if you know that market. 

The warriors are no sure thing going forward and Auckland IS the Kiwi market.

I think there were much more serious issues than this one in what I wrote Allora.

My thoughts are NZ needs three clubs in the NRL for all sorts of reasons as well as they'd make a better fist of competing with the Rooos!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Three NZ NRL franchises would never happen, the support for RL just isn't there. The RL fanbase in NZ is basically Auckland and gradually diminishes the further south you go. Christchurch is a complete non-starter due to the immense popularity of Rugby Union down there which gets all the sponsorship and corporate money. Not to mention the city is still recovering from earthquakes. Wellington is probably the only other option.

On 2/21/2018 at 11:56 AM, Pulga said:

Kent County Cricket Club market themselves as Kent Spitfires for limited overs tournaments.

Warriors and Raiders is a nickname in some sports with logo to match.

There are probably plenty of other examples.

On 21/02/2018 at 11:59 AM, Allora said:

All of the above.

I was thinking more the fact that whenever I hear the term "Bomber" I think of Terrorist attacks.

I was more thinking of how we would say someone 'bombed' a try. 

Hardly a good association for a team. A bit like calling your team the Warrington Bottlers. 

Archived