Cumbrian lakers

Onreport

I'e hears various rumours of a new stadium to be built on Lonsdale park, this would be a hell of a lot better than at lillyhall imo. Something will be happening soon as the reds lease runs out in about 8 seasons and I (personally) can't see the council extending it.

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also fryer who was heavily involved in the planning and success of the world cup games ad DP. He will have knowledge of the marketing techniques etc that helped draw the crowds. Marwan visit can surely only be seen in a positive light. Especially with the RFL attendance, they must be taking it seriously. 

5 minutes ago, rockerlad said:

I'e hears various rumours of a new stadium to be built on Lonsdale park, this would be a hell of a lot better than at lillyhall imo. Something will be happening soon as the reds lease runs out in about 8 seasons and I (personally) can't see the council extending it.

Heard about a new stadium weeks ago.

3 minutes ago, rockerlad said:

If true hopefully not at Lillyhall and I want neither town or reds to be stuck in a stadium that is ran by the council or a management company.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but isnt that the mentality that stopped the last proposed stadium.  

2 hours ago, yanto said:

No offence but as an ex Town and Haven player the clubs and the game in the region are all on their ######. Unless new funding new ideas and new a outlook is adopted then I really do fear for the future of both clubs and the game in general. Brow supporters still follow the Brow Haven supporters will still follow Haven as will Town still follow Town but these are getting less and less and also older. A new generation has to be encouraged to engage with the game either as a fan or as an amateur player. A well run Super League club could be the answer. Local clubs had a boost in the 90s and that seemed to coincide with Town having some good seasons. Don't think the semi pro clubs performances don't have any bearing on the state of the whole game in Cumbria. A winning side at a high level will encourage more involvement from Joe public and I'm sorry to say Town and Haven are both a million miles (and pounds) of being able to achieve this. Last chance saloon to me. 

Don’t disagree with what you say Yanto what I am saying that with all the negative vibes coming from SL about clubs at our level I would rather the good Doctor had kept his powder dry without causing rumour etc etc. If he had said he was forming a side based at A, B or C, we will/will not be building a stadium etc etc I would be more convinced something will happen. However he is a self-publicist who likes to be in the limelight so this could well be a 5 minute wonder. Let’s see some concrete proposals before we all accept him as the Saviour of Cumbrian RL.

46 minutes ago, town4me said:

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but isnt that the mentality that stopped the last proposed stadium.  

Possibly. But one of the reason Koukash left Salfor was he didn't get control of the stadium and all the match day profit was going to the council/management company same at Leigh. I don' want either club losing out. Also if there is a new stadium coming is it going to be home to town, reds and a Cumbria super league side? 3 teams? I can't see that myself.

32 minutes ago, rockerlad said:

Possibly. But one of the reason Koukash left Salfor was he didn't get control of the stadium and all the match day profit was going to the council/management company same at Leigh. I don' want either club losing out. Also if there is a new stadium coming is it going to be home to town, reds and a Cumbria super league side? 3 teams? I can't see that myself.

I think he learned his lesson at Salford. Stadium income is vital to a club. I mentioned earlier that he would want/ need to be in control of the stadium finances. Don't Liverpool reserves use Widnes 4G pitch. Reds Town and the new franchise could easily all play in the same venue on a 4G pitch the only thing would be how the share of gate and catering sales monies would be allocated. Can't see your man hiring another stadium from the council or a management company to be honest That was his big point about Salford. 

3 minutes ago, yanto said:

I think he learned his lesson at Salford. Stadium income is vital to a club. I mentioned earlier that he would want/ need to be in control of the stadium finances. Don't Liverpool reserves use Widnes 4G pitch. Reds Town and the new franchise could easily all play in the same venue on a 4G pitch the only thing would be how the share of gate and catering sales monies would be allocated. Can't see your man hiring another stadium from the council or a management company to be honest That was his big point about Salford. 

Yeah agree with that.

I think some are getting a bit above themselves thinking of a stadium share with the Koukash SL franchise team  he isnt doing it to favour town over haven or barrow , he will be forming some kind of development or feeder type system with all 3 with the SL club  being his own separate venture 

7 hours ago, yanto said:

Like it or not it's coming. You will soon have three levels of rugby to support.. Amateur Semi Pro and Super League. Anyone who doesn't think this can help regenerate the whole of the game in the county need to look at the bigger picture. A semi successful SL side will bring in benefits to all levels of the game. We may even get the local TV station reporting about league!!! ;)

Yanto, you seem to have inside knowledge ? if there is to be three levels of R/L to support amateur, semi pro & S/L, are Haven & the amateur clubs being included in the current discussions ? or are they of no consequence ?

6 hours ago, Brow lad said:

All Fryer is intrested is ???

Correction eediot. 

Do.you know him ? He's all about pushing this Town onwards and upwards and improving the area. 

Let's Look at fact. 

Mark Fryer , heavily involved in new Town.centre. 

Heavily involved in new sports centre. 

Omg what a terrible, terrible man he is developing west Cumbrias premier town whilst haven meet regular to decide how to deal with seagulls on the harbour.!!!

4 hours ago, Billy Bob said:

Yanto, you seem to have inside knowledge ? if there is to be three levels of R/L to support amateur, semi pro & S/L, are Haven & the amateur clubs being included in the current discussions ? or are they of no consequence ?

Ha ha serious no inside knowledge just like everyone else on here just putting my thoughts over. Was involved in all levels of the game for years  but I have lived in Holland for twenty years so no contact in any capacity. Hate the way the game has fallen to such low standard back home and maybe from afar I shouldn't be putting my thoughts out there.. But you can take the boy out of West Cumbria but never West Cumbria out of the boy. I believe what I have previously said. The SL are going for an Aussie model. Closed shop with feeder teams in various competitions below them. Town and Haven will still have Championship /League one sides but will be developing players for the Franchise. In reality not much difference than what Kells. Red Rose, Seaton, Ellbra etc have been to Town and Haven over the years. BUT again my own thoughts, the local semi pro and amateur clubs will come under the Franchise "pyramid" with a pathway from amateur to semi pro then onto full time Super League for players with ambition. Koukash has to convince all levels of the game in the region that the ultimate goal is a successful regional SL side and once everyone realises this (and keep  their local rivalry to the Brow v Egremont and Town v Haven games then come together for the Super League side)  then I think it can be done. For example when Ellbra play Glasson there is local rivalry but the same guys come together to support Town. There is a buzz around Town at the moment with Leon and some of the signings. Imagine that buzz going county wide with a new stadium, new investment, big name signings and a SL franchise. 

Reading once again through the 8 pages of this thread it seems that the main argument against seems to be “what if it doesn’t work out”.  My answer to that (dating back to the 90’s) would be take a good look at the crowd numbers at both clubs and then look at the ages of those fans.  The youth of this part of the county have very little to look up to in our game and so we find them wanting to go and watch the top soccer teams or even Carlisle Utd.   They sure as hell don’t go to Derwent Park or the Recreation Ground in any numbers.  Meanwhile the crowds at both grounds keep dropping and dropping to the present day 400 - 500 at both grounds and mainly older men and women.  So, the “what if it doesn’t work out” people need to look at the bigger picture because it sure as hell isnt working out at present.  

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

On 3/24/2018 at 2:02 PM, rockerlad said:

Whats the feeling among red's fans regarding the new stadium ? We all know how the last proposed stadium turned out, have they seen the light and had a change of heart ? No doubt councilor  Robinson and his cronies we be planning to put the boot into this like last time. But then again those people are against any progress in this Town, they tried to stop the new sports center being built and it's been a magnificent addition to the Town, a great success. No doubt we will hear again from the self centered gym owner (you know who you are) who didn't want it built because he feared that the cafe's and coffee shops in the town would suffer due to everyone drinking in the new sports complex instead.;) I would imagine these coffee shops have seen an increase in trade because of the influx of people into the town going to the complex., don't know about the gym trade though. :tongue:

What a forward thinking council Workington as got, if councillor Robinson and the like was listened too the town would be falling to bits like Whitehaven

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

30 minutes ago, unicorn106 said:

Whats the feeling among red's fans regarding the new stadium ? We all know how the last proposed stadium turned out, have they seen the light and had a change of heart ? No doubt councilor  Robinson and his cronies we be planning to put the boot into this like last time. But then again those people are against any progress in this Town, they tried to stop the new sports center being built and it's been a magnificent addition to the Town, a great success. No doubt we will hear again from the self centered gym owner (you know who you are) who didn't want it built because he feared that the cafe's and coffee shops in the town would suffer due to everyone drinking in the new sports complex instead.;) I would imagine these coffee shops have seen an increase in trade because of the influx of people into the town going to the complex., don't know about the gym trade though. :tongue:

100% Agree. If the reds had seen sense years ago we might all be in a new stadium today. It’s highly probable that they won’t have their lease renewed at borough park because of the lack of funds and it’s current state.

Regarding the council, if it wasn’t for the forward thinking councillors then we’d probably still have that ramshackle building at moorclose as our sports centre and a 1970,s town centre!

No doubt the usual councillor luddites Robinson, Joe Sandwith, mark Jenkinson and the clown from moorclose  mr stoddart who wants to fight with everyone will be against it!

all 4 are against any sort of development in Workington for some reason. Regarding the gym owner, maybe the new sports centre has made him raise his game because he has had a monopoly for years and years and took everything for granted. 

1 hour ago, unicorn106 said:

Quite positive, but id like to think reds and town could be equal partners in a new stadium, but usually one club ends up being treated poorly. 

Our lease is up on borough park in 8 years so it maybe be matterless, you will still get folk who don't want change or to move. At our last agm/fans meeting we where told it's costing 15-20k a season just to keep borough park open. The reds have 3 teams, the juniors and reds in the community and all that alone deserves top class facilities.

Also it's a different board of directors  at reds now. These fellas don't have money to throw at the place that humpry had.

16 minutes ago, rockerlad said:

Quite positive, but id like to think reds and town could be equal partners in a new stadium, but usually one club ends up being treated poorly. 

Our lease is up on borough park in 8 years so it maybe be matterless, you will still get folk who don't want change or to move. At our last agm/fans meeting we where told it's costing 15-20k a season just to keep borough park open. The reds have 3 teams, the juniors and reds in the community and all that alone deserves top class facilities.

Also it's a different board of directors  at reds now. These fellas don't have money to throw at the place that humpry had.

Depending on the rent payable at any new stadium (although you would hope it was a sensible figure) the reds could hypothetically say have an extra £10k to spend on their team rather than an old stadium. Could be a game changer. Hopefully a bit more successful and more spectators turning up means more money for players. Reds could be a conference team before they know it. There’s certainly an appetite for it and an empathy for the reds from all over Cumbria to do well.

Sounds very positive and the club to be in workington. Might mean the end of town as we know it, but could a few sacrifices mean we get to watch a far higher standard and guarantee the survival of pro rugby in the town

the futures bright,the futures blue and white

Sounds like Marwan was approached by Allerdale rather than the other way round. Workington throwing their 'hat into the ring' offering Marwan a venue for his proposed SL brand. Very positive and forward thinking by allerdale council. Hopefully something can come from it

Archived