Easter games for Championship clubs.

Just been listening to a podcast that was saying the Championship Easter games should only be one game over the 4 day period, reason:-

THE QUALITY OF THE MATCHES COULD BE EFFECTED BECAUSE OF DUAL REGISTRATION.

Meaning that SL clubs may not risk or will have the need to keep their players "in house" should they require their services.

What a complete load of TOSH, that a professional Championship club has to be reliant on the players of another club to make their team competitive, they are actually implying that having DR players should be the norm other than the exception. 

Not taking anything away from Fev but in their recent game at Leigh, in my opinion they were the deserved winners between the two competing teams on the field, but they were ably assisted by the inclusion of three 'Guest' player's from the Rhinos who just happenend to have their game cancelled due to adverse weather conditions that weekend. 

When the MPG comes around, there are those who cry foul that this one game could be the difference between someone keeping their jobs or losing them, but does the season long use of DR players not have the same impact. It is not my intention to single out Fev for any other reason other than an example, but should they make the top 4 at the expense of a club not using DR and get rewarded with the upgrading funding awarded does that not amount to the same thing.

The system is abhorent, SL clubs should be running a reserve team.

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Just been listening to a podcast that was saying the Championship Easter games should only be one game over the 4 day period, reason:-

Meaning that SL clubs may not risk or will have the need to keep their players "in house" should they require their services.

What a complete load of TOSH, that a professional Championship club has to be reliant on the players of another club to make their team competitive, they are actually implying that having DR players should be the norm other than the exception. 

Not taking anything away from Fev but in their recent game at Leigh, in my opinion they were the deserved winners between the two competing teams on the field, but they were ably assisted by the inclusion of three 'Guest' player's from the Rhinos who just happenend to have their game cancelled due to adverse weather conditions that weekend. 

When the MPG comes around, there are those who cry foul that this one game could be the difference between someone keeping their jobs or losing them, but does the season long use of DR players not have the same impact. It is not my intention to single out Fev for any other reason other than an example, but should they make the top 4 at the expense of a club not using DR and get rewarded with the upgrading funding awarded does that not amount to the same thing.

Which three players were those?

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Think it was two, but that's just splitting hairs.

Speaking as a Fev fan, I agree with you 100%

DR should be scrapped and SL teams should run a proper reserves team. 

I fully appreciate that it's played a small part in our making the 8 in the last couple of years.  I think we only even went down that route because of the mess Flip Flop and Poskitt left us in.  We're certainly using it less now we've a few bob in the bank, hopefully it'll come to an end next year.

44 minutes ago, Feverly Hills 90210 said:

I heard Mr Beaumont moaning about us having a couple of quality Leeds players in and Mitch Clark from Cas. Then he went and got Jordan Lilley from Leeds, double standards.

I don't think championship clubs should play two games over the Eater Holidays has it gives the full time teams an even bigger advantage

Maybe the non full time teams should go full time, or drop to league one?

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

Maybe there will be no choice other than be full time for any team that has aspirations if the league format changes to 2 x 10 team leagues, AND no Dual Registration to boot.

9 hours ago, Spidey said:

Some of the better players cannot play full time due to other commitments. For example Batley benefited with players from Sheffield when they went full time.

I don't think there are sufficient players to run a championship of full time teams only. The standard would actually drop. 

Using Batley as an example again, we recently finished third with part time players, no regular dual reg either, so it doesn't necessarily follow that part time teams cannot compete.

4 hours ago, Niels said:

Some of the better players cannot play full time due to other commitments. For example Batley benefited with players from Sheffield when they went full time.

I don't think there are sufficient players to run a championship of full time teams only. The standard would actually drop. 

Using Batley as an example again, we recently finished third with part time players, no regular dual reg either, so it doesn't necessarily follow that part time teams cannot compete.

I know all that. I made a mistake in my original post due to not adding some sort of smiley to it - I wasn’t being serious

I would say as a sport the desire should be more full time teams, while there is a percieved disadvantage for part timers over Easter we shouldn’t be changing programmes just because of that. Like you say Batley can compete, so did everybody prior to SL

The only way you’d get two full divisions of FT teams would be 2x10 I guess but really think the quality would drop in those FT teams, 14 as a top FT division feels right to me

SL clubs not running reserve teams are lazy and miserly, not to mention short sighted. If they complain there isn't enough talent around and yet do nothing to help develop it, they are hypocrites. They expect everyone else to do the development work for them. 

After saying that, I'm not actually against the system, if it is used sparingly. Even with a reserve grade there may be the odd occasion a player is loaned out but over do it and it can become disruptive to the squad receiving them. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Archived