Club Statement

Havenwarrior

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why has this just come to light now? I remember being at that meeting after des left and the new BOD said they would be transparent with all the dealings within the club and they've told us next to nothing. Directors come and go with no mention to the fans either! I couldn't even tell you how many / who are currently on our board it changes that much 

Worrying times...along with Haven Swinton and Rochdale at the start of the season

Wouldn't surprise me if a few other clubs are sailing very close to the wind

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

I've been worried about the state of the game for some time.This is terrible, I'm so glad that someone stepped in. To say I'm a little concerned for the future of the game at this level is an understatement.You all have my complete support in these trying times.

Oh Ron, like I said on the Rugby League World forum, it wouldn't surprise me if more clubs will be posting more warnings. I just didn't expect this, so soon.  Keighley, great club and great friends of Barrow. I will reply to our problems but is it not time the NON professional clubs in both divisions got round a table together? I don't know what the outcome of that discussion would be, but I do know this. If every NON professional club folds in the near future, along with their area amateur and  club youth teams,  Rugby League will be dead within 5 years. How many people are prepared to pay SKY and BT to watch the same old teams, week in week out? I expect more warnings from clubs now Barrow and Keighley have had the honesty to tell the truth. If only we had an organisation with vision that actually controlled this great sport and family. Red Hall, you're silence is deafening.

Is this excerpt from the statement from Keighley true? Are Super League taking over the running of Rugby League? And has the proposal any chance of becoming reality?

"As a club we need to bear in mind that from 2021 that the Super League will be taking over Rugby League and the proposal is that there will be 20/24 clubs forming a Super League and a Super League 2 with those not involved being moved to the National Conference League as an amateur club."

3 hours ago, boat builder said:

Is this excerpt from the statement from Keighley true? Are Super League taking over the running of Rugby League? And has the proposal any chance of becoming reality?

"As a club we need to bear in mind that from 2021 that the Super League will be taking over Rugby League and the proposal is that there will be 20/24 clubs forming a Super League and a Super League 2 with those not involved being moved to the National Conference League as an amateur club."

Worrying if true. Especially as it has been issued on a day when the clubs met. Hope yourselves and Keighley get sorted soon. Credit to both clubs the statements they have issued are fairly clear about their positions. In contrast our BoD at Whitehaven have issued very confusing messages and their silence at times has been deafening.

Rugby League is struggling at all levels from grassroots to SL. Nigel Woods was like Nero fiddling whilst Rome burnt. Rimmer is not the answer and the non SL clubs need someone strong in character and with vision to take this great game forward and for all member clubs to be treated fairly and equally. 

Good luck to Barrow and Keighley, hope you get through your current problems.

The statement came as a shock when I read it on Friday but we all knew that the clubs finances are a fine balance, we want new players but we want the club to last.

I believe David Sharpe has always been honest with the fans and has the good of Barrow RLFC as his main concern. I think we have been kept informed, obviously they can't publish the bank statement every time they pay a bill.

I don't have a magic wand for the future but matches against Halifax or Keighley or Swinton or our friends up the coast are big sources of revenue balanced with realistic expectations from fans. I expect 100% effort from the players but I do not expect NRL standards of skills. I also want matches against the other teams in Championship and against clubs like Worky, Haven, Keighley, Oldham. I get no pleasure from scoring 100 points against West Wales Raiders

Shipbuilider01.png

Barrow Raiders like almost all clubs at our level have struggled for years. For the comparative short period I was finance director in the early party of the 2000s we had just the same problems. We were fortunate in having 3  club houses for the use of players. These properties were sold and eventually we were again short of money and some directors made loans to the club. During the winter time our costs were much lower and by very careful saving were able to repay most of the loans. Most of the players were on one year contracts and were only paid appearance pay and winning/losing bonus.

I have to add that I have no idea on what basis players  are paid nowadays.

I might add that we have been told repeatedly at AGMs that all current costs have been met and arrears have been settled or reduced.

This brings so many questions. Can I simplify the questions for myself and other guys I have talked to? We know about the massive past debts. We know the magnificent efforts of David and past and present board members. The fans and volunteers have done their bit as well in the past.. Simply, have all these debts been paid off or not? If they have, has that produced a situation where we are left with no money at all, hence the appeal for future money to move forward? Or are we still in debt?

I have to say, talking to fans we were of the opinion our debts were paid and we were doing quite well with the monies this season. Double the money for promotion, bigger crowds, volunteers raising money etc, so this really has come as a shock to a lot of people.

As a Brit and northerner its so sad to read this about so many of the clubs, names that |I remember as a teenager.., and yes we are fortunate here in Toronto that we have a wealthy owner I just  hope that some similarly deep pocketed individuals come forward and decide this is a sport worth saving  but in the end it comes down to fans get off their ###### from in front of the box and getting out to support their clubs week in way out and travel to rival grounds to make a racket and spend a few quid. I went to magic this year and plan on going next year and if finances permit I will take in a game or two outside of the big get togethers. come on lads and ladies!

Hi Robert, thanks for that and agree about fans getting off their whatever but you do leave yourself open when you urge fans to travel to rival grounds, on so many levels, lol. But thanks for the support.

I get your dig but maybe you guys are spoiled - if I had so many "close proximity" options to watch RL I'd be there all the time and if we get a second Canadian team in Montreal (which I think would do very well) starting in League 1 I will go and support them on a regular basis and Montreal is 320 miles away from Toronto!

The club has only had 2 home games in nearly 2 months. Having to pay wages with no income coming in has got to be one of the reasons there is a shortfall in money.

FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

Get super league teams over here for a charity match. A family fun day. Surely that will bring the crowds in. Or, bring back a Cumbria side and play a game at Craven Park. Get keighley involved also. Barrows mini 'magic'.

get shirts off em, boots shorts etc....all signed up and auction them at the ground or on eBay.

come on think quick and outside of the box.

get it sorted.

Looking at the fixtures it seems to me that during May & June we have had 3 home games & 3 away games together with a blank day for the CC. This is pretty well normal. In many ways we were lucky that the Dewsbury game originally postponed was played in May. In addition one of the away games was the Blackpool bash.

On 6/30/2018 at 5:59 PM, RobertAM said:

I get your dig but maybe you guys are spoiled - if I had so many "close proximity" options to watch RL I'd be there all the time and if we get a second Canadian team in Montreal (which I think would do very well) starting in League 1 I will go and support them on a regular basis and Montreal is 320 miles away from Toronto!

Hi Robert, let me get this right. We are spoilt? Do you know where Barrow is? And as a Toronto 'fan' you would travel over 300 miles to support another team? Are you serious? No really, are you serious?

Yep was in Barrow in May after Magic. cousin lives in Windermere, went for a toot in his new car. And yep deadly serious.

Smart ######

Why don't the club consider selling the DVD or email a video file for all the away games to spectators for a small fee ? you have 1200 home spectators and only a small % go away , surely there is a market there for very little expenditure as I know all matches have to be videoed?

Archived