Wolfpack - Superleague 2019

RobertAM

sobering article...hopefully SL makes the right decision...

www.theroar.com.au/2018/07/17/super-league-really-going-refuse-entry-toronto/

This article has been discussed on the "Toronto" thread on the main forum. Here were my thoughts:

Mascord is just quoting the Elstone and Hudgell interviews with a sensation headline. Good trade journalism, but pure speculation.

To be fair to both Elstone and Hudgell, neither of their interviews read like that to me.

They read as caution about TWP rather than over-exuberance.

Mr Mascord has a long record as an uber-expansionist. Sometimes his admirable enthusiasm can cloud his objectivity.

He has also rowed back on some of this. In particular, it is NOT a decision for SL to make. They ceded that right when they abandoned licensing in the face of the very obvious fact that some of their number could not/would not comply with the conditions necessary.

Not sure the Top 6 teams in SL have a problem. They are likely to see Canada as a massive opportunity rather than a threat to their status. 

It is an RFL decision...and given that the many of the Championship want Toronto next year like a bucket of cold sick...it would probably help everyone if they came through the Middle 8's in full accordance with the rules of the competition as everyone understood them before the season started.

But then again this is RL. Welcome! Nothing is ever simple here.

The whole thing is stupid.  It's pretty bush league tbh.

Toronto have a massive upside, tonnes of room for future growth as an organization as well.  

A comparison would be with TFC who started playing in front of 12-13k fans in a pop up stadium.  They now play in front of 30k and are one of the wealthiest clubs in MLS.

Super League needs to expand otherwise the sport will fade in to irrelevancy.  There is nothing super about Super League right now.

1 hour ago, CanadianRugger said:

The whole thing is stupid.  It's pretty bush league tbh.

Toronto have a massive upside, tonnes of room for future growth as an organization as well.  

A comparison would be with TFC who started playing in front of 12-13k fans in a pop up stadium.  They now play in front of 30k and are one of the wealthiest clubs in MLS.

Super League needs to expand otherwise the sport will fade in to irrelevancy.  There is nothing super about Super League right now.

According to Mascord SL are worried about TWP's longevity. There are clubs already in SL who could quite easily fall over tomorrow. If TWP are blocked I think that will be it for me. I'll leave the Neros to fiddle while their empire burns.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

According to Mascord SL are worried about TWP's longevity. There are clubs already in SL who could quite easily fall over tomorrow. If TWP are blocked I think that will be it for me. I'll leave the Neros to fiddle while their empire burns.

All but the top seven or eight clubs are basically one bad season away from folding.  I'm a Rugby Union guy but have always been in to NRL and NRL just seems to be a heck of a lot more professionally run than the English game. 

I can't see the SL Chairmen refusing Toronto to be honest.  I think that David Argyle is a person they would want within their circle and pulling in a similar direction, not being antagonised outside of it.  I don't think as much has been heard of regarding followup clubs over here this year as any investors currently mulling it over will be watching what SL does with Toronto; if they close ranks then all the potential of North America goes with it.

17 minutes ago, CanaBull said:

I can't see the SL Chairmen refusing Toronto to be honest.  I think that David Argyle is a person they would want within their circle and pulling in a similar direction, not being antagonised outside of it.  I don't think as much has been heard of regarding followup clubs over here this year as any investors currently mulling it over will be watching what SL does with Toronto; if they close ranks then all the potential of North America goes with it.

I would say you are right.  If they close ranks on Toronto than they can kiss New York, Boston and a Second Canadian team good bye.  Maybe that suits some but it certainly doesn't bode well for bringing more money in to the sport.

Putting the rugby itself to one side for a moment, as far as SL Chairmen are concerned this is also an opportunity to grow their brands in an $80bn per year market to raise their own profile and value, purely from a brand recognition standpoint.  As much as SL is a foot in the door for Toronto, Toronto is also foot in the door for SL.

I guess in a couple of months we'll know whether they are willing to risk what they have or protect what they've got.

15 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Are we not supposed to know much much sooner than a couple of months.....like very soon?

I'm  expecting this to be resolved by next week, so all teams know what they are playing for before Qualifiers begin.

38 minutes ago, Cameron Highlander said:

Are we not supposed to know much much sooner than a couple of months.....like very soon?

I hear end of July mentioned so likely JWPF is right they cannot dilly dally on this...

55 minutes ago, mickhornet said:

How many TWP fans do you think would fly to England to watch a SLgame?

I don't see why that matters but many of us would go once in a while. How many per away game on average? Several to dozens.

If you are suggesting that away fans are a necessary part of a club's business model, then you have lost me right there.

1 hour ago, mickhornet said:

it's not our job to fill your stadium is it? but nevertheless when we play away people come out in higher numbers so we might not bring away fans, but we do bring back local absent fans.

2 hours ago, RobertAM said:

I hear end of July mentioned so likely JWPF is right they cannot dilly dally on this...

i believe they need to make the decision before the Fev game and last week they were having their meeting discussing Toronto according to Elstones  interview on whippets and flat caps.

5 hours ago, mickhornet said:

.a few went to games around the league, a good number to magic and summer bash and it will pick up  in a similar manner to the increased number of fans coming to Toronto.of that I am confident. if you want to help the numbers to grow make the hospitality mirror what we are doing for fans coming here.  word of mouth sure helps

On 7/18/2018 at 9:48 AM, dixiedean said:

and given that the many of the Championship want Toronto next year like a bucket of cold sick

All the traveling fans, players and coaching staff seem to really enjoy it if their social media is accurate.

20 hours ago, Copa said:

All the traveling fans, players and coaching staff seem to really enjoy it if their social media is accurate.

I was not meaning to imply they didn't. I was referring to the owners/officials who seem to think it is too expensive/complicated. We have heard some complaints. Let alone the fact that TWP will win the Championship by a street again if they are in it next year.

20 hours ago, dixiedean said:

I was not meaning to imply they didn't. I was referring to the owners/officials who seem to think it is too expensive/complicated. We have heard some complaints. Let alone the fact that TWP will win the Championship by a street again if they are in it next year.

Cannot see how it is complicated, follow the rules, go to the airport, get on a plane and 7 hrs later there you are.Millions of people travel for business every year and have been doing it since the dawn of flight. if we want RL to grow, maybe overtake RU and become an international game played by many countrys get onside, if you want it to stay small or even shrink moan about it and your wish will come true.

20 minutes ago, RobertAM said:

Cannot see how it is complicated, follow the rules, go to the airport, get on a plane and 7 hrs later there you are.Millions of people travel for business every year and have been doing it since the dawn of flight. if we want RL to grow, maybe overtake RU and become an international game played by many countrys get onside, if you want it to stay small or even shrink moan about it and your wish will come true.

I could not agree with you more. 

Archived