Oldham at home

Fenton Knight

Brilliant win yesterday and great support up in soggy Cumbria. But that means nothing unless we win on Sunday against fellow promotion hopefuls Oldham. If all goes to plan this will be our penultimate home game so one definitely not to miss. Oh, and it will be an extremely tough encounter against one of the best sides in the league. Would be brilliant to stack BC out and get the David Longhurst open and make the place rock and create a magical atmosphere to cheer the lads on to another victory. ? With a lot of folk back from their hols and the fact that we are fast approaching the business end of the season I am going for a crowd of 2,000 plus.

Up the Knights!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Fenton Knight said:

Brilliant win yesterday and great support up in soggy Cumbria. But that means nothing unless we win on Sunday against fellow promotion hopefuls Oldham. If all goes to plan this will be our penultimate home game so one definitely not to miss. Oh, and it will be an extremely tough encounter against one of the best sides in the league. Would be brilliant to stack BC out and get the David Longhurst open and make the place rock and create a magical atmosphere to cheer the lads on to another victory. ? With a lot of folk back from their hols and the fact that we are fast approaching the business end of the season I am going for a crowd of 2,000 plus.

Up the Knights!

Hi Dave 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Really don't know much about Oldham, I wasn't at the away fixture. I know they can be dangerous away from home, they won 32-10 at Workington and won at Halifax in the Challenge Cup 27-6.

But then you look over the last few months and they've also lost at Newcastle, Doncaster and Keighley.

One game at a time I guess, Oldham can spring a surprise if the York players approach the match thinking they've won, another professional performance needed. Would be tempted to stick with near enough the same lineup and not rush any players back like JBF and Mazive.

Crowdwise, Oldham's home support has really dropped off this season, avg is 460 down from 792 last season, not sure if they take many away, would be good to push for 2,000 but I think we'll be looking at 1,500-1,600.

And just to prove it can be done, Mrs FK has just this minute agreed to turn out too. First game this season and, thinking on, probably her first game since I took her to the Don Valley in about 2008. Result! ?

That 2,000 target is getting ever closer! 

It will cost me drinks in York afterwards and probably food. ? Small price to pay.

13 minutes ago, Fenton Knight said:

This is where promotion of the game comes in, pushing for that extra 25% to break through 2,000. I am already working on my wife’s mate and her husband. He knows James by all accounts. Bring a relative, bring a mate, bring yourself!?

Wonder if we’ll see the return of the travelling sandwich board around town on the lead up to this one or any other media led promotions via twitter. It put several hundred on the gate at Derwent Park at the weekend. This is a big one. One we must win. Need all the vocal support we can get.

Beer and York Knights. Proof the God loves us and wants us to be happy. 🍺🏉

6 hours ago, georgeb1 said:

Totally agree, tell a mate , tell anyone let's make some noise at the crescent, our players deserve 2 big send offs to the championship.

When the knights go marching on???

Spot on George, unless travelling to Hemel the likelihood is that there are only two more opportunities this season to give the players a big send off to the Championship after a truly superb season. 

Beer and York Knights. Proof the God loves us and wants us to be happy. 🍺🏉

8 hours ago, Fenton Knight said:

Up the Knights!

Just an update guys ... it’s still raining . Watched a great article on the news about the drought . It was in some other country called England I think 

2 hours ago, spanishknight said:

Also the game is being streemed so I cant see many coming over, 1650 is my prediction 

Do we get any dosh for being streamed? Don't get me wrong, it was brilliant to watch the game on Sunday (did miss Andy's commentary though) and I will be able to see the Oldham game which would not otherwise have been possible. BUT if it affects the takings on the gate is it necessarily a good thing? Makes you wonder.

3 hours ago, Fenton Knight said:

And just to prove it can be done, Mrs FK has just this minute agreed to turn out too. First game this season and, thinking on, probably her first game since I took her to the Don Valley in about 2008. Result! ?

That 2,000 target is getting ever closer! 

It will cost me drinks in York afterwards and probably food. ? Small price to pay.

The call has gone out on Twitter, and it’s gathering pace. @YorkKnightsRLFC @Lambi63 #WeAreYork150

Harry Gration has already confirmed he will be in attendance. ?

4 hours ago, AB Knight said:

Really don't know much about Oldham, I wasn't at the away fixture. I know they can be dangerous away from home, they won 32-10 at Workington and won at Halifax in the Challenge Cup 27-6.

But then you look over the last few months and they've also lost at Newcastle, Doncaster and Keighley.

One game at a time I guess, Oldham can spring a surprise if the York players approach the match thinking they've won, another professional performance needed. Would be tempted to stick with near enough the same lineup and not rush any players back like JBF and Mazive.

Crowdwise, Oldham's home support has really dropped off this season, avg is 460 down from 792 last season, not sure if they take many away, would be good to push for 2,000 but I think we'll be looking at 1,500-1,600.

Watching on the livestream mate. Your right about our attendances or lack of them. We don't get crowd's any more,more like a large gathering. I think the town's losing its love for the game. If it carries on like this we won't have a club in a couple of years. Pity really considering we helped create the game.

29 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Watching on the livestream mate. Your right about our attendances or lack of them. We don't get crowd's any more,more like a large gathering. I think the town's losing its love for the game. If it carries on like this we won't have a club in a couple of years. Pity really considering we helped create the game.

Always a shame to see at any level of the game, I'm guessing the numerous home grounds over the years hasn't helped in Oldham's case but probably no other option. Hopefully a bumper crowd against Bradford in a few weeks when Scott Naylor is the latest ex Bull to get one over them will help bring a few back.

31 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

New ownership needed at Oldham. I can confirm it works wonders. 

http://www.alldesignandprint.co.uk

Printing & Graphic Design with Nationwide Service

Programmes Leaflets Cards Banners & Flags Letterheads Tickets Magazines Folders | Brand Identity plus much more

Official Matchday Programme Print & Design Partner to York City Knights, Heworth ARLFC, York Acorn RLFC & Hunslet RLFC

Official Player Sponsor of Marcus Stock for the 2020 Season

2 hours ago, Simon Hall said:

New ownership needed at Oldham. I can confirm it works wonders. 

2 hours ago, AB Knight said:

Always a shame to see at any level of the game, I'm guessing the numerous home grounds over the years hasn't helped in Oldham's case but probably no other option. Hopefully a bumper crowd against Bradford in a few weeks when Scott Naylor is the latest ex Bull to get one over them will help bring a few back.

I worry about the game as a whole,I know at York it's going really well for you and I'm happy for you all after that other bloke owned the club. But if you look across the game attendances are on the slide. Only 50k at the challenge cup final for god's sake,not good. People seem to be walking away for whatever reason,it's a little concerning.

9 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

I worry about the game as a whole,I know at York it's going really well for you and I'm happy for you all after that other bloke owned the club. But if you look across the game attendances are on the slide. Only 50k at the challenge cup final for god's sake,not good. People seem to be walking away for whatever reason,it's a little concerning.

Don't you think the attendance was low due to the fact that one team was from out of the UK and didn't bring a big following, If 2 UK teams had been playing there would have been more support at the game, Bringing other teams in from out of the UK is not working there is no support coming over and little support traveling to the away games. 

If you read some of the reports of the game, you will see why more supporters from Catalan were unable to make the trip. Having the final so soon after the semi-finals gives no one chance to save up, the final was over a bank holiday weekend when travel and accommodation prices are at a premium, and they are a working class town like so many in the rugby league family.

18 hours ago, William Webb Ellis said:

Do we get any dosh for being streamed? Don't get me wrong, it was brilliant to watch the game on Sunday (did miss Andy's commentary though) and I will be able to see the Oldham game which would not otherwise have been possible. BUT if it affects the takings on the gate is it necessarily a good thing? Makes you wonder.

.. and I missed talking to you  ???.

10 hours ago, trig said:

Don't you think the attendance was low due to the fact that one team was from out of the UK and didn't bring a big following, If 2 UK teams had been playing there would have been more support at the game, Bringing other teams in from out of the UK is not working there is no support coming over and little support traveling to the away games. 

Fair point about the  non UK team thing,I don't like foreign teams in our competition's anyway. However I was down at Wembley last year at the challenge cup final and there were loads of empty red seats,it didn't look good but it didn't stop me enjoying myself.

22 hours ago, AB Knight said:

I've been watching Oldham since we had watersheddings.Now they were the days. It seems a lifetime ago.

Archived