22 Sept: Super 8s: Warrington Wolves v St Helens KO 3.15pm (TV)

Who will win?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Warrington Wolves
    • St Helens
    • Draw

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/09/18 at 14:00

Just now, Saint 1 said:

It might not be Warrington's year.

Well, obviously next year is Warrington's year.

As it has been since 1895.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Despite his lack of size, Regan Grace's defence has been very good today. An aspect of his game that's improved since his debut.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, Futtocks said:

Despite his lack of size, Regan Grace's defence has been very good today. An aspect of his game that's improved since his debut.

Agreed on his improved defence. However, that was a pretty lackluster attack with non of the Wire players in the build up taking the ball to the line and passing too early.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

2 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

They were Champions as recently as 1955 to be fair. 

He's really improved, though his decision-making is still a bit questionable at times. I do worry about teams targetting him aerially though - fortunately Percival is pretty good in that regard.

He's pretty good at obstructing the opposition as they come in to make their tackles on Grace that's for sure.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

5 minutes ago, Saint 1 said:

This has been Fages best game this year - I'm not a fan of playing him at loose and don't rate him as a halfback, but he has been good today.

I would struggle to choose between Barba and Lomax today, but the people who don't rate Lomax have rocks for brains. 

I like Lomax a lot, when he's on top form. But he has had some occasional ineffective performances over the years, even when fully fit.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

We are very poor and getting worse as the season goes on. Our attack is awful; on that evidence our defence is catching up quickly.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

15 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

We are very poor and getting worse as the season goes on. Our attack is awful; on that evidence our defence is catching up quickly.

We had more ball in that game and looked terrible with it. I know we had some shuffling to do but I still maintain we are too negative a team. 4th is a decent finish but I've been very bored in a lot of Wire games this year.

25 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

8 minutes ago, Dave T said:

We had more ball in that game and looked terrible with it. I know we had some shuffling to do but I still maintain we are too negative a team. 4th is a decent finish but I've been very bored in a lot of Wire games this year.

I thought they started off OK and but for the odd lack of concentration I thought there was very little between the two teams in the first half. However, they seemed to go off the boil for the middle of the second half when they conceded a glut of points. That seemed to knock their confidence, as from then on they often looked lost with ball in hand and blew what should have been decent chances.

Loosing the two halves won't have helped. A lot of work to do if they are to turn it round in a fortnight's time, but not impossible.

I'm still confused as to how that last Warrington score was awarded given that the ball was on the line but aside from that I was happy to see us looking a bit more like the earlier part of the regular season in attack.  Still need to work harder in defence as conceding in the last minute or so like that could mean a loss in the semi finals so our attitude still needs to pick up.  Having said all that, some of our tries were wonderful to watch and there may be a sign of Barba wanting to play again which helps.  What is more helpful though is having Fages in the side, and Morgan and Peyroux back again.  Those guys all matter to the team and we miss them when they are not playing.

For a meaningless game that was some match!  (I just hope Saints don't lose Lees to a ban - he really does need to learn how to be his great dynamic forward self but more careful at the same time)

Some nice tries there by saints . Looking more like the part again .They also just look like they’ve got Wire’s number , and a spot in the GF awaits them which I’d say is what they’ve deserved for their season . Winning it on the day is something else 

6 hours ago, dkw said:

It's a problem with Lees that he's so all in, needs to be a bit more careful. Chris Hill is a whiney dick now though. And Kevin brown definitely doesn't like Richardson. 

Either doesn’t like him or likes going after the little lad when the fight starts. 

Very pleasing performance today, probably our best since May. Warrington probably had better territory in the first half, but our defence was great. Lomax handled Murdoch-Masila well, Grace's tackle of Charnley was magnificent and to almost hold out for 10 minutes with 11 men was pleasing.

We had a clinical side to our attack which we haven't had for some time. Nice to see us scoring some great tries and playing with a smile on our face.

I thought Lees was harshly done too. If that was a yellow card, then I can't see why Peyroux wasn't sin binned in the second. Lees is entitled to run in to make a tackle, as Roberts wasn't tackled. He was running quickly and couldn't feasibly stop. But there was contact with the head (although Roberts was falling), so I understand why a penalty was given, but a yellow was harsh. If Warrington don't run in, then I don't think further action would have been taken.

This result doesn't mean anything come the semi-final, but I'd rather go in to it with a comfortable win in a warm-up for the semi final! Play like that and I'm confident we'll get to Old Trafford, but we need that big performance again!

Archived