Match Thread: Championship Shield Final: Featherstone Rovers v Leigh Sunday 7th October 2018

marklaspalmas

Possible line up:

1 Ian Hardman

2 Shaun Robinson,

3 Harry Newman

4 Misi Taulapapa,

5 Luke Briscoe

6 Martyn Ridyard

7 Matty Wildie

8 Luke Cooper

9 Keal Carlile,

10 Sam Brooks,

11 Josh Hardcastle,

12 Connor Farrell,

13 James Lockwood,

14 Dakota Whylie,

15 Danny Maskill,

16 Spencer Darley

17 Jimmy Beckett

John Davies SUSPENDED

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Apparently two Leigh players went on holiday and didn't even let the club know, haven't been paid so aren't interested in playing, wonder if they, ll be paid before the final? 

Heard self and same Nigel, makes you wonder doesn’t it ?

Im Fev and im proud

Think they have given this season up as a bad job. Their two recent results are not Leigh as we know them. I already have my ticket for the Final and hope our team plays to its best.

1 hour ago, Maureen T-k said:

Heard self and same Nigel, makes you wonder doesn’t it ?

Yeah, shame for supporters but you reap what you sow and when they were beating everyone in front of them us many times, we all knew it wouldn't last forever.

2 hours ago, hoolifan27 said:

Leigh managed 13 players on sunday and then 12 when one went off injured

Be surprised if they raise a team

I spoke to someone at the game and he said they played the last quarter with eleven players.

5 hours ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Apparently two Leigh players went on holiday and didn't even let the club know, haven't been paid so aren't interested in playing, wonder if they, ll be paid before the final? 

Bergel and dezerior apparently the two French lads they signed haven’t been paid since being at the club and have just gone home 

when you think of it like that you can’t blame em 

I’m no Leigh fan but the fans deserve better 

1 hour ago, MADREDNIGE said:

Yeah, shame for supporters but you reap what you sow and when they were beating everyone in front of them us many times, we all knew it wouldn't last forever.

If you slightly amend the words of a well known song, my message to them is:-

"You're not t'best team forever, pull yourselves together!"

Mixed stories about our missing players. Bergal and Dezaria rumoured to have been paid off and gone. The club line is that Bergal was injured and Dezaria didn't turn up. Matty Dawson said to be injured, or refused to play! (taker your pick!)

Yesterday, Kevin Larroyer tweeted that some of the lads played for nothing yesterday.

Personally, I'm not having it that all these players are injured, although Evans, Reynolds, Hood, (he was there watching) Mason, Richards, Cunningham, Adam Walne and now Dagger definitely are injured. Reynolds should be back, and an outside chance of  Mason and/or Walne. Cox couldn't get time off work, so may be back, and Peet has gone off to Australia.

My view is that yesterday was a disgrace, expecting thirteen to play for 80 minutes, especially from a health and welfare perspective - although you guys seemed to go well with 14 against us! In your case, you had players who genuinely couldn't play, whilst we had some who appear to have refused to play because they haven't been paid. And I don't blame them, one iota!

The lads who turned out yesterday, many playing with knocks, and many out of position, were all heroes, but were hopelessly outclassed by Dewsbury. Luckily, the ref was very compassionate, and allowed frequent stoppages, to give our guys at least some recovery time! (when did Ryan Bailey last do 80 minutes, and poor Mick Higham was well knackered!)

I'd like to think we could give you a good game in the final, but fear a very bad defeat. (for us, obviously!)

1 hour ago, AlanE said:

Mixed stories about our missing players. Bergal and Dezaria rumoured to have been paid off and gone. The club line is that Bergal was injured and Dezaria didn't turn up. Matty Dawson said to be injured, or refused to play! (taker your pick!)

Yesterday, Kevin Larroyer tweeted that some of the lads played for nothing yesterday.

Personally, I'm not having it that all these players are injured, although Evans, Reynolds, Hood, (he was there watching) Mason, Richards, Cunningham, Adam Walne and now Dagger definitely are injured. Reynolds should be back, and an outside chance of  Mason and/or Walne. Cox couldn't get time off work, so may be back, and Peet has gone off to Australia.

My view is that yesterday was a disgrace, expecting thirteen to play for 80 minutes, especially from a health and welfare perspective - although you guys seemed to go well with 14 against us! In your case, you had players who genuinely couldn't play, whilst we had some who appear to have refused to play because they haven't been paid. And I don't blame them, one iota!

The lads who turned out yesterday, many playing with knocks, and many out of position, were all heroes, but were hopelessly outclassed by Dewsbury. Luckily, the ref was very compassionate, and allowed frequent stoppages, to give our guys at least some recovery time! (when did Ryan Bailey last do 80 minutes, and poor Mick Higham was well knackered!)

I'd like to think we could give you a good game in the final, but fear a very bad defeat. (for us, obviously!)

makes me smile when people go on about playing with only 13 and health and safety, jesus us amateur players been doing that for years, i had to play 80 mins at Ovenden other year at 48, 

9 minutes ago, gingdong said:

makes me smile when people go on about playing with only 13 and health and safety, jesus us amateur players been doing that for years, i had to play 80 mins at Ovenden other year at 48, 

In our Championship winning season of 1976-77 we played nine games in the space of 24 days at one stage, this included one 8-day spell spell where we played Leeds on Sunday, Widnes on Wednesday, Wakefield on Good Friday and Cas on Easter Monday, all with just two subs one of whom was invariably a back.

And in 1974 before we played our Challenge Cup semi final against Leigh we played four games in 8 days, then had a 5-day break before the semi final, then the day after we played Leigh again in the league! And just to make sure the players were kept busy we had to play at Warrington 3 days later.

I know the game has changed a lot since then, but still...

I recall a match at Halifax probably 1965 or 1966 when Fev were reduced to 9 players with sendings off and injuries in a top 16 play off game. Fev lostsomething like 36-6. Lots of teams had to suffer sendings off and injuries when the game was thirteen a side with no subs

12 hours ago, gingdong said:

Agree with this I’ve played amateur where you were upset if you were subbed ok professional level is quicker tougher etc but the players are fitter faster etc as for this health and safety ######  do me a favour it’s rugby league 

any semi professional club today should be able to pick 13 or 14 guys to at least give a performance after all are we not always told there athletes? 

The way Alan E is cackling on the players will be getting a 21 gun salute when they leave the pitch not to mention nominations for bravery awards 

So with confirmation that Davies and Thackeray are both out suspended, that presumably leaves us with 15 players if as expected Briscoe and Newman are available, three of whom are wings.

It's hard to imagine Robinson or Whylie playing anywhere other than wing, so my guess is that we'll stick Briscoe in at centre, along with Newman, put Hardcastle in Davies' position on the right edge, and use Misi as part of the rotation of the middles, his main usefulness is as a battering ram from first receiver anyway.

Archived