Sign in to follow this  
Northern Eel

Grand Final Crowd

5 minutes ago, Padge said:

used to play for the Locker Cup as a pre-season warm up.

That used to be our grand final, how times change ?

Edited by Desert Skipper

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

The Northern Rail strike I know is putting a few off going. 

People who usually make a day of it, going in and out of Manchester on the train are concerned about getting stranded in Manchester and then having to fork out for a taxi.

The sort of 'fans' I am talking about are the irregulars who like the event and the day out.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

6 hours ago, Padge said:

People who usually make a day of it, going in and out of Manchester on the train are concerned about getting stranded in Manchester and then having to fork out for a taxi.

The sort of 'fans' I am talking about are the irregulars who like the event and the day out.

Seems like there's a rail strike every week. There's pretty much no way of avoiding them at the moment! 

I could be wrong, but I think I remember seeing that when there is an international series in the UK then the GF crowd can be down a couple of thousand as you may be affect number of neutrals.

I do think there is the fact that the novelty wears off pretty quickly as we see the same teams over and over. This is Wire's 4th final in 10 and Wigan's 6th - this fixture isn't he third time this will have been played in the last decade. I remember when Wire first got to Wembley a decade ago, tickets were like gold dust, people queuing for miles. Lethargy does set in and these games are not must-attend events. People can't justify just spending money that maybe they haven't even got, because it may be a one-off.

I think this is a factor in the semi crowds for Saints and Wigan - they playbin them pretty much every year.

I'm not sure there is much you can do about it for the regular fans, this is where we need to just keep working hard on neutrals, but then we have tens of thousands of neutrals.

Evening it doesn't selling, Old Trafford always looks great even with 65k in as they are up in the Gods.

7 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Forgot about Magic. Sixth! Absurd. 

If a similar situation arose in the incoming format they could meet twice in the play offs giving a possible seven meetings in one season.

rldfsignature.jpg

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I could be wrong, but I think I remember seeing that when there is an international series in the UK then the GF crowd can be down a couple of thousand as you may be affect number of neutrals.

I do think there is the fact that the novelty wears off pretty quickly as we see the same teams over and over. This is Wire's 4th final in 10 and Wigan's 6th - this fixture isn't he third time this will have been played in the last decade. I remember when Wire first got to Wembley a decade ago, tickets were like gold dust, people queuing for miles. Lethargy does set in and these games are not must-attend events. People can't justify just spending money that maybe they haven't even got, because it may be a one-off.

I think this is a factor in the semi crowds for Saints and Wigan - they playbin them pretty much every year.

I'm not sure there is much you can do about it for the regular fans, this is where we need to just keep working hard on neutrals, but then we have tens of thousands of neutrals.

Evening it doesn't selling, Old Trafford always looks great even with 65k in as they are up in the Gods.

You’ve started drinking early Dave.

rldfsignature.jpg

9 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Isn’t this the fifth game between Wire & Wigan this year? 70k wouldn’t be a bad crowd 

Yeah. People don’t like repeat fixtures remember ?

8 hours ago, Odsal Outlaw said:

I’m going as a neutral (well a neutral that hopes Wire win) but interestingly a mate at work who is a Wire fan isn’t going with his reason being that his last couple of experiences at OT have been ruined by too many drunk people in ground and fighting by fans.  Now, I can be guilty of being a ‘drunk person at a RL final’ myself but I wonder if there is any merit in having small ‘alcohol free’ zones to see the uptake.  I won’t be in them obvs.

As a Wire fan both my parents and the in laws aren’t going specifically because they don’t like the atmosphere of Old Trafford on Grand Final night, they say it’s a bit ‘edgy’ for them. I can understand that to an extent - i considered  not taking our 7 year old for the same reason, he’s coming though. They both wouldn’t dream of missing Wembley though despite the addditional cost of travel and staying over.

id also agree that the number of finals we’ve been in over the last few years does have an effect. Plenty of my extended family aren’t going this time as the novelty factor has worn off a bit. I wouldn’t miss it for the world 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Padge said:

Train to Preston by Virgin and train to Manchester by Transpennine would avoid that.

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

36 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Train to Preston by Virgin and train to Manchester by Transpennine would avoid that.

What time is the last bus from Manchester to Wigan? 

Four legs good - two legs bad

On the train point, it only seems to be a few affected, any more knowledgeable people than me know if they are confirmed on national rail.co.uk does that mean they are running?

Ivetrued asking national rail by social media with no joy!

5 minutes ago, Dave T said:

On the train point, it only seems to be a few affected, any more knowledgeable people than me know if they are confirmed on national rail.co.uk does that mean they are running?

Ivetrued asking national rail by social media with no joy!

National Rail have said there are reduced services between 9am & 6pm  - I'm not sure what's happening after 6pm

East Midland & Arriva Trains Wales are still running which services Warrington - just may be busy - you may see Wigan Fans jumping on Virgin to Bank Quay then getting a connection to Manchester

• Thanks 1

I’d forgotten about the international series Dave.   That would certainly affect the neutral attendance.

Even if we are 7k short, the ground won’t look or sound empty like Wembley did this year.

“There is perhaps no better a demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world.”   Carl Sagan

The Grand Final has been in the 66k - 74k range for years now and I see this year being no different. The rail strike will undoubtedly make things a nightmare though and may well have some affect with neutrals.

• Like 1

The weekend just got more expensive for us coming from Workington on friday and calling at Swinton on Sunday to watch TOWN hopefullyreach the championship if we can raise team 

24 minutes ago, Spidey said:

National Rail have said there are reduced services between 9am & 6pm  - I'm not sure what's happening after 6pm

East Midland & Arriva Trains Wales are still running which services Warrington - just may be busy - you may see Wigan Fans jumping on Virgin to Bank Quay then getting a connection to Manchester

yeah, when I try to book tickets to Newton-le-Willows it allows me to as it is the Chester route, but if I want the Liverpool route it has the warning. So I have no idea whether I am safe to book the tickets without a warning as they are confirmed.

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

I was sking for a friend.?. There are other ways to get to and from OT other than train.

Why aren't you berating Padge for suggesting that cancelled trains will put people off?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Desert Skipper said:

The day I have to sit next to someone from TOWIE at a rugby league match is the day I quit the sport...   and I’m an expansionist! 

Wot, even if she has a 38 C cup?  Or would you be upset by the chewing gum?

• Haha 1

In agreement with Dave T and Alffi, I also believe the novelty factor wearing off has an affect on some fans not attending the big finals.  This years Warrington crowd at Wembley must have been the lowest of recent trips and I know many who didnt attend for various reasons.

As for OT, I dont like the place and it does have an edge of GF day. Unlike Wembley which can be a great build up and mixing with other fans. OT is not a modern stadium by any means and by extending the ground so many times I find the place to be quite clostrophobic especially before entering the seating areas. I would personally be happy for the GF to be moved to the Ethiad for example.  Just my opinion anyway.

I think Old Trafford creates a wonderful atmosphere for Grand Final, but it does surprise me how difficult it is to get to and from there, plus the surrounding area is an absolute dump now they have got rid of the pubs from the area - something I only discovered when I had got to the stadium last year. And the fanzone was God-awful meaning you couldn't get in, have a pee, or get a beer. ALthough I did notice a fanzone at the cricket ground where I will probably head this year.

I do like the GRand Final evenings, and have been to many as neutrals, but not sure it is somewhere I will rush to take my daughter when she is a bit older, I don't find it too family friendly, although I do note they have family sections, so maybe that is better.

Despite all of the above, I am looking forward to Saturday!!!!

• Like 1