Anglian Vipers

2 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Now I vaguely remember the Kings Lynn side, correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t they have a large proportion of Lithuanian players?

Initially. Some big lads amongst them. Tailed off towards the end I think (post-Brexit vote), a reliance on RU players at West Norfolk that didn’t quite work out, and the Dunn family likely fatigued from running it saw the club disband. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Initially. Some big lads amongst them. Tailed off towards the end I think (post-Brexit vote), a reliance on RU players at West Norfolk that didn’t quite work out, and the Dunn family likely fatigued from running it saw the club disband. 

I think it had tailed off before the Brexit vote, iirc. I think the Lithuanian National team played a match against a Welsh side a few years back and it was mainly KL players though. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eddie said:

I think it had tailed off before the Brexit vote, iirc. I think the Lithuanian National team played a match against a Welsh side a few years back and it was mainly KL players though. 

They played the Dragonhearts (Welsh amateurs) at Cardiff Arms Park. A great day! 

• Like 1

I remember the short iteration of the Norwich City Saxons. Who can tell me which of these teams I knew quite wel (or teams that replaced them)l still play in the East…

Norwich saxons

Kings Lyn

Cambridge Eagles

Bury St Edmunds

St Ives Roosters (the smell of that ground still haunts me)

Eastern Rhinos

Colchester (almost exclusively from the forces)

Bedford Tigers 

St Ives played some games in 2021, but didn't complete the season in the East Rugby League. Bedford Tigers ran two mens sides last year and a women's team, and hope to add a second womens team this year. Eastern Rhinos still going too. Ten teams in the East RL for 2022, with some clubs from the East playing in the southern conference too. Plenty of Essex teams - Brentwood, Southend, Canvey Island.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Anyone interested in either coming along to play or help out as a volunteer in any role they feel enthusiastic will be welcomed with open arms. AVRL have secured a home venue at Wymondham Rugbby Football Club where they have great facilities. The club is starting in East RL and there is a drive to develop the club to reach sustainability as soon as possible and develop relationships that will give opportunities to everyone.

This is not going to be a "one man band" as there are 3 founders (Directors of a Ltd Compnay) and 4 other volunteers plus a Coach! What we need, like any other club, is around 30 players to help us meet our first aim which is to complete all planned fixtures.

Get in touch if you're interested: chris.wildish@virgin.net

Edited by Chris Wildish
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Chris Wildish said:

Anyone interested in either coming along to play or help out as a volunteer in any role they feel enthusiastic will be welcomed with open arms. AVRL have secured a home venue at Wymondham Rugbby Football Club where they have great facilities. The club is starting in East RL and there is a drive to develop the club to reach sustainability as soon as possible and develop relationships that will give opportunities to everyone.

This is not going to be a "one man band" as there are 3 founders (Directors of a Ltd Compnay) and 4 other volunteers plus a Coach! What we need, like any other club, is around 30 players to help us meet our first aim which is to complete all planned fixtures.

Get in touch if you're interested: chris.wildish@virgin.net

Excellent news! I will keep a keen eye on your progress!

My humble opinion/adivce, having started a few teams myself over the years: don't be disheartened if you do not reach thst magic 30 number right off the bat (most likely scenario). If you can muster enough players for a 9 vs 9 match, do that. Give them a taste and some incentive to keep turning up to training. And pretty soon, I am sure you will see the numbers rise. 

Good luck with everything! 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
On 12/01/2022 at 16:25, Harry Stottle said:

Get Anglian Windows to sponsor them, they could be called the "Chamois" you know from the Window Vipers............

I'll get my coat.

That was brilliant 'arry. The funniest thing you've ever said. I'm still laughing as I grind out this post. LOL. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posting here rather than community game as seems more relevant

First nice to meet Eddie, the type of person who is doing something for the game rather than moaning what ought to be done, and as with many clubman, an enthusiast who take time to find and chat to visitors. 

For the benefit of Hopping mad, also programme editor and bought a few copies to show my delight at the effort being made

Visitors were Bedford Tigers A team, a great club, I saw them once in Coventry, against the Dragons, when they travelled with 10 and borrowed others but refused to let down opposition. 

They had adequate numbers today and although comfortably ahead at half time, the score flattered them. The second half was different, primarily RL experience and fitness the factors. Talking too much to Eddie and another lad from Norwich, I know through a non league football forum, I am not certain of the score and thought one conversion was missed but the whistle was blown. 22 70 is close to the actual score.

Anglian play at Wymondham ( pronounced Wyndham ) RU. Excellent facilities and what we should aspire to in the conference but to me featureless especially on pitch 3.

The town itself would be a tourist centre in other parts of the country and very pleasant to stroll through.

I am sure Anglian will improve and do realise the strength of the opposition today. Like other areas the East needs sides to not just join but become established. With players from many RU clubs and a large hinterland and easy access, I can’t see why not

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

East RL Cup quarter final in Wymondham today. North Herts Crusaders led 24-12 at half time but the Vipers came back to win 48-38, to record their first ever win in their third match. Respect to both sides for playing such a hard fought game.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Crusaders only played with 12 men as one of the lads had to referee the game at the last moment as, for some reason, the original ref didn't show (or was injured).  I suspect the North Herts Crusader player was the only one there qualified to do the job.  A great shame the Vipers didn't play with 12 also.

26 minutes ago, londonbronco said:

Crusaders only played with 12 men as one of the lads had to referee the game at the last moment as, for some reason, the original ref didn't show (or was injured).  I suspect the North Herts Crusader player was the only one there qualified to do the job.  A great shame the Vipers didn't play with 12 also.

That's really poor when the only reason the other team was down to 12 is because one of the players was refing.

27 minutes ago, Damien said:

That's really poor when the only reason the other team was down to 12 is because one of the players was refing.

He should have played and refereed at the same time like the teacher in Kes. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, londonbronco said:

Where did you get this info from @londonbronco

What actually happened is that North Herts turned up with 11 and the Vipers lent them two players so they had 13. The ref pulled out on the morning of the game so North Herts’ coach (who isn’t a player) kindly offered to referee the game. One of the Vipers players scored North Herts’ first try too. 

Edited by Eddie
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Damien said:

Yep agreed, it would have been really poor if it had happened. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Yep agreed, it would have been really poor if it had happened. 

Fair enough, I was only going off the post I replied to. Thanks for the correction and it sounds like both clubs acquitted themselves well.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Where did you get this info from @londonbronco

What actually happened is that North Herts turned up with 11 and the Vipers lent them two players so they had 13. The ref pulled out on the morning of the game so North Herts’ coach (who isn’t a player) kindly offered to referee the game. One of the Vipers players scored North Herts’ first try too. 

Here... https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=436845401775468&set=a.135549011905110

⚫️🟡 EAST CUP DEFEAT FOR KNIGHTS 🟡⚫️

The Knights travelled up to Wymondham today to take on newly formed @anglianvipersrl in the quarter finals of the East RL Cup.

An incredibly brave effort from 12 man Crusaders, with Big Tony having to step into the Referee role at the last minute, the boys can hold their heads high and be proud of their performance.

Thanks to Vipers for their hospitality, and we wish them all the best of luck in the semi finals against Bedford Tigers. We look forward to the League fixture in a few weeks time.

1 hour ago, londonbronco said:

Here... https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=436845401775468&set=a.135549011905110

⚫️🟡 EAST CUP DEFEAT FOR KNIGHTS 🟡⚫️

The Knights travelled up to Wymondham today to take on newly formed @anglianvipersrl in the quarter finals of the East RL Cup.

An incredibly brave effort from 12 man Crusaders, with Big Tony having to step into the Referee role at the last minute, the boys can hold their heads high and be proud of their performance.

Thanks to Vipers for their hospitality, and we wish them all the best of luck in the semi finals against Bedford Tigers. We look forward to the League fixture in a few weeks time.

I’m sure they had 13 mate, as they had two Vipers players to take them to 13 (respect to them for travelling without a full team to keep the game on btw).  Maybe one of them got injured during the game so they went down to 12, will investigate. Big Tony is definitely their coach not a player also.