Fitness Thread

30 minutes ago, JonM said:

I did the Oxfam trailwalker a few years ago - 62 miles (100km) over the South Downs Way. Last 20 miles were spent promising myself I would never do it again.

I’ve had the same feeling myself when in the latter stages of a long distance event. After a cup of tea and a slice of cake at the finish I used to then think, ‘well it wasn’t all that bad’

47 minutes ago, JonM said:

I did the Oxfam trailwalker a few years ago - 62 miles (100km) over the South Downs Way. Last 20 miles were spent promising myself I would never do it again.

Type 2 fun.

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Going to do some difficult X country terrain on the skis over the next 2 days....about 40-50 k.  I like to go at a fairly steady clip so should be some nice sweating going on and calories being burned.....long live the Winter! 

• Like 1

Just got back from the first long X Country ski leg....crashed 3 major times...last time near end of circuit...came in with fresh  blood all over my face and dripping down my nose, sore ribs from hitting a tree  and a sore lower back from hitting a rock; all at high speed.

Out again for Round 2 tomorrow morning.

• Like 2

Went to boxing training, last night.

Then drank.

Now, off to rugby training.

This is not a sensible sequence.

• Haha 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

16 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Went to boxing training, last night.

Then drank.

Now, off to rugby training.

This is not a sensible sequence.

One out of three ain't bad.

• Haha 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Tiny Ginger, who is somehow now 10 and has opinions, is in the mood for parkrun.

10 year olds cannot do parkrun alone.

Thus, for the first time since The Incident, I am going to attempt some running.

When you speak of me, speak well.

• Thanks 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Tiny Ginger, who is somehow now 10 and has opinions, is in the mood for parkrun.

10 year olds cannot do parkrun alone.

Thus, for the first time since The Incident, I am going to attempt some running.

When you speak of me, speak well.

Good luck!!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

3 hours ago, Bob8 said:

Good luck!!

Well, I survived. Over 10 minutes slower than my best and over 7 minutes slower than my last run about six weeks ago. But I got to the end and I seem to be more or less intact. I'll take that as a victory right now.

(Tiny Ginger came in 66th. His old man followed him home 169 places later ...)

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

The last couple of weeks every time I come to Bob's gym it's closed and I can't train ?

I am genuinely confused!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shvagerfm.Pushups&hl=en

It is open for you here!

• Haha 1

Ache in the legs from yesterday. 

Press ups:

38-24-18-14-66. 

A slight improvement. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Damien said:

Stuck in a hotel the next few days so just done Bob's 100 press up app posted above. 26 first up on the test.

Also in a hotel! 

Managed a couple of runs in Spain at the weekend but also ate too much. +0.7 kg as a result. Back on it now but will do some carb loading on Saturday ahead of the Retford Half on Sunday.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Rowing intervals - 6 rounds of 3mins at 1:45 pace, 2 mins rest in-between.

Struggled in the middle rounds and averaged ~1:50 instead.

Finished with 3 one min sprints at <1:40 pace

Edited by MattSantos
  • Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

19 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Rowing intervals - 6 rounds of 3mins at 1:45 pace, 2 mins rest in-between.

Struggled in the middle rounds and averaged ~1:50 instead.

Finished with 3 one min sprints at <1:40 pace

Struggling is the important bit.