Fitness Thread

2 hours ago, MattSantos said:

500 swings again. 6000 to go before end of April, so only 4 more rest days.

I will have to get up to your pace!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Missed posting the pushups yesterday: Week 4 day 1: 21, 25, 21, 21, 32+ (45 actual).  My moobs hurt ?

165lbs dead on the weight, up 1.3lbs from last week.  Ate a fair amount this weekend and the extra fluid retention from using muscles that I haven't used for a while in the pushup challenge has no doubt contributed, so I'm pretty pleased with it only going up as much as it did!

Small victories.  Celebrate 'em.

• Thanks 1

Week 5, day 1:

36-40-30-24-40+(42)

Truely to failure, I could not complete 43 on the last set.

80.8kg and I was pushing every gram.

I trust @bobbruce and @Bedford Roughyed are ready for tomorrow?

Edited by Bob8
  • Like 3

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, CanaBull said:

Missed posting the pushups yesterday: Week 4 day 1: 21, 25, 21, 21, 32+ (45 actual).  My moobs hurt ?

165lbs dead on the weight, up 1.3lbs from last week.  Ate a fair amount this weekend and the extra fluid retention from using muscles that I haven't used for a while in the pushup challenge has no doubt contributed, so I'm pretty pleased with it only going up as much as it did!

Small victories.  Celebrate 'em.

Well, you beat me on the last set! ?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

Week 5, day 1:

36-40-30-24-40+(42)

Born ready

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

Week 5, day 1:

36-40-30-24-40+(42)

Impressive numbers again Bob can see why you might struggle on that last set. As for mine I’ve caught my elbow on the Scaff at work today so hoping that eases off a bit tomorrow or it’s going to be a struggle. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Impressive numbers again Bob can see why you might struggle on that last set. As for mine I’ve caught my elbow on the Scaff at work today so hoping that eases off a bit tomorrow or it’s going to be a struggle. 

I am taking long breaks, I really am at my limit.

I agree about the elbow, no point in aggrevating it.

8 minutes ago, CanaBull said:

I get points taken off for less weight and going off knees, not looking forward to week 5! LOL Tomorrow is going to be challenging enough!

Points only get taken off for bad form.

• Like 1

23-Mar 30-Mar 06-Apr 15-Apr   Week
Gain/Loss
Total
Gain/Loss
Shadow   87 87 87.2 87   -0.2 -0.4
Bedford Roughyed   153.2 153.1 154.5 155.1   0.6 8.3
Moose   69.8 69.8 69.9     -69.9 -68.95
Gingerjon   87 82.5 81.5 81   -0.5 -1.5
Tim2   79.7 80.5 80.5 80   -0.5 -1.3
Wiltshire Rhino   135.26 135.26 135.26     -135.26 -133.36
Bobbruce   85.4 86 86     -86 -89.54
Niels   70.76 70.76 70.76     -70.76 -71.67
Matt Santos   118 117 117 118   1 0
Damien   104.8 105.5 106.1 106.1   0 -1.85
Bob8   81.4 78.9 79.3 80.8   1.5 1.5
Saint 1   85 85 85     -85 -87.2
CanaBull   71.67 72.94 73.57 74.84   1.27 -0.09
  • Thanks 1

Week 1, day 2 = 6, 8, 6, 6, 9

• Like 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Push ups week 4 day 2: 25, 29, 25, 25, 36+ (44 actual)

Feckin dying lol, last three workouts I've gone over my initial test number which is pretty encouraging!

Edited by CanaBull

3 hours ago, MattSantos said:

5000 swings done

5000 before the end of the month to go.

Looking good!

I was going to do weights but my knee felt swollen when I was warming up so I didnt bother. Then I was going to do nothing.

Then I thought to just do the Sally's and did 1:52 on bring Sally up push ups and 1:44 on the leg raises. Both new records.

I then decided because I had started i may as well do a bit of a circuit, 2 mins on a punch bag, then 2 mins exercise e.g burpees, 1 min rest x4 and a 10 minute walk to cool down. All a bit random but something I will continue and refine a bit and add to as a 3rd form of training with my existing weights and cardio days.

• Like 1

On 21/03/2020 at 12:51, Bob8 said:

Alright, I am posting this unless I get access to my gym again:

https://hundredpushups.com/

I've never taken gym type fitness seriously in my life, but have always been able to do 20-30 the odd time I've tried. 

Or so I thought.... turns out I can do about 3/4 at the moment! Nothing really has changed, I'm not heavier and I'm actually fitter cardio wise than I've probably ever been. I've always lacked upper body strength but no more so than ever before.

Think I might just give this a go, although I always find press-ups so uncomfortable.

• Like 1

I've actually managed to hit my 5k personal best during lockdown (23:46), a few years after last beating it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not particularly fit and to many it isn't impressive, but it was a strange feeling knowing that that day was the fastest I've ever been able to run a 5k, a distance I've ran for a couple of decades and one where I've recorded my time for around the last 8/9 years.

I'm not 100% sure what has been the contributing factor. I've been running steadily for over a year but just a couple of weeks ago (about two weeks into isolation) I felt like I was really plateauing and complaining to my running group about how my running was really lethargic. The past couple of weeks, I've started doing a bit of fartlek running (which I've been meaning to for years) and also Joe Wicks steadily with the kids. His workouts aren't particularly taxing but it does mean I'm doing leg strengthening exercises everyday so there is a chance it has helped. Other than that, conditions were perfect and I just felt good getting up, some days it works some days it doesn't.

I'm planning on trying for my 10k PB tomorrow but it is probably less likely than the 5k was. Incredibly, the last 3 10ks I've attempted in a proper setting (a race or a park), I've managed 50:12, 50:12 and 50:10. The last one was just 2/3 weeks ago and at the same place I'll be trying tomorrow. My PB is 49:21 so it'll be a big ask especially as social isolation and healthy eating are much more difficult to control. 

I saw somebody tweet about a week back saying that lockdown is making them simultaneously fitter and fatter. That's exactly how I feel.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I've actually managed to hit my 5k personal best during lockdown (23:46), a few years after last beating it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not particularly fit and to many it isn't impressive, but it was a strange feeling knowing that that day was the fastest I've ever been able to run a 5k, a distance I've ran for a couple of decades and one where I've recorded my time for around the last 8/9 years.

I'm not 100% sure what has been the contributing factor. I've been running steadily for over a year but just a couple of weeks ago (about two weeks into isolation) I felt like I was really plateauing and complaining to my running group about how my running was really lethargic. The past couple of weeks, I've started doing a bit of fartlek running (which I've been meaning to for years) and also Joe Wicks steadily with the kids. His workouts aren't particularly taxing but it does mean I'm doing leg strengthening exercises everyday so there is a chance it has helped. Other than that, conditions were perfect and I just felt good getting up, some days it works some days it doesn't.

I'm planning on trying for my 10k PB tomorrow but it is probably less likely than the 5k was. Incredibly, the last 3 10ks I've attempted in a proper setting (a race or a park), I've managed 50:12, 50:12 and 50:10. The last one was just 2/3 weeks ago and at the same place I'll be trying tomorrow. My PB is 49:21 so it'll be a big ask especially as social isolation and healthy eating are much more difficult to control. 

I saw somebody tweet about a week back saying that lockdown is making them simultaneously fitter and fatter. That's exactly how I feel.

It's funny you should mention that. Before I had my meniscus operation I did a fair bit of running and I used to run for 40 mins or so max. However the best I ever ran was the first time I ran after doing the insanity workout DVD which is all about anaerobic interval training and strengthening. After doing that DVD I felt fitter and faster than I ever did and ran for 1hr. That was after not running at all for 6 weeks. The gains were phenomenal. I then had my op and have never run since!

• Like 1