Jump to content

Fitness Thread


Recommended Posts

10 mile run in to work this morning. Beautiful weather for it.

  • Like 3

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 minutes ago, Moose said:

I can sympathise with you, constipation is very uncomfortable.

TMI but the painkillers I was on have a certain side effect.

Christ.

  • Sad 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, gingerjon said:

The softest of gym visits: exercise bike and cross trainer. Gentle times.

Still, the first properly active movement since mid January.

I had a gym visit today also. Bike is always good. 

74 kg today. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, gingerjon said:

TMI but the painkillers I was on have a certain side effect.

Christ.

The medicos leave that right off the memo.  Never thought I’d even consider balancing laxative intake for the rest of my days let alone have to actually do it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

154.9kgs this week.  Fluctuating around the same point.  Can't say I'm doing much to change that right now, so as long as its not going up...

  • Like 2

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Moose said:

Weight 65.50 kilos, a loss of half a kilo. Probably down to walking everyday so far this week due to the exceptional weather, 35 miles in 5 days so far.

 

 

you're just showing off now :tongue:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Shadow said:

you're just showing off now :tongue:

Not really, before my knees started playing up I was for many years a member of The Long Distance Walkers Association. An association made up of numerous ldwa’s located across the UK. Every Sat/Sun numerous walks/events are held varying in length from 20 miles up to 100 miles. The events are well marshalled with check ins every few miles plus a team of “sweeper-uppers” to round up any strays?Some events attract up to 500 participants and are extremely competitive. These events are open to both walkers and runners and prizes are awarded.

Personally I’ve completed the Lyke  Wake Walk many times (40 miles).I’ve also completed a double LWW (there and back, 80 miles) twice. I’ve walked/climbed/run the Yorkshire Three Peaks numerous times, 24 miles with a best time of 5hrs 15mins.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Moose said:

Not really, before my knees started playing up I was for many years a member of The Long Distance Walkers Association. An association made up of numerous ldwa’s located across the UK. Every Sat/Sun numerous walks/events are held varying in length from 20 miles up to 100 miles. The events are well marshalled with check ins every few miles plus a team of “sweeper-uppers” to round up any strays?Some events attract up to 500 participants and are extremely competitive. These events are open to both walkers and runners and prizes are awarded.

Personally I’ve completed the Lyke  Wake Walk many times (40 miles).I’ve also completed a double LWW (there and back, 80 miles) twice. I’ve walked/climbed/run the Yorkshire Three Peaks numerous times, 24 miles with a best time of 5hrs 15mins.

I might have to look into that, my marathon running days are coming to a rapid close, 29th April will be my last. I have in the past taken part in events like the Swanton Morley marches as a civilian and Nijmegen Marches when I was still serving and thoroughly enjoyed them, I'll see what lord Google has to say about the LDWA. Thanks for the idea. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking at inverse pressups.

Lie on your back and gently push arms upwards.

3 sets of 20 per arm, take the rest of the day off.

I'm interested in that drive, that rush to judgment, that is so prevalent in our society. We all know that pleasurable rush that comes from condemning, and in the short term it's quite a satisfying thing to do, isn't it?

J. K. Rowling

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I might have to look into that, my marathon running days are coming to a rapid close, 29th April will be my last. I have in the past taken part in events like the Swanton Morley marches as a civilian and Nijmegen Marches when I was still serving and thoroughly enjoyed them, I'll see what lord Google has to say about the LDWA. Thanks for the idea. 

When we were kids, our Dad spent many years volunteering on the Fellsman, he did it once and said that was enough!  We'd spend an April weekend with him up there generally getting wet through up Park Rash.  Maybe that might be a challenge for you?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, CanaBull said:

When we were kids, our Dad spent many years volunteering on the Fellsman, he did it once and said that was enough!  We'd spend an April weekend with him up there generally getting wet through up Park Rash.  Maybe that might be a challenge for you?

The Fellsman is a fiendish challenge, one I’ve never attempted. I believe it’s something like 50 miles over open moorland countryside and most of it done during nighttime. Competitors are grouped together as night falls, no one is allowed to travel on their own while it is dark, hidden checkpoints have to be located during the night. I know a few who have entered The Fellsman, not many of them completed it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Moose said:

The Fellsman is a fiendish challenge, one I’ve never attempted. I believe it’s something like 50 miles over open moorland countryside and most of it done during nighttime. Competitors are grouped together as night falls, no one is allowed to travel on their own while it is dark, hidden checkpoints have to be located during the night. I know a few who have entered The Fellsman, not many of them completed it.

From the stats, out of around 350 who generally start, 80 or so will be stopped or voluntarily retire.  Very tough race in April across what can boot-suckingly soggy ground.  They have a good website with a ton of info, 61 miles and 11,000 vertical feet of slog.

Amazing that top athletes will run it 12 hours, fit as lops those lot.

When I think of it though, I get the overwhelming smell of bacon and porridge ? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One other thing with it is that much of it goes across private land that’s only open for the Fellsman weekend so there aren’t paths or tracks to follow.  There are always some lost folks that need mopping up as their map skills weren’t up to snuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Shadow said:

you're just showing off now :tongue:

Probably just the results of a haircut and toe-nails cut 

  • Haha 1

I'm interested in that drive, that rush to judgment, that is so prevalent in our society. We all know that pleasurable rush that comes from condemning, and in the short term it's quite a satisfying thing to do, isn't it?

J. K. Rowling

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  Shadow Matt Santos Bedford Roughyed Wiltshire Rhino Gingerjon Moose Bob8 tim2 Saint 1 Canabull Niels
Week 1 93.5 116 156.5 135.6 84.9 66 78.9 76   98.88  
Week 2 93.5 116 155.4 134.26 89.9 66 83.9 76 82 96.61  
Week 3  93.1 115 155.6 131.1 82.55 66 88.9 76 87 97.39 72.57
Week 4 93.4 116 155.4 131.1 79.37 66 80.1 76 82.5 98.43 73.03
Week 5 93.1 116 154.3 132 79.37 66 78.4 74.5 82.5 95.7 73.94
Week 6 93.4 116 155.5 132 DNR 66 78.4 74.6 DNR 96.61 73.48
Week 7 92.5 116 154.9 132 DNR 65.5 79.1 "up a bit" DNR 95.03 74
                       
loss/gain -0.9 0 -0.6 0 TBA -0.5 0.7 TBA TBA -1.58 0.52
Mercury 34.97 43.85 58.55 49.90   24.76 29.90     35.92 27.97

 

As it's the first day of spring I've taken us all to Mercury for some warm weather training.

DNR =  Did Not Report, I will arbitrarily decide that 4 on the trot gets you bumped off the spreadsheet.
Tim2 only reported "Up a bit" not any actual figures .

I'll make adjustments until 4pm today then it's set in stone until next week.

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Moose said:

61 miles and 11,000 uphill, now I remember why I never entered ?

I did the Oxfam trailwalker a few years ago - 62 miles (100km) over the South Downs Way. Last 20 miles were spent promising myself I would never do it again.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...