Fri 1 Feb: SL: Hull KR v Hull FC (Sky) KO 7.45pm

Who will win?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Hull KR
    • Hull FC

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/02/19 at 19:45

Rovers were hanging on for a lot of the second half and struggled to make much ground inviting Hull back at them. When Dawson-Jones stole the ball and went down hurt it gave Rovers the chance to get the defence set when a quick PTB would have had us in trouble and could well have scored. Garbutt was great, Keinhorst more than made-up with being at fault for the Faraimo try and when Quinlan is back we will have good depth in the halves with Atkin, McGuire and Drinkwater although Dagger night get a chance as Atkin did struggle at times tonight.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sheesh! :sad:

I think I'd rather have had us getting a panning than losing like that. We didn't lose the game at the end, we lost it in the latter stages of the first half. Rovers were gifted far too much possession and territory with penalties for stoopid actions when we could easily have gone in 0-18 up with better discipline. As MZH (I think) commented, put Kelly, Connor or Miloudi in Washbrook's shoes last night and we win, I reckon.

I already thought we were in for a long season before last night's game and, as Dimmest Star suggests, I think both clubs will really struggle.

Can anybody tell me why Hull had to drop out from under their sticks after a Rovers kick through hit the heel of Matongo's boot before going dead? Did Thaler honestly believe Masi was trying to back heel the ball, did another Hull player make a play at it, or is it yet another new rule that's been brought in? :huh:

Talking about new rules, on the positive side, our game looks a lot better product with that clock thing to stop any pratting about in terms of time wasting. If Sky could just accompany the image of the descending numbers with this music then it would be perfect...

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

21 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Sheesh! :sad:

I think I'd rather have had us getting a panning than losing like that. We didn't lose the game at the end, we lost it in the latter stages of the first half. Rovers were gifted far too much possession and territory with penalties for stoopid actions when we could easily have gone in 0-18 up with better discipline. As MZH (I think) commented, put Kelly, Connor or Miloudi in Washbrook's shoes last night and we win, I reckon.

I already thought we were in for a long season before last night's game and, as Dimmest Star suggests, I think both clubs will really struggle.

Can anybody tell me why Hull had to drop out from under their sticks after a Rovers kick through hit the heel of Matongo's boot before going dead? Did Thaler honestly believe Masi was trying to back heel the ball, did another Hull player make a play at it, or is it yet another new rule that's been brought in? :huh:

Talking about new rules, on the positive side, our game looks a lot better product with that clock thing to stop any pratting about in terms of time wasting. If Sky could just accompany the image of the descending numbers with this music then it would be perfect...

With the drop out I think he thought Shaul knocked it out but on the couple of viewings I saw I don’t think he touched it. I was one of those decisions were because the ref had sent it up as a drop out the VR had to be certain it wasn’t to change it. 

9 minutes ago, hotstepper said:

Can anyone please briefly tell this antipodean why Hull has two teams... is their a river , bridge or train tracks that seperate them or what is the story...? thanks..

There is a river, not surprisingly, it's the River Hull.

Oh, and a gulf of class. B)

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

29 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

With the drop out I think he thought Shaul knocked it out but on the couple of viewings I saw I don’t think he touched it. I was one of those decisions were because the ref had sent it up as a drop out the VR had to be certain it wasn’t to change it. 

I think Thaler saw a deflection of some sort hence the request to the VR. Surely he can’t have thought Shaul took it dead as the replays showed Thaler about five yards away with an unobstructed view? Having said that I still can’t fathom how the VR came to the conclusion he did. Interesting also that the clearest view of the ball clipping Matongo’s heel wasn’t shown until after the decision had been made.

rldfsignature.jpg

16 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

There is a river, not surprisingly, it's the River Hull.

Oh, and a gulf of class. B)

Kings Town on the river Hull.=Kingston upon Hull.Last nights game contained quite a few errors from both sides but it was entertaining in my view.Glad to see the Hull FC players seem to have recovered from last years frightfull ending.

18 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I think Thaler saw a deflection of some sort hence the request to the VR. Surely he can’t have thought Shaul took it dead as the replays showed Thaler about five yards away with an unobstructed view? Having said that I still can’t fathom how the VR came to the conclusion he did. Interesting also that the clearest view of the ball clipping Matongo’s heel wasn’t shown until after the decision had been made.

Tbf, from the last view they showed I thought Masi did deliberately flick his heel at the ball and it was a drop out. But as you say, it was very difficult to see that from the angles the VR used. Unless he was watching different things to what we were seeing? 

24 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

I didn’t think it was when the ball hit Matongo because I don’t think he was playing at the ball it just hit him so that shouldn’t matter. 

7 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Glad to see the Hull FC players seem to have recovered from last years frightfull ending.

I was never really concerned about that tbf. It's so hard to motivate/get motivated when there is nothing to play for and you are carrying a knock and there is no one available to come in an freshen the side up. I always expected a good response in terms of attitude and effort, and I think at the very least we got that. 

We just need a win from somewhere to get the confidence flowing again. 

As much as I love Jake Connor he really owes us after last night. I thought Sneyd got some great quality service out to Washbrook but he just didn't have the ability to do anything with it. I think Connor would have picked that Rovers left edge apart. 

9 hours ago, RayCee said:

That's because you're from Hull. To you, Lancashire folk talk queer. 

To us, everybody west of Howden talks queer.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

11 hours ago, snapski said:

Not been to Cas today, old man’s got some problems. Preston v Derby kicked off same time and lasts 5 mins a half longer. 

That game kicked off at the same time as the Hull Derby went for a break before kicking off second half. Video ref took far too long making a decision.

Best wishes to you and yours, snappers.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

8 minutes ago, MZH said:

I was never really concerned about that tbf. It's so hard to motivate/get motivated when there is nothing to play for and you are carrying a knock and there is no one available to come in an freshen the side up. I always expected a good response in terms of attitude and effort, and I think at the very least we got that. 

We just need a win from somewhere to get the confidence flowing again. 

As much as I love Jake Connor he really owes us after last night. I thought Sneyd got some great quality service out to Washbrook but he just didn't have the ability to do anything with it. I think Connor would have picked that Rovers left edge apart. 

Agree with all of that. I thought Sneyd had a very good game and looked in great shape but several promising attacking moves died because he lacked a supporting half back. Put Connor in at 6 and we would probably have put that game to bed.

Last night didn't shake my optimism for the season ahead. We were seconds away from the perfect start and there's a lot of improvement still in the squad. Can't wait to see Connor and Kelly back and there's some genuine size in the pack still to return. Matongo will take some shifting from the side though. Looked as if he'd had a great off season and is ready to step up to another level.

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Wonder how long Lee Radford will last. They don’t look the best coached side. Plenty of effort, to be fair

Depends how long we keep losing. For me, if we aren't at least knocking on the door of the top 5 by Easter then we make the change. But I aren't too disappointed with what I saw last night. There was effort as you say, and positive intent, even if the execution wasn't the best. I still think we can be dangerous when we have Connor available and Kelly fit and Bowden, Green and Westerman to stiffen up the middle. But we could really do with digging out a couple of results to keep us in touch in the mean time. 

53 minutes ago, sentoffagain2 said:

Kings Town on the river Hull.=Kingston upon Hull.

Indeed

Renamed as such by King Edward I and ignored by the unruly locals ever since.

Archived