Jump to content

Brits in the NRL


Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Davo5 said:

I really find it strange to see the level of criticism levelled against a 20 yr old British player who has travelled to the other side of the world to test himself in the NRL and has been more successful than most other,more experienced British outside backs have over the last decade.

It is pretty clear that there are people on here who want him to fail, if only so they can be vindicated.  I find that quite depressing. 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


4 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

Spot on. He's massively out performed the NRL stint of current England winger Ryan Hall, for example.

Even someone as good as Hall was would struggle to score trys if he's both injured and his team mates refused to pass to him - that more or less summed up his time in the NRL.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Sorry, I don't understand this point.

Makinson is is our best winger and proven over many years.  Young is doing exceptionally well in a tougher competition. 

Why can't we be happy we have both of them (and others).

You were the one who compared them. Young is a good player but very unfair to compair against someone as good as Makinson.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

You were the one who compared them. Young is a good player but very unfair to compair against someone as good as Makinson.

I was simply using one aspect of wing play (something that Makinson is rightly lauded for) to demonstrate to people on here how well Young is performing.

He is playing in a poor side that creates few chances but has taken his tries well and in particular his carries from his own line have been very good.  

When we see a 20 year old English lad breaking as many tackles as the likes of To'o, Tupou and Addo-Carr I don't understand why people cannot say well done and instead try to find every fault they can in him... some obviously just made up.

  • Like 10

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

Even someone as good as Hall was would struggle to score trys if he's both injured and his team mates refused to pass to him - that more or less summed up his time in the NRL.

Or he left it too late going there & was too old & slow to have a real impact on the NRL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Unless my rose tinted glasses have steamed up in my excitement , I’m watching Dom Young week in week out against all these top names who will tear him apart and imo he’s done remarkably well and just got better and better as the seasons gone on and looked more and more assured and at home in the toughest rugby school there is . In fact he’s been not only a shining light in a poor team , he’s been one of the standout NRL wingers in terms of quality and consistency . I’m bemused why then considering that it’s a big leap to consider him internationally . We need new young fresh blood , we’ve got two down there get them both in . What’s gone before is hardly stellar 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Unless my rose tinted glasses have steamed up in my excitement , I’m watching Dom Young week in week out against all these top names who will tear him apart and imo he’s done remarkably well and just got better and better as the seasons gone on and looked more and more assured and at home in the toughest rugby school there is . In fact he’s been not only a shining light in a poor team , he’s been one of the standout NRL wingers in terms of quality and consistency . I’m bemused why then considering that it’s a big leap to consider him internationally . We need new young fresh blood , we’ve got two down there get them both in . What’s gone before is hardly stellar 

It's crazy logic isn't it.  He is performing week in week out in the NRL and yet people are arguing that he will be found out when he comes up against the quality of players England will face from... (wait for it)... the NRL.

  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

It's crazy logic isn't it.  He is performing week in week out in the NRL and yet people are arguing that he will be found out when he comes up against the quality of players England will face from... (wait for it)... the NRL.

Given we’ve had the likes of Sarginson & Lyne named in Wane’s squads I don’t think a 20 yr old try scoring NRL winger is a major risk especially  as we’ve lost McGillvary & Johnstone & had a soon to be 35 yr old Hall partnering Makinson in the All Stars game.

I’m sure Jamaica are looking forward to seeing him play for them though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Davo5 said:

I really find it strange to see the level of criticism levelled against a 20 yr old British player who has travelled to the other side of the world to test himself in the NRL and has been more successful than most other,more experienced British outside backs have over the last decade.

Most of the criticism isn't necessarily at Young, more at some of the posters on here continually creaming themselves over him and calling for him to be picked for England at the WC just because he's gone to play in the NRL and didn't stay in SL. Just because he's gone to the NRL doesn't make him a great player and doesn't automatically make him international class and ready for an England call up for the WC.

Young does have some talent, but is still vey raw and make an awful lot of rookie mistakes and errors. Not just handline errors & missed tackles but poor reads of the play which many young inexperience players do.  He still needs a lot more development before he reaches the level required for an England place.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Saint Toppy said:

Most of the criticism isn't necessarily at Young, more at some of the posters on here continually creaming themselves over him and calling for him to be picked for England at the WC just because he's gone to play in the NRL and didn't stay in SL. Just because he's gone to the NRL doesn't make him a great player and doesn't automatically make him international class and ready for an England call up for the WC.

Young does have some talent, but is still vey raw and make an awful lot of rookie mistakes and errors. Not just handline errors & missed tackles but poor reads of the play which many young inexperience players do.  He still needs a lot more development before he reaches the level required for an England place.

As we have established already on this thread, your views on him are based on some things you made up about his debut for Huddersfield and so your input lacks credibility. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

As we have established already on this thread, your views on him are based on some things you made up about his debut for Huddersfield and so your input lacks credibility. 

Thank You for identifying yourself as one of the Dom Young pantie creamers 🤣

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Saint Toppy said:

Thank You for identifying yourself as one of the Dom Young pantie creamers 🤣

I don't think I ever asked.  Why did you make up the fact that several Saints tries on Young's debut were his fault (when the video clearly shows that wasn't true).

Were you just trying to rubbish him and expecting it would never be called out?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Most of the criticism isn't necessarily at Young, more at some of the posters on here continually creaming themselves over him and calling for him to be picked for England at the WC just because he's gone to play in the NRL and didn't stay in SL. Just because he's gone to the NRL doesn't make him a great player and doesn't automatically make him international class and ready for an England call up for the WC.

Young does have some talent, but is still vey raw and make an awful lot of rookie mistakes and errors. Not just handline errors & missed tackles but poor reads of the play which many young inexperience players do.  He still needs a lot more development before he reaches the level required for an England place.

See that’s why no one takes you seriously,you just make things up to suit your narrative,he must be the first winger in the history of the NRL to regularly make an “awful” lot of mistakes and keep getting selected.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Most of the criticism isn't necessarily at Young, more at some of the posters on here continually creaming themselves over him and calling for him to be picked for England at the WC just because he's gone to play in the NRL and didn't stay in SL. Just because he's gone to the NRL doesn't make him a great player and doesn't automatically make him international class and ready for an England call up for the WC.

Young does have some talent, but is still vey raw and make an awful lot of rookie mistakes and errors. Not just handline errors & missed tackles but poor reads of the play which many young inexperience players do.  He still needs a lot more development before he reaches the level required for an England place.

If we are excluding players for mistakes and errors then that will exclude an awful lot of SL players too. It's also far easier to look better in a dominant team where you aren't particularly tested than an average/poor one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

See that’s why no one takes you seriously,you just make things up to suit your narrative,he must be the first winger in the history of the NRL to regularly make an “awful” lot of mistakes and keep getting selected.

 

Well done getting that far . I stopped at ‘ continually creaming themselves ‘ as any decent argument ended there 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

If we are excluding players for mistakes and errors then that will exclude an awful lot of SL players too. It's also far easier to look better in a dominant team where you aren't particularly tested than an average/poor one.

Exactly and taking Makinson as a cert the other wing options come with their faults so it’s not unrealistic to have him as a possible contender for a England squad place,mind you I think he’s committed to Jamaica which might not be a bad thing for his continued development.

Hall ; No pace & turns like an oil tanker these days

Marshall : Really good Superleague winger but lacks size 

Davies : Solid but again not the fastest 

Burgess : Until this year has shown little form since his return from the NRL 5 yrs ago.

Ashton : Would be one of my picks but playing under Powell he hasn’t kicked on.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Squad:

Backs. 1. Tomkins 2. Welsby 3. Makinson 4. Burgess 5. Ashton 6. Newman 7. Percival 8. Farnworth 9. Wardle 10. Lomax 11. Williams 12. Sneyd/Smith

Forwards. 13. Burgess 14. Thompson 15. Walmsley 16. Sutton 17. Oledzki 18. Cooper 19. Leeming 20. Clarke 21. Bateman 22. Whitehead 23. McMeeken 24. Radley 25. Knowles

The loss of Dodd is massive for England - struggling for a class halfback (with a kick game) to challenge Lomax and Williams. I’d be tempted to leave out one of the centres for Batchelor to have a bit more cover in the SR - as Welsby can cover centre. Young discounted as he’s (likely) playing for Jamaica. 

Starting 13 in italics. 

Edited by GeordieSaint
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Squad:

Backs. 1. Tomkins 2. Welsby 3. Makinson 4. Burgess 5. Ashton 6. Newman 7. Percival 8. Farnworth 9. Wardle 10. Lomax 11. Williams 12. Sneyd/Smith

Forwards. 13. Burgess 14. Thompson 15. Walmsley 16. Sutton 17. Oledzki 18. Cooper 19. Leeming 20. Clarke 21. Bateman 22. Whitehead 23. McMeeken 24. Radley 25. Knowles

The loss of Dodd is massive for England - struggling for a class halfback (with a kick game) to challenge Lomax and Williams. I’d be tempted to leave out one of the centres for Batchelor to have a bit more cover in the SR - as Welsby can cover centre. Young discounted as he’s (likely) playing for Jamaica. 

Starting 13 in italics. 

Mikey Lewis??

Id select Young in the England squad and put the ball firmly in his court

Backs:
1. Tomkins, 2. Welsby, 3. Makinson, 4. Percival, 5. Newman, 6. Wardle, 7. Farnworth, 8. Young, 9. Ashton, 10. Lewis, 11. Lomax, 12. Williams

Forwards:

13.Walmsley, 14. Burgess, 15. Thompson, 16. Oledzski, 17. Lees, 18. Knowles, 19. Joe Batchelor, 20. Radley, 21. Clarke, 22. Bateman, 23. Whitehead, 24. Sutton, 25, McMeeken, 26. Leeming

TRAIN ON SQUAD:

Pearce-Paul, Handley, Watkins, Cooper, James Batchelor, Jones, Havard, Smith, McIllorum

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...