Lionel Hurst has his say on Rugby League in the South

1 minute ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Before he worries about promotion, he should worry about the competition becoming a viable concept that sees regular fixtures for all. 

There’s not been a great record at that level of competitions lasting very long. 

agree.. remembering back to the days of NL3 and the idea it would evolve to be north and south conferences seems both a long time ago and also only yesterday! 

If they stick with it and work on it thats all we ask and its what has been needed for 100 years with any expansion..

15 minutes ago, RP London said:

agree.. remembering back to the days of NL3 and the idea it would evolve to be north and south conferences seems both a long time ago and also only yesterday! 

If they stick with it and work on it thats all we ask and its what has been needed for 100 years with any expansion..

Don't hold your breath.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Before he worries about promotion, he should worry about the competition becoming a viable concept that sees regular fixtures for all. 

There’s not been a great record at that level of competitions lasting very long. 

Totally agree. The southern conference is a great step forward but the idea that some of these clubs would be ready at this time to step up into league one at this time is a bit ridiculous. Once the competition is established and viable who knows, but at this time it's not something that should be considered 

13 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Totally agree. The southern conference is a great step forward but the idea that some of these clubs would be ready at this time to step up into league one at this time is a bit ridiculous. Once the competition is established and viable who knows, but at this time it's not something that should be considered 

I do hope no one is seriously thinking that... l one step at a time as you say.. hopefully we get to the stage that they are strong enough but at the moment lets just have a nice comp that is a good standard and helps the clubs develop 

Good luck to Lionel Hurst and all the others in their efforts.  Lionel has worked hard and indeed selflessly for many years to develop the game in the South.  I hope the Conference will do well.   

The issues of promotion and relegation however are moot.   The rewards and  incentives for doing well are however very important.

I won't read the article because it's the Sun and this will sound like a silly question by myself but is the Southern Conference effectively the same time at the National Conference  Premier League we have up North? 

If so the winners would a match between the winners of each competition? 

Imagine a game between let's say Hunslet Parkside and Hemel.

7 minutes ago, newbe said:

I remember when Hemel Stags won there NCL final v Huddersfield Underbank. The season before they went to league 1. So it is possible a southern team could win.

That was the RLC Division 3 so not the same. Not outside the realms of possibility a southern team could win but would be very unlikely at this time. Best thing is for this league to get established and strengthened. 

Lionel is not the architect or even vaguely behind this concept.  It was proposed last year by RFL Clubs and Competitions.  The current format is based on one devised by two club admins, neither of whom are named Lionel Hurst.  I don't know if this is the Sun being the Sun and not fact-checking or if Lionel is genuinely passing himself off as a key architect of this competition.  He made a suggestion at the end of the season and, because he has profile beyond his actual usefulness, people picked it up.  However, let's not make any mistake about this, what has turned up is not his creation.

45 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

Maybe he is not welcome at the Broncos after he stint as CEO there a few years ago ?

Or maybe he wasn’t up to travelling having recently recovered from a serious operation to rid his body of cancer. 

Mr Hurst has given tens of thousands of pounds of his own money towards developing rugby league in the south of England, I think he deserves a bit of respect. 

12 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

Mr Hurst has given tens of thousands of pounds of his own money towards developing rugby league in the south of England, I think he deserves a bit of respect. 

Ok I accept that he may have not been well enough to travel.

Can you clarify what he has spent this large sum of money on? 

Archived